Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Still Having Shifting Problems

I had problems last month with getting my 2012 RT SM5 into gear. I checked the oil level per Lamont's suggestion, and it was half way in the range on the dip stick. I added oil to the top of the range and also checked the clutch fluid level. It was on the low side so i topped that off with Dot 4. Also charged the battery. This seem to work, the bike was shifting again. Now a Month later I went to take it for a ride today and squeezed the clutch Lever and felt nothing there. So I checked the clutch fluid level and it was low again, So i topped in off, but i must be loosing it somewhere. No signs of a leak that i can see. I started the bike squeezed the clutch lever and it felt good again. Shifted threw the gears and it seems right again. I took it for a quick ride to the store and i thought i felt the clutch slip in 2nd gear but it didn't do it after that. On the way back from the store about a mile from the house the shifting seemed to be more difficult so i drove back in 2nd gear and as soon as i pulled in the driveway had nothing left again when i squeezed the clutch Lever. Felt like the clutch fluid was gone again. So i checked the clutch fluid and the level is still full, also checked the oil level and thats full. It might be time to have it towed to the dealer. Only 3000 miles,

Spyder Garage

First, is the clutch fluid discolored...black with sludge? That is a sign of a failing clutch slave cylinder. The cylinder (bushing) piston, and O-rings will all need to be replaced. This has been a problem with some Spyders. If the fluid is just low, but still clear, you might need only the slave piston O-rings. Time to see your dealer...or order the parts to fix it yourself.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

The fluid looks clear Scotty, I will call the dealer tomorrow. It's under warranty. I appreciate all of your help

Thank You, Frank

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Man View Post
    The fluid looks clear Scotty, I will call the dealer tomorrow. It's under warranty. I appreciate all of your help

Thank You, Frank
    Loss of clutch fluid without visible leakage is almost always at the slave cylinder...although it could be a hidden leak elsewhere, that you just didn't find. The loss of clutch function (hard shifting) points to the slave cylinder. Damaged O-rings during assembly are a frequent cause in those cases, but they are also known to deteriorate. The good news is that it is an easy repair, and should only take a couple of hours or so if they have the parts. The bad news is that it doesn't show up on computer diagnostics, so you need a technician that is also a decent mechanic to figure it out. If they get stumped, have them call BRP dealer tech support.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Default Have to agree..!!

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    First, is the clutch fluid discolored...black with sludge? That is a sign of a failing clutch slave cylinder. The cylinder (bushing) piston, and O-rings will all need to be replaced. This has been a problem with some Spyders. If the fluid is just low, but still clear, you might need only the slave piston O-rings. Time to see your dealer...or order the parts to fix it yourself.
    Might also check that there is no air in the lines. But if your not up on hydraulics take it to the dealer.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black