Thread: PROGRESSIVE

Spyder Garage

Default PROGRESSIVE

just got this in an email: http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/peterlewis.asp
    don't follow my lead, but i don't think i'll be going to the INT'L MOTORCYCLE SHOW this weekend... even tho BRP sent me 2 FREE tickets...
    just say'n....
    SAM_0316.jpg

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Based on my experience with Progressive, and my daughters, they're a bunch of crooks. I place them just a smidgen higher than organized crime. That being said, I'll still go... The tickets are already paid for.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

As a Broker; I don't like Progressive, and I don't use them...
    But it's got nothing to do with any of the above; they DO seem to take good care of this customers when it comes to claims.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

The facts referenced in the link above have been known for quite some time. Glen Beck has talked about this on several occasions.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My daughter had Progressive for 5 years with no claims. She had a couple seat belt infractions, but other than that, a clean record. When she traded her 1991 Dodge Spirit for a 2011 Mazda 3, they raised her rate from $300 every 6 months to $1600 every six months. I decided to call USAA, to see if her becoming a member there would be a benefit, and they got her the same coverage for $600. I figured that if she tried to cancel, they would try to screw her, so I told her to lie, and simply tell them she couldn't afford the car payment plys insurance, so she returned the car. They billed her a settlement bill of about $100, which she paid. Somehow they must have followed up, and found out that car was still hers, and she switched insurance. They then sent her a bill for another $300 for only 3 days of insurance...

The price they quoted me for motorcycle insurance was more than what I'm paying for 3 cars.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Personally I would avoid Progressive for their political activism, but this story is very sad. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1775191.html
    I doubt most companies would act any different, its just one of the people involved has enough notoriety to get the story out to the public.

Spyder Garage

Default Good to know..!!

Never dealt with them but see that I would not be happy with them. Not that i'm happy with any of them all sneaky sly shifty etc. but one has to pick the best they can find. Good to have help from those who have had experience with them ( sadly most bad) thanks..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I have had Progressive for many years. They were great when my quad was stolen. Paid for the replacement and ALL accessories, even the Elka's. They are a little higher, but so far I cant complain about them. GO FLO

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Spyder_Cowgirl's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Never dealt with them but see that I would not be happy with them. Not that i'm happy with any of them all sneaky sly shifty etc. but one has to pick the best they can find. Good to have help from those who have had experience with them ( sadly most bad) thanks..!!
    Well ... not to defend anybody; but I think alot depends on the adjuster, the circumstances of the accident, and state laws. When spydercowboy had his accident in January 2012 (single vehicle, got trapped in a deluge of rain), Progressive was our carrier and within about a week of the accident presented us with two offers (as required by Texas state law):

1. One that would mean "we" salvaged the bike, retaining title to it and attempting to repair
    2. And one that meant "they" salvaged the bike, essentially taking full ownership and scrapping it

As the bike was totaled (and spydercowboy nearly was as well ... that's another story), we elected to go with the offer that meant they scrapped the bike. But, BOTH offers exceeded what we paid for the machine (a Honda 1300 VTX) and the second was nearly double. The adjusters (two of them) were always quick to respond to questions and there was never any doubt about our treatment.

All I'm saying is ... it just depends. If you get a jack for an adjuster then it's probably a very different experience than mine.

Be safe .... Ann
    __________________________________________________ _
    2016 RT Limited -- "Jubilee" (as in Cherries)
    Guardian Bell (gift from spyderowboy)
    ISCI Dual Flag Mount – Tall Poles
    Lamonster Bottle Holder and Spyder Cuff
    Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Rear Run / Brake / Turn LEDs
    Spyderpops Mirror LEDs
    Custom Dynamics HMT Brake

Spyderpops Keep Out The Trash (KOTT) Grills
    Don't Eat Mud / mudflap
    __________________________________________________ __

Spyder Garage

Although I'm definitely not of the same political persuasion as apparently the CEO of Progressive is, they did treat me very fairly when I had my accident last February.

Chris

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Progressive rates for my sportbike are almost 3x what I pay another company (same coverage).

Spyder Garage

On a site this large, we are going to hear good and bad about any insurance company that can be mentioned. I pick my company based on the fact that I have a local agent I can talk to when a problem arises, they cover my claims when needed, and don't gouge me to much when it comes to pricing compared to others. I have had the same insurance company since 1965 and they have followed me all over the country as I moved from one place to another.

My insurance company covers my home, my car, and my two spyders. When we had the 100 mph windstorm last fall and a tree fell on my car and bent the roof in, I was well taken care of. The car got fixed, a rental was provided, the bill got paid--no hassle--and my insurance rates did not go up over the incident. I guess you could call me a happy camper with my insurance company.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've spoken to several of their territorial managers about sportbike pricing...
    Their comments bascially were:
    "We know that there are going to be lots of losses on these; we're in it to make money!"
    I actually appreciate that kind of honesty!

Spyder Garage

I got a quote from allstate today. $100.00 higher for my RT than progressive
    Last edited by budro; 02-21-2013 at 04:10 PM. Reason: add

Spyder Garage

I've had progressive since MA changed the insurance laws, with all our cars, truck, bikes etc i was paying over $5000 a year. Yep that's not a typo $5000 a year to met life, I switched to progressive and paying less than $2000 for more coverage. Insurance was a scam in MA years back.

