Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Please keep us posted as to what transpires. I also believe a careful test drive on your part is warranted. Interesting about the blocks and the carpenters level. We will see if the dealer is playing games or is actually doing correct work on your .

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mettlerk View Post
    As i stated in an earlier post, i dropped my RT off at the dealer last thursday. I called for an update, friday, saturday and again monday. I was told that they hadnt had a chance to look at the bike yet but would get on it tuesday morning, today. I went by the dealership at lunch and noticed by RT sitting on blocks, front tires off and a 4 foot level strapped to the bottom. Not sure what they were doing and no one there could explain it to me. About 4pm this afternoon the service manager called me and said the bike ready for pick up. I ask the stupid question, "what did you find". the response was, out of alignment your ready to go. I not the smartest guy in the world but i'm pretty sure that these bike werent aligned using a 4 foot carpenters level! I wonder if a good 50+ MPH test drive was done after the so called alignment was completed...i bit it wasnt. I drop it off with 97 miles on it, for a proper test there should be at least 30 or 40 more miles. We'll see tomorrow.
    You are right, the carpenters level isn't the proper method. Tell the dealer to contact BRP. Most of the materials, including the necessary magnetic laser, can be purchased at the home improvement store, but the pitman arm centering jig needs to be purchased from BRP. This is not something they should be gusessing at...the prescribed procedure should be followed to the letter!

Registered Users
    Tucson, Arizona (winter), Burwell, Nebraska (summer)
    Spyder Garage

Default BRP acknowledges some problems

Quote Originally Posted by can-am sam View Post
    After my dealer checked the aligment it did not fix the steering problem. They contacted BRP and told them to not to release my Spyder till a solution is found. I then called BRP customer support. Yesterday Damien from BRP called me to keep me in the loop. To those who have the steering problem I urge you to go back to your dealer and report the problem. It is not safe to drive on the highway with this condition.
    I also received a call from Damien at BRP yesterday. Very supportive attitude. He has taken the initiative to contact my servicing dealer, who is still waiting for parts. But, Damien will also follow up and keep in regular contact. He stated that there are 3 sceanareos with the 2013's: 1) they come off of the line perfect, 2) some come off of the line with alignment issues, and 3) some come off of the line with a combination of alignment + steering issues. The alignment issues they already have a fix for. The steering issues are more difficult and they are currently testing at their Arizona test site. But, he believes they can get this problem resolved soon, as they are giving the matter TOP priority and putting other issues on hold. He felt that my problem, because it's more of a highway speed problem than a lower speed problem, leans more towards a sceanario 3.

Although my problem is not fixed, I feel 100% better that there is someone at the factory level that not only cares, but unlike my dealer, actually is committed to an old fashioned concept called "follow up."

While on that subject, let me confess that I am married to a Quebec lady. We have made many trips to Quebec, and although I'm sure there are more opinions than mine, I have come to believe that they could teach Americans a thing or two about customer service. It's impressive and important part of their culture. In other words, they still retain what we have traded away in the name of higher profits for stockholders.

Just my opinion, ....no offense to Americans and no offense to stockholders.

Spyder Garage

Thank you for posting the update.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by chris56 View Post
    ‎12 European journalists tested the new Spyders ST/RTs in Spain last week - seems they are running fine now !!
    Spain speed limit: 74.56 miles/hour....

Spyder Garage

I was wondering if the steering problem only happens with the Limited Blackcurrent? Is it due to the new color?

Spyder Garage

Default Spyder steering issue fixed!

Good news!

I just picked up my 2013 RT limited from the service department, the death wobble is gone! The dealer performed an alignment as directed by BRP. They found that the toe in was off by a little more then half. Something like 11 points, I think is want they said. I questioned the use of a four foot carpenters level in the procedure and was told, it was used as a straight edge to set up the laser that's required for a proper alignment. Don't know why that's required but it worked.

All I can say is I reached speeds of 77mph and the bike handled like a dream! Now it's time for me to get more saddle time to fix my handling issues.

Thanks to everyone for all the advice and knowledge that was passed along. I hope that everyone else that has this issue is able to resolve it as easy as i did.

Hope to see you at the owners event.

Spyder Garage

Good to hear your Limited is fixed!

Spyder Garage

x 2.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Excellent!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default 2013 RT Limited steering problem

Awesome Sam ... Freedom.

Jason Schwartz
    Long Island, New York
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Default amazed

just amazed the company released the Bikes knowing their was a problem or not knowing their was a problem and did not release a bullitin to all the dealers but hope their is not a law suit because of a accident due to neglect as my bike is not the quality I certainly paid for and just cant get it repaired yet ? Rich

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Flexing Black Currants

Quote Originally Posted by can-am sam View Post
    I was wondering if the steering problem only happens with the Limited Blackcurrent? Is it due to the new color?
    LOL, you may have something there Sam! Black does absorb more heat than the run of the mill white ones. SO, if you're traveling West, in winter months, and the sun is shining on the South side of the Can Am, that side will naturally absorb more heat than the opposite side of the machine. This could cause a differential of heat absorbsion causing the body to flex, and in turn the chassis, thereby leading to handling issues.

