Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Eliminate Thigh Cramps

So I'm tall and thin-hipped so sitting in the position required to ride a Spyder, even an RT, can cause cramping in the front of my upper thighs. Perhaps you've experienced the same thing.

Here's what I've learned helps to alleviate the cramps when they do occur: Rock/lean forward in the saddle. You don't need to lean a lot; just enough to relieve the stress on that area of your legs.

I still need to occasionally stand up on the pegs to straighten out my legs or do so at stops, standing on the ground, but the realization that I just need to keep leaning forward slightly has helped me a lot. Hope it helps you, too.

bc

SpyderLovers Sponsor scooterexpress's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

after reading both of your threads to relieve pain you need to start up a "SPYDER AEROBATICS"class..with the slogan we will come to you.

Tall flag mount, spyderpops skid plate & stainless steel screen mesh, airhawk adjustable cushion, raised white lettered tires.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Do you have Highway pegs, or floorboards? I used to get some cramps in the thighs at first, but with Lamont's NBV pegs, I have no problems anymore.

Spyder Garage

Default Good to know..!!

Great advise for those who at times ryde the long freeways and stop only for gas. Thanks..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I used to have cramps but not since I swithched to using Seal Floorboards. They also add stability and allow me to move my feet around some.
    2013 Pure Magnesium Spyder RS-SM5 Cal Sci medium clear windshield, R-35 hard sided saddlebags and fitments rack, 2013 Can-Am Spyder ST Limited Embroidered Stock Seat, Trunk opening spring, fire extinguisher, Passenger backrest and rack, Added side mirrors, Handlebar bag.

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by billc View Post
    So I'm tall and thin-hipped so sitting in the position required to ride a Spyder, even an RT, can cause cramping in the front of my upper thighs. Perhaps you've experienced the same thing.

Here's what I've learned helps to alleviate the cramps when they do occur: Rock/lean forward in the saddle. You don't need to lean a lot; just enough to relieve the stress on that area of your legs.

I still need to occasionally stand up on the pegs to straighten out my legs or do so at stops, standing on the ground, but the realization that I just need to keep leaning forward slightly has helped me a lot. Hope it helps you, too.

bc
    Thank you BillC for this info. I too sometimes have problems with this and this is good to know.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by scooterexpress View Post
    after reading both of your threads to relieve pain you need to start up a "SPYDER AEROBATICS"class..with the slogan we will come to you.
    Yeh, and now that I'm not having as many cramps, I could actually DO some aerobatics!!!

You need to ride your Spyder into Utah. We have fabulous scenic highways and you've come up to our doorstep already, judging from your signature state map.

bc

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by donec View Post
    I used to have cramps but not since I swithched to using Seal Floorboards. They also add stability and allow me to move my feet around some.
    There's no question that the Seal Floorboards would be a terrific addition and, judging from the length, it could completely eliminate even the standing on the pegs. The problem is the price tag. But then, what price can you put on comfort, eh? I'll have to ponder more on getting some. Thanks for the reminder!

bc

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Great advise for those who at times ryde the long freeways and stop only for gas. Thanks..!!

Aha!!! Another long-distance rider!!! That's my way of riding!

bc

Spyder Garage

The floorboards will be a wise investment to make riding better for you.
    2012 Spyder RS SM5 - Steel Black Metallic "The Murder"
    Southern Cruisers Riding Club - Chapter 072 - Northern Illinois
    Two Brothers M2 Pipe; TB Juice Box; Hartco Custom Saddle; Rivco Driver Floorboards; Rivco Heel Toe Shifter; ESI Highway Pegs & Brackets; ESI 4.5" Easy Riser Handlebar Risers; BajaRon Sway Bar; Cycle Sounds Series 3 200 Watt Sound System; 14" Touring Windshield; Custom Dynamics Mirror Extensions; Kuryakyn ISO Grips; Kuryakyn Throttle Boss; Kuryakyn End Weights; Frunk Liner.

