Very Active Member eddieshep999's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Coolant Checking on the RT

Checking the coolant on the RT is not easy as the Coolant tank is located in the Tupperware and I find its not easy
    to see the level

Has anyone come up with a way you could use a dip stick type tool that once the Cap has been removed
    (And that's not easy with the amount of space available) you could slide the dip stick in until it reaches the bottom
    of the coolant tank and then remove the dip stick to see where the coolant shows up
    A bit like the way we have to check the oil

Any dip stick would need to have a level mark to show when the coolant is at the correct level and the dip stick would
    need to be flexible or shaped to allow it to go in via the cap and then reach the bottom of the coolant tank

There are many Spyder owners who seem to come up with inventive solutions to problems and maybe someone has managed to address this issue

Thanks
    Eddie Sheppard
    Poole Dorset UK

Get a Spyder - See the World

Spyder Garage

I put a LED light on my RS/GS

Teddys favorite human CyncySpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Re: Coolant Checking on the RT

Eddie, your making this WAY more complicated than it needs to be. Just do what Teddy & I do and wait for it to puddle on the floor. When the puddle reaches the front tire, its time to add a liter

uploadfromtaptalk1360847772461.jpg

Just kidding of course. We agree tho, its a pain in the *ss, even to get the dang cap off in the limited space available. Curious what others have come up with too.

Spyder Garage

I agree with an approach like Lamont's...although a flashlight or work light does a good job, too. Part of the process in checking with a dipstick would be getting the cap off each time. That is already a difficult task. I wouldn't want to skin the back of my hands or have to remove an additional body panel each time I wanted to check the coolant level.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

I have a flashlight with a flexiable neck about the size of a pencil. Take the cap off, put the light in the hole & you can see the coolant level---Budro

Very Active Member eddieshep999's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CyncySpyder View Post
    Eddie, your making this WAY more complicated than it needs to be. Just do what Teddy & I do and wait for it to puddle on the floor. When the puddle reaches the front tire, its time to add a liter
    Dave Your reply must have made Teddy nervous - He thought you said add a LITTER !!
    Eddie Sheppard
    Poole Dorset UK

Get a Spyder - See the World

Teddys favorite human CyncySpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Lamont, as always, Great idea bud

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post

We'll be stopping by radio shack to pick up an LED for this very mod. Might as well since we've already got Teds Sled stripped down, go ahead & do this for future use. Really like this mod. Thanks for sharing Lamont

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post

What a great idea! I usually hold a small flashlight to the canister. That lights it up enough to see the level. I guess it's time to get some more LEDs

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) currin20fan's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Dave & Teddy

Quote Originally Posted by CyncySpyder View Post

uploadfromtaptalk1360847772461.jpg

Just kidding of course. We agree tho, its a pain in the *ss, even to get the dang cap off in the limited space available. Curious what others have come up with too.
    Anyone that reads your thread knows that really happened to you but it did give me a good laugh this morning. Spilled coffee down my shirt......d@#$, I hate that when that happens!
    Last edited by currin20fan; 02-14-2013 at 03:03 PM.
    2015 RT Limited , intense Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

Default DYI Dipstick For Coolant

Noticed a few spots of coolant under my 2012 Sypder R/T recently. After reading this post, and getting frustrated with location/difficulty of checking the coolant level, I used a very long black zip tie for wires. Inserted the lock end into the coolant tank, then carefully inserted it until it hit bottom. Pulled it out, and the coolant level was clearly visible on the wire tie. Coolant level was at half the distance the wire tie was inserted into the tank, the bike was cold, so seems the level is OK.

i used a very long, about 10 inch wire tie so there was no possibility of losing it in the tank.
    2012 RTS M5 , Baja Ron Blue