Why didn't I think of that??!! LOL

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Since my new ' 13 RT-L is at Honda East in Toledo, they checked with Can Am on my bike. All steering issues were corrected for mine before it left the factory.

+1 for Honda East for checking before I picked up the new bike.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by shrubs View Post
    Since my new ' 13 RT-L is at Honda East in Toledo, they checked with Can Am on my bike. All steering issues were corrected for mine before it left the factory.

+1 for Honda East for checking before I picked up the new bike.
    Have you had it on the highway and at speeds, Yet.?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by boborgera View Post
    Have you had it on the highway and at speeds, Yet.?
    Haven't picked it up yet. They are waiting on one part to arrive to install the options I ordered with it.

Spyder Garage

Default Any suggestions?

I'm hoping for some suggestions. I've decided to keep my new bike ('13 RT Blackcurrant) in the garage, until some official word on what BRP concludes from testing. I've discussed what I am experiencing with my dealer, and he wanted me to bring it in right away. Very nice of him to want to attack my issue, but I am leaning toward having the manufacturer discern the fix, before the dealerships starts disasembling the bike. What would you guys suggest?
    CP

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cpdblegl View Post
    I'm hoping for some suggestions. I've decided to keep my new bike ('13 RT Blackcurrant) in the garage, until some official word on what BRP concludes from testing. I've discussed what I am experiencing with my dealer, and he wanted me to bring it in right away. Very nice of him to want to attack my issue, but I am leaning toward having the manufacturer discern the fix, before the dealerships starts disasembling the bike. What would you guys suggest?
    CP
    I would take it in. BRP needs more data/feedback from the dealers to nail down the problem.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The more information that they can collect; the better!
    Besides; wouldn't it be better to have the bike in the shop now, rather than the primetime riding season?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    I would take it in. BRP needs more data/feedback from the dealers to nail down the problem.
    ...especially since the dealer asked for it. Have him come fetch it with a trailer.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    Not going to do any good sitting in your garage when it could be checked out and everyone learn from it!

Spyder Garage

I would take it to the dealer and have them do some troubleshooting. Doing so, you will be at the head of the line for the steering problem and not have to wait any longer than necessary for repair. Get it in early before the prime riding season starts.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default my 2013 RT LTD trucked to BRP's Arizona testing site today

Per BRP's and my dealer's request; my machine was delivered to the dealership today (I'm in Arizona) so that it could be collected by a BRP truck, along with other affected machines, and trucked out to their proving/testing site in AZ. I was told not to expect it back for at least a week, maybe longer.

For anyone (I'll insert myself at the head of the line) having any doubts about BRP's committment to taking a head on approach in addressing our handling problems, ...doubt no more. I'm advised by BRP that they have some of their best people down here, at the testing site.

Just wanted to keep the forum up to date. Stay tuned for further developments.

Ken (a non current rider with a black currant spyder)

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Post similar experience

Quote Originally Posted by CurrantRyder View Post
    I've accumulated more than 1,000 miles, about 40% of it at highway speeds (by necessity - I picked it up out of state and drove it home). I can guarantee you that it does not go away with miles, nor with more seat time. Nor does air pressure, gentle input, gritting your teeth, colorful exclaimations following suprise and terror, work.

I believe the problem is two fold; allignment (toe in) and electronic power steering, speed sensitive, calibration. One acting against the other. In a preliminary Knowledge Base released from BRP, it emphasis'd the importance of re-setting (with BUDS) the PS - after - allignment adjustments are completed. This tells me that BRP is on the right track. I wouldn't be suprised to learn that production PS units were different than pre-production units. That + faulty allignment may have conspired to create this debacle. Speculation on my part, we'll see.

Toe in adjustment is a very slight but precise adjustment on every front end I'm aware of. Usually it's less that a 1% adjustment from dead nuts parallel. However, my young service advisor told me that "eyeballing the front end, it dosen't look like it's out of adjustment." I only wish I had vision that equals his and Clark Kent's.

In the mean time, ride safe. Pay no attention to the semi's honking their horns in consternation as they blast past our weaving, inebriated riding style. My apologies for tone of this reply. Color me frustrated and feeling like a fool for spending so much money on a touring machine that won't tour.
    I almost the same thing happen to me with my 2011 RTL it turned out that the problem was me! I was subconsciously fighting the Spyder as soon as I learned to let it have its head it smoothed right outv. Not saying your uptight just making a suggestion.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Letting it have it's head dosen't work

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Ledford View Post
    I almost the same thing happen to me with my 2011 RTL it turned out that the problem was me! I was subconsciously fighting the Spyder as soon as I learned to let it have its head it smoothed right outv. Not saying your uptight just making a suggestion.
    I sincerely appreciate your experience Bob, but I've driven other Spyders and the number of complaints found in this forum are both too numerous and too dangerous to minimize by diverting attention to "pilot error" needlessly. I'm not saying that there is absolutly no pilot error issues, just that the type of high speed stability issues we're experiencing is far beyond any reasonable explaination.

The 2013's underwent some major changes in geometry, suspension, and steering linkage re-design. BRP did not go to the expense of bringing engineers, staff, transports, and then leased a testing site here in Arizona because they had nothing better to do.

The legal people might call this "prima facie evidence". I'll call it "responsible corporate initiative."