I've had no issues with them and I don't follow politics I have no say what goes on. I'm not allowed to vote, it was either my mental status or the fact I'm British prevents me from voting, can't remember which now.

harry
    "Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus"
    My Rides;
    Nimbus 2000, Ford Anglia, 2012 Spyder RT Limited, Pre 14 Vintage Classic Collectors Edition!

Favorite Ride;
    Nimbus 2000 boy this thing can fly.

Mods:
    Charm of invisibility, Reparo Charm (cuts down on service cost)

One always wonders about roads not taken.

Spyder Garage

After 40 years I switched from State Farm to Farm Bureau for HO and vehicle. I'll not go into the reason. I have better coverage for less money.

I respect your position and I appreciate your lead off with "Don't follow my lead". However, I'm sure there are more business owners who do the same thing for their own reasons. If we boycotted all of them... who would be left in business? I have VIP tickets to the show and we'll be there. By the way, had you pre paid for the tickets, would you still feel the way you do??
    Last edited by bruiser; 02-21-2013 at 07:33 PM.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bruiser View Post
    After 40 years I switched from State Farm to Farm Bureau for HO and vehicle. I'll not go into the reason. I have better coverage for less money.

I respect your position and I appreciate your lead off with "Don't follow my lead". However, I'm sure there are more business owners who do the same thing for their own reasons. If we boycotted all of them... who would be left in business? I have VIP tickets to the show and we'll be there. By the way, had you pre paid for the tickets, would you still feel the way you do??
    had i pre-paid.... i still wouldn't go.... my love for country would way over-ride the cost of a couple tickets...
    morals and ethics come before dollars...
    anyone want my tickets.....???????

Spyder Garage

Sorry to see you're not going Spyd3r, really wanted to have someone from close to home to ryde with (although now, weather is not going to co-operate) Hoping you change your mind, even at the last minute, but I can understand your stance. Still hoping we can get together for a ride one day, maybe to Maggie Valley? Let me know. Take care.

Spyder Garage

I've had great dealings with Progressive. When thy totaled my 2008 Spyder out last year I got within $1,000 of what I paid for my Spyder 5 years ago. Other car accidents, etc they've been great.

I'm personally very happy with the actions of their CEO. Afterall, their name is Progressive....

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Default Re: PROGRESSIVE

:o Progressive! Who knew?

From Deep in the Hart of Texas!
    2012 RT A&C bought new 42312 sold July 2018 56k miles currently driving a 2014 RTSE6 LTD bought October 2018 w 6800 miles nicely farkled
    2014 RT SE6 LTD , White

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

George Soros owns Progressive. Need I say more?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    I've had great dealings with Progressive. When thy totaled my 2008 Spyder out last year I got within $1,000 of what I paid for my Spyder 5 years ago. Other car accidents, etc they've been great.

I'm personally very happy with the actions of their CEO. Afterall, their name is Progressive....
    Glad to see that you're back!

Spyder Garage

For crying out loud, the fact that a dude that owns a ton of Progressive stock and isn't really involved in the actual running of the company much anymore donates his money to causes that don't meet your approval does not have anything to do with Progressive as an insurance company. The company itself has nothing to do with how one fruitcake spends his money. From what Snopes says, it seems the guy really, REALLY likes his weed, and appears to want to invest in weed's future, lol!

Now, if you boycott Progressive for fear that one cent of your money may end up in the dude's bank account... well, if it bothers you that badly, go ahead and boycott. But it isn't the insurance company itself that is doing anything... err, depending on your political views... wrong.

My mods: Ed Hardy "Love Kills Slowly" graphics, custom tag frame to match graphics, Kuryakyn floorboards, Street Magic Easy Risers, Mean City Cycles seat mod, BRP Ultra Touring windshield with wind deflectors, Street FX ElectroPod lighting kit, Street FX Tire Technix motion activated wheel lights, extended parking brake lever, SpyderPops super duper foot-saving heat shield (aaahhhhh!!!)

Spyder Garage

I did not know this but will stay out of the politics here and let each decide.

Setting that aside, Progressive did treat me very well when I hit a deer with my motorcycle four years ago. I was new to Progressive (they quoted about 1/2 the policy cost of insurer of my other motorcycle) and, when I had the accident, the motorcycle (and my Progressive policy) was a week old. I later transferred the other bike to this policy - and the Spyder is now there too. Cannot say the same about the way Geico handled the claim when a young lady hit my car which my son was driving.
    Last edited by Raknid; 03-08-2013 at 11:26 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderDuck View Post
    For crying out loud, the fact that a dude that owns a ton of Progressive stock and isn't really involved in the actual running of the company much anymore donates his money to causes that don't meet your approval does not have anything to do with Progressive as an insurance company. The company itself has nothing to do with how one fruitcake spends his money. From what Snopes says, it seems the guy really, REALLY likes his weed, and appears to want to invest in weed's future, lol!

Now, if you boycott Progressive for fear that one cent of your money may end up in the dude's bank account... well, if it bothers you that badly, go ahead and boycott. But it isn't the insurance company itself that is doing anything... err, depending on your political views... wrong.
    Love his stance on weed too....
    But you are correct in that he has nothing to do with the operations of Progressive. He took the company over totally in 1965 when they only had like 100 employees..... and grew the company to become the #3 car insurer in the USA. Can't fault the guy for being successful.

I'll be shopping mine around soon just to see what's up in the market, but Progressive was 1/2 the price of State Farm on my first Spyder. New Spyder is pretty expensive to insure.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!