Spyder Garage

Default BRP Warranty ridicules !!!

During my first ride after purchasing my new 2012 RT LTD last September I noticed out of normal vibrations between 5100-5500 RPM.

I noticed my local dealer that didn’t have a technician available to fix the issue till today. When I brought the bike in this morning to fix the out of spec belt the dealer told me he will charge me two hours since this is a maintenance issue. I mentioned to him that I complained about this issue from day one and I shouldn’t pay for something that was broken from day one. He told me that he discussed this with BRP and mentioned to them that this out of spec issue exist from the day I purchased the bike, BRP response was that this is a maintenance issue and I will need to pay for the fix

Is this how BRP treats their customers?

Spyder Garage

Can you elaborate more on "out of normal"? Because everyone has vibrations in that rpm range on the spyder.

2012 Spyder RS S SE5 Magnesium, Power Commander V with Autotune, HMF Exhaust, Green air filter,
    TricLed/Custom Dynamics Led Project titled "Knight Rider"

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If this is just a case of adjusting the belt tension; I'd have to say that it's your nickel... (sorry! )
    Your case may best be made with the dealer, since he knows that your complaints have been since very early on in the ownership of your bike.
    Try to get them to try the adjustment to see if the vibration goes away...
    Two hours worth of shop time for a belt adjustment is... excessive!
    Good Luck; please let us know what happens next!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I hope you get it fix without charge. Keep BRP inform on this situation .
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Spyder Garage

Didn't have a tech from Sept 2012 until TODAY! Sounds really fishy all around. BRP may have a point, though, since the dealer didn't call them until 5 months after the issue was noticed. If BRP still insists you pay, I would just ride and enjoy and do it out of the RPM range that causes the issue. Maybe even look for another dealer for a second opinion. May not be a belt issue at all, except maybe needing an adjustment.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Spyder Garage

One small Devil's Advocate thing here.

Did the dealer really talk with BRP? We sometimes get "the dealer said that BRP said". That sometimes turns out to be on the bogus side. I would trust but verify with BRP customer service.

I also agree that two hours shop time is a lot to adjust a belt--if that is what is needed here.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

A good dealer would try to work something out...like charge you less labor. Belt adjustment is part of the 600 mile service, and is on the owner's nickle, however. You should have signed an agreement to this effect when you signed your warranty registration. If the two hours is the entire 600 mile service, it is more than reasonable. If it is for belt adjustment only, it is excessive. Sorry you and your dealer had to get off on the wrong foot.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

I am not sure that they really discussed this with BRP (I am very suspicious on this), I am not sure how to check this ?

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    One small Devil's Advocate thing here.

Did the dealer really talk with BRP? We sometimes get "the dealer said that BRP said". That sometimes turns out to be on the bogus side. I would trust but verify with BRP customer service.

I also agree that two hours shop time is a lot to adjust a belt--if that is what is needed here.

Spyder Garage

PM Sent.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

spydertechsupport@brp.com .

715-848-4957 OR 819-566-3366
    12/14/2011 Update:
    819 566 3035

Customer Service Callcenter
    NEW CONTACT AT BRP:
    Crystelle LaChance
    1 819 566 3446

Spyder Garage

Thanks Bob for the informaition.

Sharon

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    spydertechsupport@brp.com .

715-848-4957 OR 819-566-3366
    12/14/2011 Update:
    819 566 3035

Customer Service Callcenter
    NEW CONTACT AT BRP:
    Crystelle LaChance
    1 819 566 3446

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good Luck!
    Please let us know if she's able to help!

Spyder Garage

Mite try a KRICKET II i got 1 at Napa for $18 look up the thred that Lamont has on how to check it with 1 2013-02-19_20.39.23.jpgIt is a belt tension tester.
    2012 RT Limited. Flag graphics, Lower vader wings LEDs, Lower day runner LEDs, Uper turn signal LEDs, Tip LEDs, Finder strip LEDs, Mud flap running an turn LEDs, Inside morrirs turn LEDs, 3-4 brake LEDs, Blue LEDs top under dash, Cup hollders, Large foot rest, HWY foot rest, K&N air flter, GloRyders with remote, Elka shocks 1+R, Soomthspyder, GoPro Hero3, BRP hitch, Diamond shadow trailer.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Just some random observations.

