Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trailer Storage

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Arr MiHardies View Post
    I'm contemplating getting a 622 trailer. But lets say in Nevada, you are lucky to fit two cars and a bike in a three car garage. How do you all store this thing?
    Arr, you have seen my trailer. What I do is push it in sideways next to the wall, and park the Spyder in front of it (the side). While not a garage my parking space is about as long as a garage.
    Is it Friday yet? ... Oh yeah, I forgot. I'm retired

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold
    2014 RT - Testing completed
    2016 F3-T Audio package - Sold

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Spyder View Post
    What's a garage?
    During the summer months the spyder and 622 trailer live out side covered with BRP covers. During the winter the spyder and trailer are stored indoors at the dealer.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Four bikes in the 2 car garage and the trailer in the 1 car. Car stays outside.

trailer storage.jpg
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by asp125 View Post
    Take something like a furniture dolly, pad all the rails and add a vertical back to lean/tie the trailer to. Then tip the trailer on end and roll it against the wall.
    In our single car garage we have most everything that is not on a shelf stacked on dollies. So basically everything that is on the ground is also on wheels. We are constantly emptying out the garage to get to something that is on the far wall. Our neighbors must think we are nuts.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

I was gonna try something like a folding bed into the wall idea. The problem is the rear of the trailer. I had thought about having a flat piece of plywood that I would have "wheel stops". The plywood would have hinges to another piece of plywood secured to the floor. I envisioned securing the front part to the plywood, and having some pulley system to pull the front end up and towards the wall.

The other idea was the harness with a lift. I'm not sure my joists would support.

Bottom line is that my FX-35 is sitting out in the driveway and the spyder and trailer are in it's spot.

Chris
    Last edited by MouthPiece; 03-12-2013 at 05:40 AM.

Very Active Member Arr MiHardies's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MouthPiece View Post
    I was gonna try something like a folding bed into the wall idea. The problem is the rear of the trailer. I had thought about having a flat piece of plywood that I would have "wheel stops". The plywood would have hinges to another piece of plywood secured to the floor. I envisioned securing the front part to the plywood, and having some pulley system to pull the front end up and towards the wall.

The other idea was the harness with a lift. I'm not sure my joists would support.

Bottom line is that my FX-35 is sitting out in the driveway and the spyder and trailer are in it's sport.

Chris
    neat idea. You have some plywood, hinged onto a storage cabinet on the wall. back the trailer onto the plywood. secure the trailer to it with wheel straps and something to secure the tongue. then lift it up. could even use a crank setup (like a drawbridge) to raise it up into the "cabinet" with minimal effort. Huh. this may even be low tech enough that I can build it.
    President - Spyder Ryder of America - Mojave Desert Chapter
    National Web Master - Spyder Ryder of America

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    In our single car garage we have most everything that is not on a shelf stacked on dollies. So basically everything that is on the ground is also on wheels. We are constantly emptying out the garage to get to something that is on the far wall. Our neighbors must think we are nuts.

I got the idea from Mercedes, they use a cart to store their hardtops. http://www.silverstaroutfitters.com/...dtopcart_1.jpg
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Very Active Member Desert Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I bet Lamont has an idea. He never disconnects. At least, I've never seen a picture of his bike stand alone.
    Happy Spyder Owner
    States visited on the Spyder.
    And if we live life without a passion, then we're not living.

Spyder Garage

If I had a trailer I'd fabricate a trailer tip up rack sorta like the this one that I hacked out in a couple of minutes in SolidWorks. The proportions are not correct as I don't have a trailer to measure but you get the idea. Park the trailer on the rack, lock the ball, strap the tires down and stand it up next to the wall... if someone could provide the basic measurements of one I could make a scale model.

Trailer Rack.jpg
    Yes, I have a fabrication and machine shop...

Enjoy
    John

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jthornton View Post
    If I had a trailer I'd fabricate a trailer tip up rack sorta like the this one that I hacked out in a couple of minutes in SolidWorks. The proportions are not correct as I don't have a trailer to measure but you get the idea. Park the trailer on the rack, lock the ball, strap the tires down and stand it up next to the wall... if someone could provide the basic measurements of one I could make a scale model.

Trailer Rack.jpg
    Yes, I have a fabrication and machine shop...

Enjoy
    John
    That's basically what I was "trying" to describe although I did not articulate it all that well. I talked about plywood, but metal would be even better. The key though is having something that will stop the tires at a sufficient distance that the rear end of the spyder will not hit what will ultimately be the base of your set up. There would need to be a good 2' (I'm guesstimating). The other thing would be that the portion that ultimately becomes the base will need to rotate. At least I think it would.

Chris

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MouthPiece View Post
    That's basically what I was "trying" to describe although I did not articulate it all that well. I talked about plywood, but metal would be even better. The key though is having something that will stop the tires at a sufficient distance that the rear end of the spyder will not hit what will ultimately be the base of your set up. There would need to be a good 2' (I'm guesstimating). The other thing would be that the portion that ultimately becomes the base will need to rotate. At least I think it would.

Chris
    Hooking the trailer hitch to the ball on top would set the location of the trailer on the stand. I think that you could just pick it up and let it sit on the vertical part of the trailer holder, much like you stand anything up. Strapping the axle down would prevent any movement while vertical so the trailer and the trailer holder would be as one. That photo is just a simple depiction of my idea, it would need braces where the tubing changed direction. The rear of the trailer would be in front of the rear of the stand so there is no way you can touch the rear of the trailer as you raise the stand up.

