Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default I really, really don't like...

MICE!!!
    Took our spyder in for it's 6,000 mile service today. And got a call from them before we barely got out of their driveway. Seems mice had built a nest all in the front end! When we picked it up, they gave us two baggies full of insulation. I have been riding this winter, so I don't think the nest is recent, but thankfully, there was no damage yet. And no wires chewed through.

We are even storing the spyder in one of those big truck box containers. Didn't think mice could get into it. Did I tell you that I really, really, don't like mice?

This means war! I'm going hunting! If your spyder is in storage, you better check it. No matter how safe you think it is. I sure thought mine was safe.

Spyder Garage

Default AGREED

Quote Originally Posted by Dustybell View Post
    MICE!!!
    Took our spyder in for it's 6,000 mile service today. And got a call from them before we barely got out of their driveway. Seems mice had built a nest all in the front end! When we picked it up, they gave us two baggies full of insulation. I have been riding this winter, so I don't think the nest is recent, but thankfully, there was no damage yet. And no wires chewed through.

We are even storing the spyder in one of those big truck box containers. Didn't think mice could get into it. Did I tell you that I really, really, don't like mice?

This means war! I'm going hunting! If your spyder is in storage, you better check it. No matter how safe you think it is. I sure thought mine was safe.
    I fight them all the time . They eat Decon like candy. YEP I ALSO HATE MICE!
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Red Stallion: 2016 F3t SE6 (from Pitbull PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    White Knight: 2014 RTS SE6 and matching 622 trailer (from Pitbull
    PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    Ms Spydee: 2010 RT SE5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

...Furry little can find their way into almost anyplace... Willie Sutton must have taken lessons from them.
    We cover the end of the exhaust with tinfoil, and have had decent luck with dryer sheets up under the Tupperware...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Have to agree..!!

Have had to deal with wiring nightmares during my time wrenching. Air boxes are a favorite especially if its a paper filter. But on faring bikes anything gives...good luck..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Re: I really, really don't like...

Any tips on mice demise that will keep dogs and cats safe? Our rat terrier is a great mouser and I'm leary of her finding a poisoned mouse and eating it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Put some pine scented moth balls on the floor around your bike...no more mice.

Spyder Garage

Mice and such are very crafty and can get into spaces that you would not think possible. Good ammunition against them is to get a cat.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I forgot about them...
    Mothballs also help to discourage them
    Just don't ask how they get them away from the Moths!

Very Active Member Desert Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Mice??? Oh crap...what next? Limp Mode, Throttle Bodies, and Mice, Oh My!
    Happy Spyder Owner
    States visited on the Spyder.
    And if we live life without a passion, then we're not living.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Like mentioned,;.....
    Moth ball's; I've been using them for years [40] I will not use poison, sometimes poison doesn't just kill the intend victim's.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Lucky you got to them before they chewed up your ignition wires. Trust me, arcing under the hood is NOT something you'd like to see. BTDT.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

Default peanut butter

put some peanut butter on the trap of your choice. that will take care of it. i've heard a mouse can squeeze through a 1/4 inch opening, so you've got to seal things up REALLY tight.
    it was fun while it lasted.

Spyder Garage

I have had them eat the peanut butter off the trap and not trip it. That's both mouse and rat Victor traps. I have to be careful where I've placed traps because Stumpy is in their size category!

Spyder Garage

Had a mouse nest in the air box once, but since I put in the 4 post lift and stored it up there, no more mice. Store the bikes up there also. To get up there they would have to climb one of the smooth painted post.
    Happy Spyder Owner
    ISCI Floorboards, Ebrake extension peg, Hand Brake, and hyway pegs, tjfisher2 passenger peg extension, BRP 23" Ultra Touring Windshied, Backrest, Fog Lights, 12volt accessory plug, NMN 4" handlebar risers, Auto Zone red LEDs, BRP Comfort seat, Evoluzione sway bar, powerbus, powerlets and air shock.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Did you, by any chance, wire them up to a little bit of voltage???

Spyder Garage

I use steel wool to keep hem out of places I don't want them going. I know it doesn't work everywhere, but it is more effective than poison. When they chew through the steel wool to get inside something, they ingest it. It cuts as it passes through and they bleed out. I know, I am a mean old Bd, but it will always work.
    Three in the garage, and I think I can fit at least one more in.....and then we will have to build another garage.
    The roads in NY are so bad that I am glad we bought a Ryker Rally

Just sayin'............

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

My sweet husband came home loaded for bear..er..mice! He brought moth balls, poison trap, and glue traps. Nobody messes with my spyder!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

He sure sounds like a keeper!
    He DOES empty the traps; right??

Spyder Garage

Don't kill'm.

Put'm to work!

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dustybell View Post
    My sweet husband came home loaded for bear..er..mice! He brought moth balls, poison trap, and glue traps. Nobody messes with my spyder!
    cheap bars of soap seem to work quite well in closed spaces on the pop up trailer. Can't see why wouldn't work to keep them out of stored spyder also
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Hate mice too

I am with you when it comes to hating mice. Now rats are a different story. A female mouse will not allow a male to with her when she is nursing, so he will kill the babies to get her to back in heat. Thus you have to keep the male away from the females when they are nursing. Also a mother mouse will kill another females babies if they get too close to her brood. Plus mice are light enough to swing up and bite you when you hold them by their tails, and their teeth are sharp.

Now rats are totally different. A male rat will not try any funny bussiness when the female is nursing. The female rat will nurse any baby that needs to be nursed even if not hers. They are too heavy to swing up and bite when held by their tails. Their teeth are dull so when they do bite it is more a pinch, and don't draw blood.

I used to breed rats and mice to sell to pet stores, and have been only bitten twice by a rat (I did deserve it) when I made them made, and way to many times by mice. Every time by a mouse it drew blood, but never by a rat.

Somewhere I have a picture of my oldest holding a rat (about 6-7 inches long) by their tail in each hand when she was around 7 years old.

Also you don't want to use poison, as whatever eats them will be poisoned too. Use a glue board type of trap.
    Is it Friday yet? ... Oh yeah, I forgot. I'm retired

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold
    2014 RT - Testing completed
    2016 F3-T Audio package - Sold

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I forgot about them...
    Mothballs also help to discourage them
    Just don't ask how they get them away from the Moths!
    somebody told me once you can get rid of them by stuffing cotton in their little holes ... if you can get someone to hold their little feet

did I say that out loud ... nah!!!

thehawk
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice ... in practice, however, that's just a theory.

Spyder Garage

+1 on the moth balls--I put a few in a baggie then place the baggie--open--in the bags--never had a problem.
    Last edited by rc51ny; 11-27-2013 at 07:27 PM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Re: I really, really don't like...

Yes. We moth balled the heck out of that storage container. My husband said the smell was even gonna keep away.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Spyder Garage

Default The height thing

That's BS about rats not liking height. I have watched rats at night here in Key Largo running accross over head wires with no problem. What is a squirrel but a cute rat.
    Don't just dream the dream! Live the dream! Sent from my coconut using tap-a-nut. Spyderlovers Southern-Most Member.