Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Trouble codes P0172, U0301, U0303

My 2011 RTS with 22000 miles had been running flawlessly until today. Last night I parked my RT in the garage and for the first time there was a strong smell of gas. This morning the RT started up as usual. It started to stumble/miss slightly after a couple minutes into the warm up. I checked for codes and got P0172. I decide to try riding her anyway...engine smoothed out after a couple of miles so I continued riding.
    When I stopped the code was gone.

After about 30 minutes I started it up again an it was stuck in 1st gear, transmission check screen came on along with the check engine light. Pulled codes P0172, U0301 and P0303. I was afraid it would not start again if I shut it down. Since I was less than a mile from I decide to ride home in 1st gear. It was running fine in 1st gear. It stalled at the intersection 20 yards from my house. . Cross my fingers and hit the the starter button. Fired right up, NO transmission check screen, NO check engine light. Codes cleared except for P0172. Started off and stumbled quite a bit then smoothed out, shifted into 2nd with no problem. Pulled into my garage and shut her down.

Any thoughts

Spyder Garage

I am no mechanic, and most likely someone will have the correct answer for you here, with what those codes mean. I have had issues similar to yours before and I believe half of them were related to the amount of oil I have running in the bike. Seems that when it was low it would always have crazy issues.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Oil was okay

The oil was the first thing I checked when I got home. Oil level was okay.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I searched and couldn't find any other posts on these codes. Check again in the morning and maybe some smart Spyder owner from the East will have found an answer for you. Good luck.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

SpyderLovers Sponsor scooterexpress's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

could be the throttle body maybe.have you had to replace yours yet?have you gotten all the updates needed for the t.b.? just asking

Tall flag mount, spyderpops skid plate & stainless steel screen mesh, airhawk adjustable cushion, raised white lettered tires.

Spyder Garage

I agree with Roger, the programming codes may have been a momentary glitch. Unless they happen again, I would ignore them. The fuel pressure code that remains shbe investigated, however. Time to see your dealer. Could be something as simple as a plugged fuel filter, but it could also be something much more ominous...that could leave you stranded all of a sudden...possibly in the middle of an intersection or on a busy freeway. That is no time for your ride to suddenly quit.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Crud clogged up the fuel filter from sitting maybe??
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default thanks

Thanks to all for the input. My bike never sits for very long. I live in sunny California . Took off this a.m. with no trouble codes, bike warmed up and ran fine. Gassed up a mile down the road and got a P0136 (O2sensor) along with the P0172 code again. Bike started and ran fine so I headed down the road and rechecked for codes after another mile. NO CODES! Road 150 uneventful miles up and down the coast. Trike ran great! I checked for codes several times during the ride and found no codes. Checked one more time when I got home, again no codes. My garage however smells of gas. I think it's time to see the dealer.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ICE View Post
    Thanks to all for the input. My bike never sits for very long. I live in sunny California . Took off this a.m. with no trouble codes, bike warmed up and ran fine. Gassed up a mile down the road and got a P0136 (O2sensor) along with the P0172 code again. Bike started and ran fine so I headed down the road and rechecked for codes after another mile. NO CODES! Road 150 uneventful miles up and down the coast. Trike ran great! I checked for codes several times during the ride and found no codes. Checked one more time when I got home, again no codes. My garage however smells of gas. I think it's time to see the dealer.
    Sounds like you better check for a fuel leak before you ride again.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default no leaks

I pulled the right side tubberware earlier and everything looked dry. No signs of any gas leakage. Also ran bike and checked for leaks while running. Could not find any leaks.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hopefully nothing serious, Did you replaced your gas cap yet? good luck.
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default update on trouble codes

Last Friday code feast appears to have been a bad hair day. Sat morning I fired up the RT, there was still a P0172 code. Headed down the road and topped off the tank about a mile from the house. Rechecked for codes...no codes. RT ran great all weekend, 400+ miles. No codes, no scary flashing lights. I will make an appointment with my dealer to check things out. Thanks to all.