Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Trouble Shifting My RT SM5 Into Gear

Started my 2012 RT SM5 yesterday and had a lot of trouble shifting. I could not get it to go into reverse or neutral. I had shut the engine off to get it back into neutral but as soon as i start it up it wont shift. I tried this a few times with the same result, wont shift unless i turn the bike off. The check engine light came on after about 4 attempts. I pressed the mode, set and blinker buttons simultaneously to see if there were any codes but nothing comes up on the screen. Anyone else ever experience this issue?

Spyder Garage

How's your oil level?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Oil level is good...

Spyder Garage

I just reread this and see that it is a SM not a SE. I'll have to think about that one.

Spyder Garage

It's pretty much got to be in the clutch plates, sounds like they may be warped. The only way to know for sure is to tear it down.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Just tried to start it and it was a little sluggish starting. Can a low voltage from the battery cause this? I don't have a battery tender on it.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Im guessing from your post you do infact have a manual shift with clutch and maybe your clutch resivure is low on fluid not enough to disengage the clutches,check to see if you have a leak or you have clutch disegagement.
    Mike

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

I'm guessing that your slave cylinder has failed. This is a recurring problem that is being investigated. You will have to replace the slave piston & O-rings, and the slave bushing (cylinder) and O-rings. Cost of parts is about $80 if it is out of warranty. You will recognize the problem by discolored clutch fluid, due the the aluminum that is sluffed off the slave cylinder as it wears, and the deterioration of the O-rings. Be sure to thouroughly flush the clutch system when you do the work. If the clutch fluid is clear, the first place I would look is warped clutch plates, as Lamont said. There is a newly revised clutch pack available, with steel plates and 5 plates/discs. Be sure they order the one for the SM...the SE clutch kit is different. Time to see your dealer.
    Last edited by NancysToy; 02-08-2013 at 12:45 PM.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

How many miles you have? Let us know the repair entails. Sorry to hear this happen to you.
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Spyder Garage

Please keep us posted and let us know what you find out.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Ok, I charged the battery up and checked the oil level again, it was just below half way which is still within operating range. I topped off the oil. and started her up. Started much easier and no check engine, went into gear no problem. Cant take it for a test ride because of the Blizzard we are having, but maybe by Sunday. I left a message with the dealer to look at it to make sure. Still under warranty. Thanks for everyone's help. The Best people make the Best Forum. SPYDERLOVERS

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I forgot to mention, I also installed Ron's Sway Bar today. Can't wait to try that out. Thanks Again

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Man View Post
    Ok, I charged the battery up and checked the oil level again, it was just below half way which is still within operating range. I topped off the oil. and started her up. Started much easier and no check engine, went into gear no problem. Cant take it for a test ride because of the Blizzard we are having, but maybe by Sunday. I left a message with the dealer to look at it to make sure. Still under warranty. Thanks for everyone's help. The Best people make the Best Forum. SPYDERLOVERS
    Glad to hear that it was something simple and easily fixed.
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Man View Post
    Started my 2012 RT SM5 yesterday and had a lot of trouble shifting. I could not get it to go into reverse or neutral. I had shut the engine off to get it back into neutral but as soon as i start it up it wont shift. I tried this a few times with the same result, wont shift unless i turn the bike off. The check engine light came on after about 4 attempts. I pressed the mode, set and blinker buttons simultaneously to see if there were any codes but nothing comes up on the screen. Anyone else ever experience this issue?
    BRP now retroactively provides road side assistance for 2012 and newer Spyders. Call them if you have any more problems. They should pay to get it to your dealer.
    Last edited by Navy Warrant; 02-14-2013 at 12:23 PM.
    [/IMG]

2012 RT-S SE5, Pure Magnesium Metallic (traded in)
    2015 RT LTD SE6, Red Pearl, Ultra Comfort Seat
    MODS: shorty antenna, BajaRon sway bar, Air Hawk cushion, custom LED US flag, custom Sue Hopper painted SPECOPS hood logo, custom Combat Craft Crewman windshield engraving, cup holder, Doc Humphry's 2017 complete RT kit belt tensioner