Spyder Garage

I thought I was the only one with this problem? I'm not tall but I am roundish. I sometimes get butt/thigh cramps. If I move my left foot off the peg forward it's almost an instant cramp.
    Sometimes it so bad I have to stop and get off the spyder.
    I figure it may be a UN-hydrated problem? But if I'm properly hydrated, that causes other problems.

Spyder Garage

There's no question that the Seal Floorboards would be a terrific addition and, judging from the length, it could completely eliminate even the standing on the pegs. The problem is the price tag. But then, what price can you put on comfort, eh? I'll have to ponder more on getting some. Thanks for the reminder!

bc
    There's a little more to consider. You said you are rather tall, if you have long legs (read that as over a 32" inseam) then you should understand that the Seal Floorboards when installed sit on top of the standard pegs. This could mean that your knees will be bent quite a bit. Also when you extend your feet out to the end of the boards due to the width of the Spyder your legs will be spread even more. I have hip problems and so I am not able to ride with my feet extended for very long.

With that said I find that using the Seal Floorboards gives me a good stable platform when making turns or in curves. I can press my foot down against the floorboards and it makes me feel like it is easy to stay on the Spyder instead of feeling like I need to squeeze with my knees to hold on like I was on a horse.

One more note and that is installing the Seal Floorboards is very easy. I installed mine and even though I had to sit in a chair (have a lot of trouble getting down on the ground and back up due to arthritis and a bad back) I was able to do it in about a half hour.
    2013 Pure Magnesium Spyder RS-SM5 Cal Sci medium clear windshield, R-35 hard sided saddlebags and fitments rack, 2013 Can-Am Spyder ST Limited Embroidered Stock Seat, Trunk opening spring, fire extinguisher, Passenger backrest and rack, Added side mirrors, Handlebar bag.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cavman View Post
    I thought I was the only one with this problem? I'm not tall but I am roundish. I sometimes get butt/thigh cramps. If I move my left foot off the peg forward it's almost an instant cramp.
    Sometimes it so bad I have to stop and get off the spyder.
    I figure it may be a UN-hydrated problem? But if I'm properly hydrated, that causes other problems.
    YES!!! I could create the cramp by just lifting my foot off the peg or moving it forward a bit as you suggested. I assure you, you're not alone and, since my cramps can occur immediately after mounting the bike at home where I've topped off my "personal water tank," it can't be dehydration...at least, not for me.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by donec View Post
    There's a little more to consider. You said you are rather tall, if you have long legs (read that as over a 32" inseam) then you should understand that the Seal Floorboards when installed sit on top of the standard pegs. This could mean that your knees will be bent quite a bit. Also when you extend your feet out to the end of the boards due to the width of the Spyder your legs will be spread even more. I have hip problems and so I am not able to ride with my feet extended for very long.

With that said I find that using the Seal Floorboards gives me a good stable platform when making turns or in curves. I can press my foot down against the floorboards and it makes me feel like it is easy to stay on the Spyder instead of feeling like I need to squeeze with my knees to hold on like I was on a horse.

One more note and that is installing the Seal Floorboards is very easy. I installed mine and even though I had to sit in a chair (have a lot of trouble getting down on the ground and back up due to arthritis and a bad back) I was able to do it in about a half hour.
    Excellent points! Thank you. I had to give up my Gold Wing Aspencade (1500cc) due to the need to ride constantly as if I were doing the splits thanks to the horizontally-opposed engine cylinders so spread-eagle riding won't work for me. I can just stretch out one leg at a time, though. Right now, I just hold a leg straight out to the side but that gets really old in about a tenth of a second.

If the floorboards don't raise my legs too much, it should be okay. I have a 33" inseam. In fact, most of my height is in my legs and I'm 6'1-1/2".

And, having been a knee-squeezer since my first Spyder (2010 RS SE5), being able to press down on the boards will be an added advantage.

