Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Find me Spot

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=docdoru;576055]Works good

to bad it did not give the temperature

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NCSpyderRT View Post
    since Spyderfest is fast approaching and the wife was supposed to travel with me but cant due to work she is getting worried about the cross country trip that I am about to embark on. I will only be traveling across NC by myself and then getting with another spyder ryder in easter TN. What has my other half worries is the trip back from MO (1100 miles) by my self. So I was thinking about using a spot messenger ( http://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php ) to ease her mind. Has anyone used one of these before? Thoughts?
    Probably way too late to respond to this.

Short answer. The product and service is great. Doesn't rely on cell-service; but rather satellite-service; thus connects in areas where phones will not.

You do have to put it in a place where the it can pick-up satellites though.

I prefer to wear mine on my person just in case I am thrown clear of the machine and need to hit the SOS button. If it were on the machine you might not be able to get to it.

Nice for family or anyone you allow to track you. It also allows you to push a button to send an email stating you are okay; or whatever other "standard" message you create.

Do NOT buy the version that works through your cell phone; otherwise you are restricted by phone service.

SL #7026
    VBA #652
    HOG #3935417
    2011 Viper-Red Spyder RT SE5 & Trailer
    2017 HD Ultra Limited
    Former Rides: 2014 HD Ultra Limited; '04 Kawa Nomad; '09 HD Ultra-Classic; and many Hondas through the years.
    Spyder Newbies Do's & Do Not's: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-Spyder-owners

Spyder Garage

An alternative to the Spot locator is a SAR beacon. They're pricier out of the gate but no subscription required. They don't send "I'm okay" text messages, either, but their emergency signal is more reliable. If you're out of range of cell phone service, you may not be in the best spot for Spot service, either (pun intended).

http://www.amazon.com/ACR-PLB-375-Pe...I1NYIUWM5215W7
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Spyder Garage

Default Find me Spot

The findme spot that I have does not require cell service at all. 100% sat

Sent from my iPad Mini using Tapatalk

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NCSpyderRT View Post
    The findme spot that I have does not require cell service at all. 100% sat

Sent from my iPad Mini using Tapatalk
    The only time you can't get a signal out with the SPOT is if you are in a tunnel. I tracked all over the west and northwest last summer and it tracked perfectly and about half the time I didn't have cell service. No worries SPOT will do it's job.

Spyder Garage

Default Spot

My wife has spot on her Spyder. I would not consider going any long distance without it both our friends and my assistant can track our locations . In fact, I have had both of them contact my on the road when they thought we were going in the wrong direction

Spyder Garage

Default Spot Mounted

Here is my Spot mounted.

spot.jpg

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Don't have my glasses handy... is that clamped onto the upper-lip of the dash?

SL #7026
    VBA #652
    HOG #3935417
    2017 HD Ultra Limited
    Former Rides: 2014 HD Ultra Limited; '04 Kawa Nomad; '09 HD Ultra-Classic; and many Hondas through the years.
    Spyder Newbies Do's & Do Not's: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-Spyder-owners

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Illinois Boy View Post
    Don't have my glasses handy... is that clamped onto the upper-lip of the dash?
    Yes it is. I used RAM-B-259U RAM 1" X 1" U-CHANNEL CLAMP W/ 1" BALL

They are made for aircraft so I figured they would work on the spyder.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That's interesting. I have not used mine on the Spyder yet, other than clipping it to my jacket. I use in on my motorcycle, but there are handle bars to use a mount with. This looks like that might be a good way to mount it for the Spyder.

You know, I occasionally take-off and take rides without my wife and realized how dangerous it can be when a friend ended-up in a ditch one time and laid there for a long time before anyone found him. The problem was no one knew which way he was going, since he was just out for a short hour or two. He ended-up being fine, just so you know, but a wake-up call was given to me. I have had my fair-share of mishaps... and the "Spot" seemed like a great idea.

Thanks!

SL #7026
    VBA #652
    HOG #3935417
    2017 HD Ultra Limited

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Love my Spot!
    2014 RT Limited , Black Current (blacked out trim)

Spyder Garage

NC spyder

What are the other parts you used to mount the spot messenger. I see the U channel clamp but what are the other parts.

Thanks
    Larry
    2015 an Am Spyder RT Limited
    2013 Yamaha WR250R - Sold
    2011 Can Am Spyder RT-S SE5 Limited - Sold
    2011 Aspen Sentry Trailer
    2003 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2007 Unigo Trailer - Sold
    2001 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2001 Honda 750 NightHawk - sold
    2015 RT Ltd , Canamspyderaccessories Brake pedal ext. Red