Spyder Garage

Default Paddle shifter for SE5 snapped off

Took Debbie out for BBQ today. We rode the Spyder about 35 miles to our favorite BBQ place. We took the day off for our 24th wedding anniversary. We had a great lunch and headed back to the freeway to go home. Right after we got on the freeway a pickup truck passed us and something fell off the back and bounced up and caught my left hand pretty good. Well we were riding along and decided to get off the freeway to make a quick stop at Costco. Got to the off ramp and started trying to downshift as we were coming up on a light. I couldn't find the shifter paddle with my finger. I finally got to a spot where I could look down and sure enough, what ever fell off of that truck snapped off my paddle shifter. There is just barely enough of the plastic left for me to shift but I have to put mt hand under the grip to catch what is left of the shifter to change gears. Guess I am going to have to go get that replaced. It is difficult to ride this way.

Very Happy Spyder Guy
    The 2015 F3 has over 46,000 miles
    Have Spyder...Will Travel

Spyder Garage

you're lucky that it didn't snap off one of your fingers

....and we're gonna ride, we're gonna ride.....

ride like the one-eyed Jack of Diamonds, with
    the devil close behind,.....we're gonna ride....

2008 GS.....PE # 2888

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hawkiii View Post
    Took Debbie out for BBQ today. We rode the Spyder about 35 miles to our favorite BBQ place. We took the day off for our 24th wedding anniversary. We had a great lunch and headed back to the freeway to go home. Right after we got on the freeway a pickup truck passed us and something fell off the back and bounced up and caught my left hand pretty good. Well we were riding along and decided to get off the freeway to make a quick stop at Costco. Got to the off ramp and started trying to downshift as we were coming up on a light. I couldn't find the shifter paddle with my finger. I finally got to a spot where I could look down and sure enough, what ever fell off of that truck snapped off my paddle shifter. There is just barely enough of the plastic left for me to shift but I have to put mt hand under the grip to catch what is left of the shifter to change gears. Guess I am going to have to go get that replaced. It is difficult to ride this way.
    Good luck with that. I asked about the possibility of buying just the plastic shifter and BRP will only sell the whole control unit at $300 plus dollars a pop. If you are able to convince them to sell the paddle alone, please let us all know.

Spyder Garage

Good luck with that. I have talked with authorized services reps and also BRP and was told by all that the plastic paddle is not available by itself. You have to buy the whole control assembly at just over $300. I would like to replace mine and can't. If you can convince BRP to sell the paddle alone, be sure to let the rest of us know.

Spyder Garage

Glad to hear you didn't break any fingers with that type of damage to the paddle shifter. Good luck with the repairs.
    2008 GS Phantom, 2012 RT Limited
    Cheryl Reinhart Ragsdale

...in the pink (Girls On Spyders) flamingobabe's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

WOW!!! that scary stuff....how is your hand? let us know how things work out

#IamARyder #RideASpyder #CanAmSpyder

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Paddle Shifter

First, really good to hear your both ok, nothing more scary than bouncing debris on the freeway, secondly, I can not even guess at what the outcome of your quest will be for the paddle, thirdly, would you consider giving up the name and location of the BBQ place. Yeh I know that's tacky, just addicted to good BBQ.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by El Dorado Bob View Post
    First, really good to hear your both ok, nothing more scary than bouncing debris on the freeway, secondly, I can not even guess at what the outcome of your quest will be for the paddle, thirdly, would you consider giving up the name and location of the BBQ place. Yeh I know that's tacky, just addicted to good BBQ.
    Ludy's, at The corner of Main St and Second St in Woodland, CA

Very Happy Spyder Guy

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by flamingobabe View Post
    WOW!!! that scary stuff....how is your hand? let us know how things work out
    We are both ok. Whatever it was hit Deb on the leg after hitting my hand and the shifter. Hope you and Mark are both well.

Very Happy Spyder Guy

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

This should be an insurance claim. Depending on your deductible.

Spyder Garage

Close call. Sorry about the wounded Spyder, but sure am glad you both are OK. I had a piece of road debris get thrown up and split my face shield once. Thta kinda stuff will sure make you a believer in protective equipment in a hurry!
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Glad your OK

Hey you two glad you are OK, Happy Anniv. the shifter can be replaced
    it's the fingers and hands that you can't replace.
    we will have tonmeet up again soon
    Dave
    __________________________________________________ _______________________

Quote Originally Posted by hawkiii View Post

Spyder Garage

Default Happy anniversary. .!!

Glad you are both alright and were able to celebrate. Sorry about the damage. Is there enough to add an extension to it....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default THIS MAY SOUND REDICULOUS ...BUT.....

At $ 300 + I would give some thought to having one made ....possibly out of aluminum. If you have a High School near you that has a metal shop or a Voc-Ed School you could approach the teacher and maybe request a student do a project for class credit......I did this a long time ago with excellent results.....Just throwin this out there.....Good Luck ..Mike ....................I have an SE also, when I get a chance I'll take mine apart and see what the shifter looks like.....let you know......Well I took mine apart and if you do also be careful because there is a small spring with a tiny "pawl" attached that will drop and shoot out when you pry off the bottom plate to get at the "guts".....If the part that broke off is the large plastic piece that you push with your thumb or index finger but still have the bottom piece that is sort of flat and attaches to the arm that goes inside the housing ...I think you could make/shape/form a similar piece from thin aluminum and attach it with some rivits and " JB weld" and save yourself $290 +....Just IMHO Mike......
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 02-12-2013 at 12:31 AM.

Spyder Garage

Should have followed the trash wagon and let him know what he did.That is one of my pet peeves,people not securing there stuff in a truck or trailer,had to dodge too many things.

Spyder Garage

Glad to hear no one was hurt. The fact that you have to buy $300 worth of stuff to get a part is pretty bad though. Had the same thing happen when the switch on my RT-S cruise control needed replacing. $250 +.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!!!!!!!! Hope you have many more.

Chris

Spyder Garage

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Frank G is right; give your insurance agent a call...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

If the 25th is the gold anniversary apparently that makes the 24th the road debris year??? It is easier to have a little humor knowing that nobody was injured. Congrats, and . Here's to many more myles with your co-pilot.
    Three in the garage, and I think I can fit at least one more in.....and then we will have to build another garage.
    The roads in NY are so bad that I am glad we bought a Ryker Rally

Just sayin'............

Spyder Garage

Default Paddle shifter for SE5 snapped off

There is a guy on eBay selling various spyder parts (possibly totaled his). Maybe he has the paddle shift and would offer it to you.... Just a thought.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That's an idea worth a peek... EBay always has something in there that can prove useful...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Either the cluster shown above, eBay or see if you can find a wrecked Spyder somewhere?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

How about a BRP warranty? I think it's a product or manufacturer deficiency.
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jerpinoy View Post
    How about a BRP warranty? I think it's a product or manufacturer deficiency.
    No way BRP will cover that.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards