Thread: LIMP MODE

Spyder Garage

Default LIMP MODE

Two weeks ago I was finishing up about a 2 hour ride going up and over a 8 mi. hill. On desent about half way down "limp mode" showed up on the screen and the temp guage bottomed out to the cold side. I made it home since I only had a couple of miles left. At this point I was due for the 600 mile service so when I took it to the dealer I told him about the "limp mod" issue and the temp reading . I also told him that the negative extended battery terminal was only snug and needed tighting. When I picked up the spyder after service the dealer said the loose bat. terminal was the cause of the limp mode and temp problem.
    Well I was coming home today from a ride on the same route at the same exact place and once again got the "limp mode" with the temp guage pegged cold. I pulled over shut the unit down pulled the key and walked away for a few minutes......came back and it started up and showed a normal temp reading with out the LimpMode showing, I didn't have time when I got home to check for fault codes or the bat terminal but I will do that tomorrow. Anyone have any thoughts on this issue? Could the thermostat be sticking open? BTW there is a ambiant temp delta coming up and over that hill.
    I'm riding a 2012 rt-s sm.

Spyder Garage

Default LIMP MODE

Make SURE that you're NOT touching the brake pedal!! Had that happen to me on our 2011 RT-S. Had the dealer adjust the brake & haven't had any further problem with it. Turned out that there was NO tolerence on the Brake pedal at that time. Simple adjustment did the trick. Hope this helps. Bandit
    KEEP YOUR KNEES IN THE BREEZE!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

As said, riding the brake will put you in limp mode. Happened to me with 200 miles on BR1....Now pay attention to right foot and have not had it since....

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA
    If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The readout on the temperature gauge crashing makes me think of a loose connection...
    But don't follow me; I'm lost too!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

My not to mechanical guess is also loose battery terminal or riding the brake a bit down the 8 mile hill. Let the tranny be your brake on the long stuff if you not doing that.

Oil level checked. When is not level, a low oil level will show up sometimes.

Also mentioned--check the error codes in case it is a mechanical glitch.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 03-08-2013 at 03:43 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

What are your fluid levels. Check your brake fluid and coolant levels. Beyond that, time for the dealer to try again.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the suggestions it's always nice to know where to go for help. You folks are the best and full of spyder knowledge.
    So I checked the fluid levels and battery terminals..... they all checked ok and I don't ride or touch the brake pedal while cruzing. (learned that by riding ATV's for years) So tomorrow I will ride again toward my dealer and see if I can repeat the problem.

Spyder Garage

OK, I will go out in left field here. How many times have you ridden this road before this happened? If this is your first 2 times, could it be a radio/electronic signal being put out by something in the area? If this issue never happens anywhere else, I would just correct (as you have done), ride and enjoy.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Spyder Garage

Well I went for a ride today headed north 2 up outside temp about 50. About 5 miles into the ride I noted the temp guage moving from just below mid range to finally settling out at just above dead cold. I'm cruzing about 55 MPH in 4th gear (I have a 2012 rt se) Slowly very slowly the temp starts to climb to just below mid range of the guage. Now while cruzing thru speed zones in 2nd gear at about 4.5 rpm the temp climbs to the three quarter mark ....after resuming to 55mph the temp quickly drops to just above dead cold again and then slowly returns to just below mid guage.
    QUESTION: Is this normal to have such a slow reacting thermostat or do I need to see my dealer.The unit only has 800 miles on it.
    The good news it didn't go into the limp mode again. However I think if it were a little colder it might have.
    Thanks again for all you advice.

Spyder Garage

This is not normal, you got something going on. As Scotty said, time to go back to the dealer.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sawtooth View Post
    About 5 miles into the ride I noted the temp guage moving from just below mid range to finally settling out at just above dead cold. I'm cruzing about 55 MPH in 4th gear (I have a 2012 rt se) Slowly very slowly the temp starts to climb to just below mid range of the guage. Now while cruzing thru speed zones in 2nd gear at about 4.5 rpm the temp climbs to the three quarter mark ....after resuming to 55mph the temp quickly drops to just above dead cold again and then slowly returns to just below mid guage.
    Dead cold? Well, one thing's for sure, your gauge isn't showing the temperature of your engine. While your engine is running, burning fuel and producing heat your temperature gauge appears to be on a wild trip of its own.

Could be the gauge, the transponder, or the wiring. Needs fixing though, it's dragging your attention away from the important business of safely riding your trike.

2011 RT-S SE5, Acumen Tempest Cat-1 Alarm, SmoothSpyder Belt Tensioner,
    Autocom Super Pro Auto, Garmin Zumo 550 BT, 10amp Socket, Front Fender LED's,
    Grip Puppies, Spyderpop Belt Guard, Nautilus Horn, Shortee Antenna, BajaRon's Swaybar,
    Cree LED Day Running Lights.

Spyder Garage

Default sleep?

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    This is not normal, you got something going on. As Scotty said, time to go back to the dealer.
    You don't sleep much do you? I've wonder how you get so much done
    Happy Spyderlovers