John

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That's basically the idea with the "moving cart" - just add casters on the base and you have the ultimate trailer dolly.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jthornton View Post
    Hooking the trailer hitch to the ball on top would set the location of the trailer on the stand. I think that you could just pick it up and let it sit on the vertical part of the trailer holder, much like you stand anything up. Strapping the axle down would prevent any movement while vertical so the trailer and the trailer holder would be as one. That photo is just a simple depiction of my idea, it would need braces where the tubing changed direction. The rear of the trailer would be in front of the rear of the stand so there is no way you can touch the rear of the trailer as you raise the stand up.

John
    There is no axle, per se, on the RT-622. It uses two coil-overs on short pivot axles. Better and easier to tie down with tire straps or webs.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Default trailer rack

• Dry Weight 250 lbs
    • Gross Trailer Weight Rating(GVWR) 400 lbs
    • Maxium weight on trailer tongue 40 lbs
    • Maximum loading capacity 150 lbs
    • Overall Length 92.5"
    • Overall Width 44.5"
    • Overall Heigth 34.6"
    • Ground Clearance 6.3"
    • Wheel Size 12 x 4 inch
    • Tire Pressure 35 psi

this is off the brp site about the trailer would need the ball to center of wheel measurement

an idea is round the pivit spot to mak the lifting of the front easer and when it stands full the weight would keep it slightly tipped back against the wall without touching

the ball attachment in the diagram would defiantly need gusseting and have some means of attaching the wheels to the bottom to keep it firmly on the rack

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tx web rider View Post
    • Dry Weight 250 lbs
    • Gross Trailer Weight Rating(GVWR) 400 lbs
    • Maxium weight on trailer tongue 40 lbs
    • Maximum loading capacity 150 lbs
    • Overall Length 92.5"
    • Overall Width 44.5"
    • Overall Heigth 34.6"
    • Ground Clearance 6.3"
    • Wheel Size 12 x 4 inch
    • Tire Pressure 35 psi

this is off the brp site about the trailer would need the ball to center of wheel measurement

an idea is round the pivit spot to mak the lifting of the front easer and when it stands full the weight would keep it slightly tipped back against the wall without touching

the ball attachment in the diagram would defiantly need gusseting and have some means of attaching the wheels to the bottom to keep it firmly on the rack
    It would be close for an 8' ceiling but I think it could be made 7'9" tall and still work. The only number missing is the distance from the ball to the center of the wheels.

I think 1" x 14 gauge square tubing would be plenty heavy to hold the trailer. The model is without any bracing, but for sure some would be needed. Some eyes inline with the tires and short ratchet straps to fasten the tire to the rack would lock the trailer down.

It would be a balance between ease of lifting and stability with the radius on the corner. The bigger the radius the easier to lift and the less stable.

John

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Big Arm View Post
    My garage keeps getting smaller and smaller......'76 Cadallic (19'), Silverado PU, MG midget, Spyder GS, Bushtec trailer, Two riding lawnmowers, mini bike ....... What's a guy to do
    Get a bigger garage!!

Spyder Garage

Another idea this is what I am installing in my new shop. I have an Aluma trailer I use behind the rt.
    Love the 3 wheels way of life

2011 RT Limited

Mods

Custom vinyl wrap
    Two brothers exhaust
    custom glo riders
    carbon fiber dash kit(orange)
    2013 15 inch wheels powder coated orange
    all factory castings powder coated orange
    Elka's
    Baha Ron sway bar(will be powder coated orange next winter)
    Spyder pops (every thing he has for the rt)
    Lamonts hiway pegs

Very Active Member Desert Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I like this! Must co$t a bunch. Checked the website. $2395. Half the cost of a new 622.
    Happy Spyder Owner
    States visited on the Spyder.
    And if we live life without a passion, then we're not living.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mcaccamise View Post
    Just a thought u could add a rear bumper simolar to a push bar with some castor roller wheels and make your trailer into a stand up against the wall design.My bike trailer from former two wheelers was a stand up design thet u pushed up close to the wall and out of the way pretty easy for one person.
    Mike
    Try standing it up on it's tail...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Spyder View Post
    What's a garage?
    Think I define it as a place for the overflow of "stuff" once the basement is full. Although implied, usually never enough room to park 4-wheeled vehicles. A clean and well-organized one is usually the sign of a sick mind

Sorry - I know I was not the only one thinking it (no offense to those of you actually disciplined enough to have one well-organzied and park-able)
    MODS 2013 - Ultimate, Remote / LED Halos, Pete's Dash kits , Elka's!
    2011 RT A&C-SM5 - Orbital Blue (mine)
    Xenon Lights, Polk speakers (4), 5-LED lamps, fog lights, Sypderpops grills, OGB grips, TIPS and CHANNELZ lights. Seal FLRBDS, Two Brothers Muffler, ZUMO 665 w XM, Gloryders, HMT Brake.
    2012 RT-LTD SE5 -Lava (hers)
    MODS: Spyderpops chrome grills, TIPS and CHANNELZ lights, HMT Brake, Seal FLRBDS, Gloryders, OGB Grips

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderrock View Post
    Another idea this is what I am installing in my new shop. I have an Aluma trailer I use behind the rt.
    Very interesting... Please let us know how well it works...

Thanks for posting this!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

cover it real well or build a portable garage, or get one of those blow up things that they have for cars or get a cover for ur car, id leave the car out side, lol
    2018 F3 , Red