Thread: 1st oil change.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default 1st oil change.

I had my oil change at the Can Am dealer. $133 oil,filter and o ring. Im thinking I might tackle this his myself next time. The dealer recommends 4600 mile intervals.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Not that hard..!!

You can do it yourself it'not that hard. They also have some oil out that give you longer intervals. You can get oil change kit with the o rings and crush washers recommended with oil change on e-bay and other places. Good luck..if you ryde like me your next change is coming up soon.
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Check out BajaRon (vendor on main page) for great deals on filter, crush rings, & o-ring sets, along with AmsOil...great stuff, Great guy!
    After you get some miles on, go back and get a set of his plugs & wires, too!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Do you have to go back to dealer for first oil change, if you dont will it effect your warranty?

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mzw88 View Post
    Do you have to go back to dealer for first oil change, if you dont will it effect your warranty?
    It's not just an oil change,
    It's an Brake-in inspection at 600mi. You can change the oil yourself if you want to, The rest you should have the dealer do. Read the maintenance schedule booklet.

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by boborgera View Post
    It's not just an oil change,
    It's an Brake-in inspection at 600mi. You can change the oil yourself if you want to, The rest you should have the dealer do. Read the maintenance schedule booklet.
    ...and your warranty could depend on doing all the required tasks. You should have signed an agreement to that effect when you signed your warranty registration.

Spyder Garage

Default Stick with the plan

You got an excellent price, I've read some double and triple that cost. My dealership not only did all the required checks but also addressed all the issues I had and corrected them. In addition they allowed me to watch and schooled me on various aspects of the process. If yours will do this its a great learning experience. Get to know what your riding on. A Spyder is a very complex piece of machinery hidden under a tricky array of body covers. To get down to the real machinery beneath can be very trying and not for the faint at heart. Sounds like you have a fair priced dealership, if you don't have the tools, patients and abilities allow them the pleasure. If you are equipped and have the need to do it yourself, remember you'll be working with and on cast aluminum. Too heavy a hand and improper equipment to tackle the job can end up costing mega bucks.