Spyder Garage

Default Riding passenger.?

My goal. Any suggestions. This summer I want to ride my girl on the back. Never have rode anyone on back before. As u can see I have rs not rt
    Last edited by NVERLAST1; 02-19-2013 at 08:01 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Take many short trips first to a empty parking lot and it will be better to have her attend a mc training classes. Non rider passengers are dangerous people coz they don't know what to do. Be safe and have a nice ride.
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Passenger comfort

Be sure to get a back rest. . . . and have her use the passenger hand grips until she gets used to the handling.

From my experience, the Spyder is not as touchy as a 2 wheeler when it comes to the passenger shifting their weight or position.
    (A passenger shifting their weight at the wrong time on a 2 wheeler can cause great concern for the driver . . . . don't ask me how I know. )

Edit: actually, after looking at the pic of your RS (it is beautiful by the way!), do you have a passenger seat???
    If not, that'd be first consideration. (Sorry, I had to say it.)
    Last edited by Spyder Cat; 02-19-2013 at 08:09 PM.

Spyder Garage

Make sure you have a passenger back rest. Don't want anybody sliding off the back.

Tell her to lean the same say you lean.

It's going to feel different with more weight on the Spyder.

Take it easy on the exellerations and curves.
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Spyder Garage

Default A wrap..!!

Is she beautiful, do you love her..?? Then tell her to wrap herself around you. After a while she will get the hang of it and relax. And do what they said before me...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Great advice on the passenger back rest from everyone above. Nan had never been on a Bike 2 or 3 wheels. Explained to her what I wanted her to do & rode on 30-45 mile streets/roads a few times until she felt good about it, then started increasing the speed until I was doing 70 mph on the 4 lanes. Didn't take her long to relax and enjoy the ride.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

With my Rs I have been both the driver and rider..Longest trip without a backrest was about 220 miles, sitting on the stock seat...Found it very tiring by the end of the day...She needs to hold onto the hand grips vs. you, and she needs to learn to lean into the turns with you especially going into faster turns...Hopefully you have the video that came with your spyder, there is a part for a rider....I now have the upgraded seat and a back rest which makes it so much more comfortable when I am the passenger..Totally different ride than being on the back of a motorcycle..Have a great time out there...

Spyder Garage
    Current Spyder
    2015 Magnesium Metallic F3-S SE6

• Gauge Spoiler - Pegs @ #5 - Long Reach Bars - Detachable Passenger Backrest - Cross Country Saddlebags - Power Commander V - Power Commander Auto-Tune - Power Commander POD-300 - Two Bros S1R Exhaust w/Black P1X tip - Two Up Shock - Detachable Driver Backrest - Spyclops LED - LED Headlights - Route 129 Windshield

Retired Spyder
    2013 Magnesium Metallic ST-S SE5 5,467 Miles

Ryding Since 1/19/13

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Slow, small steps...
    Let her become comfortable with each step.
    and the backrest???
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Super Senior Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NVERLAST1 View Post
    My goal. Any suggestions. This summer I want to ride my girl on the back. Never have rode anyone on back before. As u can see I have rs not rt
    Also:::check your insurance & make sure passenger will be covered!!!
    2012 RT Limited Lava Bronze
    Inspector Gadgets cupholder & rear deck brake light

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
    Also:::check your insurance & make sure passenger will be covered!!!
    First year for me on a motorcycle and my wife wanted to go on rides and I did not like her on the back at all did not like it! So we went out in august and bought a 2012 re se5 now have 7500 miles on it and 3500 miles 2 up. Love it and 2up it handles great. Best thing we have ever done together and can not wait until this summer. So enjoy the Ryde and don't worry about being 2 up

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

To edit 2012 rs .......have to love the smart phone. But really get out and Ryde see what you like. We have sport rack and back rest and my wife does not like it to much yet but time will tell.

Spyder Garage

the back rest is a good idea,and my wife loves the arm rests she even bought them at are frist spyder festnow that was a grate hint what she nedded.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Sweetie rides on the back .. and sometimes, so do I. A backrest or topcase gives the passenger something to brace against and use the grab handles. Because it's not a motorcycle, cornering on a Spyder will want to throw a passenger towards the outside, so they have to lean with you.

I just wish someone would make a sleeker looking armrest for the RS without looking so much like an afterthought.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Post Missing link

Quote Originally Posted by jerpinoy View Post
    Take many short trips first to a empty parking lot and it will be better to have her attend a mc training classes. Non rider passengers are dangerous people coz they don't know what to do. Be safe and have a nice ride.
    Having read the thread I find one piece of missing information that is very important as far as I am concerned. Clothing !!! Advise her to wear comfortable clothing without doo dads that could get caught up in the working parts of the RS. Something else would be to stop more often to allow her unravel and stretch muscles that are not used to the riding position she must maintain.

don't forget sun screen in the summer months.

Ride safe and enjoy the threesome, you, her, and the RS!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by asp125 View Post
    Sweetie rides on the back .. and sometimes, so do I. A backrest or topcase gives the passenger something to brace against and use the grab handles. Because it's not a motorcycle, cornering on a Spyder will want to throw a passenger towards the outside, so they have to lean with you.

I just wish someone would make a sleeker looking armrest for the RS without looking so much like an afterthought.
    here here on the sleeker looking armrest. you'd think someone could come out with one to hitch onto the brp backrest..
    Last edited by spydaman60; 02-20-2013 at 07:49 PM.

Spyder Garage

Hubby rides as passenger nearly all the time we ride. Getting a backrest gave me peace of mind. We also put BRP Passenger peg extentions on. They help with leg fatigue. Biggest thing we did was get a sway bar and upgrade the shocks. I run about 18.5 to 20 psi in front. And about 28-30 psi in the rear. With the upgrades suspension components, I feel much more secure driving with more weight on the RS. If you don't upgrade your shocks make sure the stock ones are set on max. You will feel a significant lag in some turns. The extra weight makes the steering sort of "lag". I did not like it. No "lag" with the upgrades. We put the EVO sway bar on (which is no longer available. But Baja Ron as one now. And I have '11 RT shocks on the front now.
    Marilyn