Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Angry Spyder RT Steering

Help, i have a Spyder RT and the steering is really acting bad, the spyder can not make a complete turn and tends to pull to the opposite of the way i'm turning. My local shop says there no codes in the system and they can't figure out the problem.

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

A non-functional DPS will often not leave fault codes. A nuimber of owners have learned their Spyders had no power steering, although no fault codes were ever thrown. It sounds like a bad DPS, low/bad battery (or bad connection), or a wiring problem, although it could be a sensor issue. What year RT? The 2010s were subject to a steering recall and DPS replacement. If yours is a 2010, make sure that was done. Beyond that, have your dealer contact BRP dealer tech support for assistance troubleshooting and correcting the problem.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Thank you so much

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    A non-functional DPS will often not leave fault codes. A nuimber of owners have learned their Spyders had no power steering, although no fault codes were ever thrown. It sounds like a bad DPS, low/bad battery (or bad connection), or a wiring problem, although it could be a sensor issue. What year RT? The 2010s were subject to a steering recall and DPS replacement. If yours is a 2010, make sure that was done. Beyond that, have your dealer contact BRP dealer tech support for assistance troubleshooting and correcting the problem.
    Thank you so much, i will relay this to my tech and hopefully this will work, because that is one thing i did notice is that it was getting harder to start like the battery was dying. its a 2011 Spyder RT
    Last edited by spence; 12-02-2012 at 01:45 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Is that the same problem you had during the 7 bridges ride?

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spence View Post
    Thank you so much, i will relay this to my tech and hopefully this will work, because that is one thing i did notice is that it was getting harder to start like the battery was dying. its a 2011 Spyder RT
    The DPS is the largest single use of electrical power on the Spyder other than the starter. The battery should be tested and load tested. Your battery connections should also be checked for cleanliness and tightness, and both the front and rear frame grounds checked for tightness. The battery should also be checked for the ability to take and hold a charge, and it should be load tested. A bad DPS, that pulls too much amperage, can appear like a battery problem, so problems with the electrical system should be eliminated first, then the DPS evaluated.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Yep, same crap

Quote Originally Posted by captblack View Post
    Is that the same problem you had during the 7 bridges ride?

Spyder Garage

Keep us posted and let us know what happens. I have a new 2011 RT in the stable with 5K miles--so far so good--

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Well, there are some things that are just just fine because you don't know any better. That's the way I've been with my steering until reading this post. Steering my new RT requires a lot of push and pull on the handlebars. As a matter of fact, my biceps are aching as I write this response after my wife and I went out on the RT this afternoon.

Just how is the steering supposed to feel? Someone please try to describe the steering as the way it's supposed to be. ...Gnirtsnod

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gnirtsnod View Post
    Well, there are some things that are just just fine because you don't know any better. That's the way I've been with my steering until reading this post. Steering my new RT requires a lot of push and pull on the handlebars. As a matter of fact, my biceps are aching as I write this response after my wife and I went out on the RT this afternoon.

Just how is the steering supposed to feel? Someone please try to describe the steering as the way it's supposed to be. ...Gnirtsnod
    Best thing you can do is ride a dealer demo or a friend's Spyder and compare. Oh...check your front tire pressures. Too low (or even the BRP spec) can make the Spyder harder to steer. This isn't an effortless steering system, though, yours may be normal. Be aware that power input drops off as speed increases. At highway speeds there is no power assist. That's why it is called dynamic power steering...it changes under different conditions.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good to know all this stuff

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Spyder Steering

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Keep us posted and let us know what happens. I have a new 2011 RT in the stable with 5K miles--so far so good--

Will do, let you all know on Tuesday

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Since the DPS is such a voltage vampire; do you think that a weak or dying battery might make itself known with steering issues before anything else?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Spyder RT Steering

Well replacing the Battery definitely solved the problem with the Steering issue, Big Shout out to Nancystoy and all the peeps, who gave me advise on my problem

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yep, I saw it at the dealer yesterday and Travis said the battery fixed the problem. I'm glad it was simple ... I'm hoping they get mine fixed this afternoon (gear position sensor).

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Post Define DPS Steering

As a Can Am new rider, less then 3,000 miles of seat time, I think I would do it this way. Sitting still it takes a lot of arm pressure to turn the wheels from lock to lock. Under way to make a u turn it would not take a quarter of the effort expended while sitting still. At highway speeds it takes it takes so little effort that you have to retrain yourself to relax and not death grip the bars.

I find myself tight gripping the bars from time to time and my first indicator at highway speeds is it wanting to weave around or darting around. I have to tell myself to be cool and it straightens right up and flies straight and true.

you could equate the effort to your car as sitting still to trying to turn the steering wheel to a non non engine on event and the rest to driving in congested traffic up driving at seventy MPH or greater in a drive by wire ps equipped car of today in comparison to one with hydraulic operated system..

I tried various tire pressure settings and find eighteen psig to be the best for my RTL and my driving style.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default It's a real education here..!!

Quote Originally Posted by jerpinoy View Post
    Good to know all this stuff
    always room to learn..
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

As Scotty mentioned low or uneven tire pressure could be the culprit, ask me how I know.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Boriken View Post
    As Scotty mentioned low or uneven tire pressure could be the culprit, ask me how I know.
    How do you know???

Or was that one of them Rhetorical questions???
    Last edited by Cruzr Joe; 02-15-2013 at 02:05 PM.
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer