Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Find me Spot

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Find me Spot

since Spyderfest is fast approaching and the wife was supposed to travel with me but cant due to work she is getting worried about the cross country trip that I am about to embark on. I will only be traveling across NC by myself and then getting with another spyder ryder in easter TN. What has my other half worries is the trip back from MO (1100 miles) by my self. So I was thinking about using a spot messenger ( http://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php ) to ease her mind. Has anyone used one of these before? Thoughts?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I have seen these before and they can be very useful in some applications. If you have a smart phone you can enable it (most) to track you as well for others to see. This option should be cheaper than Spot.

Spyder Garage

By chance do you have an iPhone?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Have you tried finding anybody else coming from North Carolina out to SpyderFest??
    There's safety and camaraderie in numbers!
    I'm a long-term Type I diabetic on an insulin pump; this trip has my Missus worrying like crazy! I've hooked up with a whole bunch of other bikes that are coming West in a caravan from the NorthEast; this has helped calm her down to where I think that she'll survive the trip!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I do have an iphone but I would prefer not to kill the battery using the GPS on it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Have you tried finding anybody else coming from North Carolina out to SpyderFest??
    There's safety and camaraderie in numbers!
    I'm a long-term Type I diabetic on an insulin pump; this trip has my Missus worrying like crazy! I've hooked up with a whole bunch of other bikes that are coming West in a caravan from the NorthEast; this has helped calm her down to where I think that she'll survive the trip!

I did try but timing was off.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NCSpyderRT View Post
    I do have an iphone but I would prefer not to kill the battery using the GPS on it.
    Your battery would take a hit depending on what other apps you have using your location data..

A free way to accomplish your goal is for your wife to use 'Find my iPhone' from a computer at home to locate your location. The only hit on your battery using this method would be when she is actually using the site to ping your location.

Of course you have to have 'Find my iPhone" turned on - on your phone and have your iCloud account setup.

I have an iPhone5 and I leave 'location services' enabled all the time and don't notice a big drain on my battery.

Let me know if you have questions and I'll try to help you out.. Be safe!

Spyder Garage

Default iPhone for GPS

I use my iPhone as a GPS on my Spyder, but have it hooked up to the DC cord to keep battery charged. Can you hook up to your battery by alligator clips or cig. Lighter adapter?
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Spyder Garage

since Spyderfest is fast approaching and the wife was supposed to travel with me but cant due to work she is getting worried about the cross country trip that I am about to embark on. I will only be traveling across NC by myself and then getting with another spyder ryder in easter TN. What has my other half worries is the trip back from MO (1100 miles) by my self. So I was thinking about using a spot messenger ( http://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php ) to ease her mind. Has anyone used one of these before? Thoughts?
    ask karyl(murphy brown)she has one and we followed her from west coast to nova scotia and back to the west coast
    Last edited by johnwinslow; 02-13-2013 at 03:59 PM.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Yes we have and we love it. It not only provides you with the peace of mind that you can get help anywhere you are, it also allows others to check-in on your location and travels as they please. I'm sure that someone will come back and tell me I'm wrong, but from our experience (two i-phone 4S) when you are outside of cell service areas (try Lame Deer, Montana) you don't have GPS support from your phone either.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Find me Spot

That was one of my thoughts as well. I know when I get in the Mtn's I may or may not have service. I have been in the Mtn's in NC with no cell service for hours.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

But it's a thought...
    We've all got a bit over two months () 'til the fun starts. That should give you some time to try and establish just what sort of battery life to expect AND figure out a mobile charging method!
    What route are you planning? Perhaps we've got some folks along that way, who can give you an idea as to how good the mobile phones work...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I use my Spot all the time. It's especially useful when riding in areas where there is no cell coverage. I place it around my right ankle and then if anyone asks what it is, I just tell them I was under house arrest. Get some strange looks.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I used mine on my 10,000 mile coast to coast last year and my family loved. I paid extra for tracking so my family could check my progress and location anytime online. I had a custom message that informed them that I had stopped riding and where I was spending the night. I also made a second message that would say," I need help! It is not an emergency but please try to call me!" I luckily never needed that message. Great peace of mind. I use it anytime I am riding a longer ride solo.
    2015 RT Ltd , Canamspyderaccessories Brake pedal ext. Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I use my Spot all the time. It's especially useful when riding in areas where there is no cell coverage. I place it around my right ankle and then if anyone asks what it is, I just tell them I was under house arrest. Get some strange looks.

You just can't go breaking house arrest like that!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 02-13-2013 at 06:30 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Find me Spot

Just picked one up at my local Best Buy. Time to figure this thing out.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spot is great for lots of adventure riders going places where there may be no cell reception, since it uses satellite technology. If you have an iPhone or Android device there are apps out there that do similar things. I used to use Instamapper until they went defunct last December. I am currently evaluating Followmee and Realtime GPS
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

You just can't go breaking house arrest like that!
    I have to have some fun....

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've got the Missus thinking about these; Thanks for bringing them up in here!
    Questions: I see what they sell for; (about $120); are there charges for monitoring the signal, and how do you set that up? Is it a Windows thing, or would an I-Pad suffice?
    Thanks!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've got the Missus thinking about these; Thanks for bringing them up in here!
    Questions: I see what they sell for; (about $120); are there charges for monitoring the signal, and how do you set that up? Is it a Windows thing, or would an I-Pad suffice?
    Thanks!
    It was pretty easy to set up. I only paid $99 at my local Best Buy. The services is $99 per year unless you get the tracking as well, that is an extra $50 per year. It was really easy to set up via the website. I did it on my computer and not on my ipad.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default findmespot

sounds like a great idea

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks NC!
    We're gonna have to meet up in Ozark; I think we've got some good stuff to talk about... NRA Benefactor 01.jpg

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Find me Spot

Bob I look forward to it. Hopefully have a proto-type ready for SF.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Find me Spot

Doing a test run with the findmespot if cares to see how the mapping is.

http://tinyurl.com/aw46nrl

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator
    Spyder Garage

Doing a test run with the findmespot if cares to see how the mapping is.

http://tinyurl.com/aw46nrl
    Works good