Thread: Cutting Antenna

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Cool Cutting Antenna

As anyone out there tried to cut the antenna to make it a little shorter? If so, how much did you cut off and how did it affect the radio reception? Were you able to reinstall the rubber antenna tip?

Spyder Garage

Default Don't

DON'T cut your antenna, an antenna is made the length it is to match up with the wave length of the signal it is trying to receive. A shorter antenna has some other electronic characteristic that maintains the same effective length. If you need/want a shorter antenna you should buy one.
    Ed

They told me not to give up on my dreams, so I went back to sleep.

Champagne 2017 RTS SE6
    Quantum Blue 2012 RTS-SE5 "Bluebell, Bell for short" - Traded 09/2017

Spyder Garage

A shorty antenna is available at your local Walmart for approx. $9 so why mess with the OEM antenna. By the way the OEM antenna is fiberglass not metal as I first thought. I found this out when I broke it pulling out of my low profile trailer I also like the looks of the Walmart shorty better. Just my opinion.

2012 Spyder RT Limited
    Guardian Bell (gift from son)
    Spyderpops bumpskid
    ISCI hand brake
    BajaRon Anti-Sway Bar
    BRP Adjustable Wind Deflectors

Spyder Garage

Thumbs down Don't Cut!

Hello fello Wisconsinite. I would not recomend cutting it and like others have said, if you want a smaller antenna I would go to Wally world and buy a cheaper shorty there. Good luck.

Spyder Garage

Buy the short one from Wally World.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Leave it full-length; it'll be easier to use at a later date if you need a marshmallow stick!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Have to agree..!!

Save the OEM antenna as a spare, sell it or like mentioned above cook with it...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Marshmallows ain't cookin'...
    It's advanced "Chefery"!

Spyder Garage

Default Cutting Antenna

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderflyer1 View Post
    As anyone out there tried to cut the antenna to make it a little shorter? If so, how much did you cut off and how did it affect the radio reception? Were you able to reinstall the rubber antenna tip?
    Antenna is a simple piece of carbon fiber rod and very easy to cut with simple side cutters. I cut mine about 2 inches for my low clearance garage door and easily re-installed the rubber tip and can find no difference in radio reception - so - cut away if you need to.

Spyder Garage

Both sides of the issue mentioned here. I vote for the Wally world shorty. Have one and used it. I thought better reception. Upside: You still have your $67.00 or so OEM antenna in reserve.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Thanks

Thanks for everyone's opinion. The only reason I was thinking of cutting the OEM was because I am having one hell of a time getting it off. I guess I'll keep trying and head to Wally World.

Spyder Garage

My stock antenna catches the rear top of my new 7x12 enclosed trailer as I load or unload the Spyder RT. Does anyone have the link or part # for the Wally World one mentioned here? Thanks!
    David
    2012 Spyder RTS SE5 - Sold

Spyder Garage

Thanks for everyone's opinion. The only reason I was thinking of cutting the OEM was because I am having one hell of a time getting it off. I guess I'll keep trying and head to Wally World.
    Yes it is torqued on there pretty tight. I had a hell of a time getting mine off as well. Ended up using two small nosed vise grips, one on the nut, one on the metal above it and using them together finall got it loose. It takes some patience. Then get the Wally World one. Looks and works great!
    Name: Eric Heims
    Red 2016 RTS, Diamond R Armrests, Ram X Mount, Doc Humphreys Dampener, BajaRon Swaybar, Spyderpops "Critter Splitter"

"It is the common fate of the indolent to see their rights become a prey to the active. The condition upon which God hath given liberty to man is eternal vigilance; which condition if he break, servitude is at once the consequence of his crime and the punishment of his guilt." John Philpot Curran 1790

Spyder Garage

I haven't tried it but, maybe a socket will go down over the antenna and then you could use vise grips on the socket.
    Ed

They told me not to give up on my dreams, so I went back to sleep.

Champagne 2017 RTS SE6
    Quantum Blue 2012 RTS-SE5 "Bluebell, Bell for short" - Traded 09/2017

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default my friend broke off the brass stup where trying to remove the antenna

on my wife 2012 rt a/c was putting in the rear speakers. had to take off the whole back of the bike to put in the speakers. so when we got to the right side tried to remove the antenna and my friend broke it off. the lock tight that is used at brp is real good stuff. had to take the brass box that holds the antenna off and take my touch and heat it up and burn of the lock tight to get the screws out. I would try very carefully and not put to much force on it. it will break. you will be taking off the right side of the truck to fix it. good luck

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default my friend broke off the brass stud where trying to remove the antenna

on my wife 2012 rt a/c was putting in the rear speakers. had to take off the whole back of the bike to put in the speakers. so when we got to the right side tried to remove the antenna and my friend broke it off. the lock tight that is used at brp is real good stuff. had to take the brass box that holds the antenna off and take my touch and heat it up and burn of the lock tight to get the screws out. I would try very carefully and not put to much force on it. it will break. you will be taking off the right side of the truck to fix it. good luck

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ringalls51 View Post
    I didn't think about using a torch to heat the antenna block so the screw broke off at the base and I had to order another block ( too,too much loctite)

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I gotta tell ya, sounds like a lot of work and possible grief. Maybe I should re-think the whole shorter antenna thing and just live with what I've got. Besides it sounds like it will take way too much time away from being on the road. mmmmm garage or seat time?

Spyder Garage

2012 Spyder RT Limited
    Guardian Bell (gift from son)
    Spyderpops bumpskid
    ISCI hand brake
    BajaRon Anti-Sway Bar
    BRP Adjustable Wind Deflectors

Spyder Garage

Thank you for posting the link.

David
    2012 Spyder RTS SE5 - Sold

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Besides it sounds like it will take way too much time away from being on the road. mmmmm garage or seat time?
    That's why projects like these are best relegated to the DARK TIME between riding seasons!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canam1 View Post
    I didn't think about using a torch to heat the antenna block so the screw broke off at the base and I had to order another block ( too,too much loctite)
    ...or the wrong type. The blue is specified. If they used the red you will need heat to break the bond.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The wrong Loc-Tite can really teach you and yours some new vocabulary...