Thanks so much for the added insights!

bc

Spyder Garage

YES!!! I could create the cramp by just lifting my foot off the peg or moving it forward a bit as you suggested. I assure you, you're not alone and, since my cramps can occur immediately after mounting the bike at home where I've topped off my "personal water tank," it can't be dehydration...at least, not for me.
    Do you have the RT comfort seat that gives the driver 2 inches more room? Seems to me it would help a lot to allow your feet to be more out front and a little less bend in the knees. I have the standard factory pegs but I have added Lamonster's highway pegs. they can be adjusted to give real good streching out room, I wouldn't travel without them.
    Happy Spyderlovers

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by StanProff View Post
    Do you have the RT comfort seat that gives the driver 2 inches more room? Seems to me it would help a lot to allow your feet to be more out front and a little less bend in the knees. I have the standard factory pegs but I have added Lamonster's highway pegs. they can be adjusted to give real good streching out room, I wouldn't travel without them.
    No, I have the stock seat. Had the comfort seat on my previous ride, the 2010 RS SE5, and it was nice but I wasn't sure it was worth the additional bucks. I'll have to consider the RT comfort seat. Thanks for the thoughts!

bc

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Gee... I kind of look forward to a good cramp once in a while; they keep me nice and alert!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Gee... I kind of look forward to a good cramp once in a while; they keep me nice and alert!
    Hmmmm. Maybe I shouldn't complain now that I'm a...here it comes..."cramp-pa."

Ugh.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

A couple of good cramps during the day is what keeps me awake at work!
    Back of the thigh
    Outside of the calf
    Ooh! thumbs are a real eye-opener!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I have also found that Seal Floorboards are very helpful on rides. I can shift my feet around a little as well as shift weight. It works for me.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I'm height challenged, when my legs get tired I just hang my feet off the front of the pegs. It helps.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Spyder Garage

you might need the boards that drop your legs dowen lower than the stock pegs.these is what docdu has and told me about ,ask him how to find them,i got them off ebay two years ago.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Eat lots of bananas, yes it really does help.

States We Have Been To On Our Spyder

My mods: Green filter, Air box mod., Muzzy exhaust, Cat Bypass, Exhaust Heat Wraped, Powder coated all Bare Metal surfaces, Capt. Jim`s Belt Tensioner, Custom Built Highway Pegs, Elka front shocks, RS-S rear shock, 2011 smaller windshield, Dynojet PowercommanderV & Autotune, NGK iridiom DCPR9IEX spark plugs, Maxxis MA-Z4S Victra rear tire, General Altimax HP 185/60R14 front tires, Corbin seat & backrest, BRP hitch. I need to stop!

Spyder Garage

You guys need to stretch more. Stretch the quads on the front of you thighs by grabbing your foot with the hand on the same side. Gently stretch the front of your thigh. If you can't reach your foot with your hand, get a length of rope and put a loop in it to slide your foot into. Then pull on the rope. Everyone should be able to touch their heel to the back of their thigh.

Hamstrings, on the back of your thigh can be stretched sitting down. Lean forward from the hips not your waist. Bend with legs together and legs apart.

Dehydration could be more of an issue than you think. A lot of people walk around borderline dehydrated all the time.

I will admit that I am lucky I'm short overall so my legs fit the Spyder quite well. But being more flexible can't hurt and might help. I'm not kidding when I write this.
    Marilyn

Spyder Garage

Excellent points! Thank you. I had to give up my Gold Wing Aspencade (1500cc) due to the need to ride constantly as if I were doing the splits thanks to the horizontally-opposed engine cylinders so spread-eagle riding won't work for me. I can just stretch out one leg at a time, though. Right now, I just hold a leg straight out to the side but that gets really old in about a tenth of a second.

If the floorboards don't raise my legs too much, it should be okay. I have a 33" inseam. In fact, most of my height is in my legs and I'm 6'1-1/2".

And, having been a knee-squeezer since my first Spyder (2010 RS SE5), being able to press down on the boards will be an added advantage.

Thanks so much for the added insights!

bc
    I also have a 33" inseam so you should be ok, I'm 6' 0" at 298lbs and love the Seal Floorboards.