Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Another idiot question

I wonder why all the handbrake kits appear to be hydraulic....is it that much cheaper than a simple cable system or am I missing something...?

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default THIS QUESTION

Quote Originally Posted by Rayelljay View Post
    I wonder why all the handbrake kits appear to be hydraulic....is it that much cheaper than a simple cable system or am I missing something...?
    Maybe I'm missing something also but ......since the Spyder has a hydraulic braking system I'm not sure you add a handbrake with a cable system ,simple or not .......Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rayelljay View Post
    Safer - more reliable than a cable brake.
    WackyDan - Fun, not crazy.
    Charlotte (Matthews), NC
    Silver Moon SM5 - V35 and V46 Givis, CHAD, Motolight 35w steering lights, Dash Powerlets, Helibar risers, Garage door opener, Eastern Beaver PC-8, Digital voltmeter, Kewl Metal Intake, Evoluzione Sway Bar, RT Shocks and Juice Box PRO.
    *Mower deck in development*
    2008 model -new in crate, April 09
    26,000 miles.

Looking for other Charlotte area riders to cruise with and compare Spyders.

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

A hydrolic brake system is the most simplistic way to run effort from the hand lever to the area of the foot lever to activate the braking system without adding undue effort. If you used a cable every bend would add friction and the cumulatative effect would add a lot of of it. Also a hydrolic system is easier to balence out effort and actuation between hand lever and two front and one rear brake.

Spyder Garage

Default Confused..!!

I'm confused..are you referring to a cable operated disk brake system like mountain bikes have..? Cause logic should tell you its a bit harder to stop these spyders that a 20lb bicycle. Possibly they could come up with the leverage needed but not as simply as hydraulic. Must be the reason it is used so universally IMHO...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    I'm confused..are you referring to a cable operated disk brake system like mountain bikes have..? Cause logic should tell you its a bit harder to stop these spyders that a 20lb bicycle. Possibly they could come up with the leverage needed but not as simply as hydraulic. Must be the reason it is used so universally IMHO...
    I think you're missing some information.
    The handbrake systems do not operate the brake calipers directly, either through hydraulic or direct cables.

The handbrakes include some linkage or slave cylinder to the foot brake so that the hand brake is an alternate means of actuating the foot brake.

The brake mechanisms on the Spyder include the VSS and are too sophisticated to hack into directly.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You're always going to have to tip-toe around the OEM, computer-linked systems.
    Cables can do funky things if they're not properly lubed, if water gets down in them, if they're not properly run, if...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Early on there were a few home-brewed cable operated mods and even a few hydraulic versions that were tried. None was perfect, or really provided sufficient power to rely upon. After the ISCI hydraulic unit came out, these Rube Goldberg brakes fortunately disappeared. Better safe than sorry. How much is your life worth?
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

OK....I got it...a much better mechanical advantage and tidier to run.....many thanks.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up possible

Hi all a simple cable front brake can be used ask LA monster he did it i have all he parts to do it and at 190 bucks its about 1 fith the price of the hydralic ones .
    cheers mick

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Mick,
    I'm sure that you can build a real beauty.
    But sometimes the product that you buy from a known reliable vendor has been tested, re-tested, and then tested some more... All in the name of product liability.
    Reputable firms know that they live and die by their reputations; they'll sort a product out before pitching it out here for us.
    So; how much is knowing that the product has a company standing behind it worth to you?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default been away

The reason for the hydraulic braking system is safety related. A cable system would never get gov't approval for street use.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I didn't know that... Thanks!