1. As said above, they all have a vibration in that range, they like to be wound out more.

2. If this is truly an issue that has to be fixed, I would have taken it back after my first ride and had the dealer look at it. If the belt was out of spec on the first ride, it's something the dealer did not set up properly as part of that big setup fee he charged you.

3. If your dealer did not have a tech available from Sept until middle Feb, it's time to find a new dealer.

There are several threads on here where it looks like BRP is in the wrong, but I believe this is all on your dealer, not BRP; even if it's just the fact that he did not explain the normal vibrations.

Good luck, after this long I'd probably just wait until the 600 mile service when the belt gets checked and adjusted anyway.

Spyder Garage

Default Not so random..!!

Quote Originally Posted by motoford View Post
    Just some random observations.

1. As said above, they all have a vibration in that range, they like to be wound out more.

2. If this is truly an issue that has to be fixed, I would have taken it back after my first ride and had the dealer look at it. If the belt was out of spec on the first ride, it's something the dealer did not set up properly as part of that big setup fee he charged you.

3. If your dealer did not have a tech available from Sept until middle Feb, it's time to find a new dealer.

There are several threads on here where it looks like BRP is in the wrong, but I believe this is all on your dealer, not BRP; even if it's just the fact that he did not explain the normal vibrations.

Good luck, after this long I'd probably just wait until the 600 mile service when the belt gets checked and adjusted anyway.
    As a mechanic who had to deal with the manufactures I never had them refuse on issues like this.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Purchase a smooth spyder

Quote Originally Posted by szohar View Post
    During my first ride after purchasing my new 2012 RT LTD last September I noticed out of normal vibrations between 5100-5500 RPM.

I noticed my local dealer that didn’t have a technician available to fix the issue till today. When I brought the bike in this morning to fix the out of spec belt the dealer told me he will charge me two hours since this is a maintenance issue. I mentioned to him that I complained about this issue from day one and I shouldn’t pay for something that was broken from day one. He told me that he discussed this with BRP and mentioned to them that this out of spec issue exist from the day I purchased the bike, BRP response was that this is a maintenance issue and I will need to pay for the fix

Is this how BRP treats their customers?
    Call Captain Jim and purchase the smooth spyder belt tensioner and your problem will be solved. The vibration You are getting is normal at that RPM range
    Don't just dream the dream! Live the dream! Sent from my coconut using tap-a-nut. Spyderlovers Southern-Most Member.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Is he a cousin of yours?

Spyder Garage

Default Bob!

Is he a cousin of yours?
    We are all cousins! How You doin today cous!
    Don't just dream the dream! Live the dream! Sent from my coconut using tap-a-nut. Spyderlovers Southern-Most Member.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Just fine... Got some shoveling to do up here today; Mother Nature slapped us across the face with three more inches of frustration!

Spyder Garage

Default Sorry to hear that

Just fine... Got some shoveling to do up here today; Mother Nature slapped us across the face with three more inches of frustration!
    Wife and I are going deep sea fishing today on a party boat out of Islamorada Florida. It should be about 81 degrees today with light winds.
    Hang in there. Spring is just around the corner.

Spyder Garage

I'm still counting. 39 days to April 1--mostly "springy" at that time.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Is April 1st about as early as you can dust the bikes off, and point them down the road??

Spyder Garage

Bob: That is my target date only. The clincher is when the snow and ice melts from my shady side road and driveway. The first year at this location I was riding by the second week of March. Last year, all time snow record, it was mid-April. I am guessing late March to early April this year. Time will tell.

ooooooooooooops: Sorry for the thread hi-jack.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 02-20-2013 at 03:03 PM.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

hoping that you can get an early leg thrown over the saddle!