Thread: Headsets

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Headsets

I have a 2012 RT Limited and would like to know what headsets everyone is recommending for the intercom and CB? Would appreciate any knowledge or experience you have had with headsets.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NJERNIE View Post
    I have a 2012 RT Limited and would like to know what headsets everyone is recommending for the intercom and CB? Would appreciate any knowledge or experience you have had with headsets.
    Until I bought my 2012 RT-S, I was an intercom/cb guy. With the Spyder, I bought the Sena SMH 10 bluetooth headset and I love it. Intercom is crisp and clear, the phone connection is flawless, GPS comes through nicely, and my music is all piped through without any wires. I have not tried any bike-to-bike communication but expect the same performance. All for $250 for the pair. The only challenge is getting the other members of my riding crew to switch.

Spyder Garage

Default Guess...!!

I hear the sena's are the best but I have the Scala and find them just as good. Problem being that as soon as you get one (any brand) they come out with a bigger better model..
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I have the J&M wired headset ( no batteries to charge ) same headset in the last 3 helmets.

Spyder Garage

Default SCALA

the SCALA G9 is the ONLY 'upgradeable' head-set on the market... i've had mine for about 10 months, and 2 upgrades have come out since... can't go wrong with the SCALA G9... the older G4's are NOT upgradeable, so don't let somebody try to sell you one unless you know in advance that they aren't... mine ties into my GALAXY III phone perfectly, i listen to all my music while cruising, and the phone service is absolutely clear... i've conducted business while riding, and the people at the other end never knew i was on my SPYD3R....
    017.jpg

Spyder Garage

We have BRP headsets in our four helmets. No problems here.
    2014 Timeless Black RTS/SE - BRP CB/Comm System; BRP Zumo 660 GPS System; BRP Cellphone Interface; BRP ST-1 Helmets w/BRP Headsets; BRP XM Radio; BRP Tri-Axis Handlebars; BRP Adj Wind Deflectors; BRP Adj Vent Windshield; BRP Comfort Seat & Utopia Backrest; Corbin Armrests; HMT Brake Light; TricLED 3/4 Brake & Running Lights; TricLED Fender Lights & Rr Cargo Lights; CD Fender TIPS Kit; Bump Skid; Scorpio i900 Alarm; Touratech GPS Locking Mount; NBV Highway Mounts; BBP Brake Pedal, Stebel horn.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPYD3R View Post
    the SCALA G9 is the ONLY 'upgradeable' head-set on the market... i've had mine for about 10 months, and 2 upgrades have come out since... can't go wrong with the SCALA G9... the older G4's are NOT upgradeable, so don't let somebody try to sell you one unless you know in advance that they aren't... mine ties into my GALAXY III phone perfectly, i listen to all my music while cruising, and the phone service is absolutely clear... i've conducted business while riding, and the people at the other end never knew i was on my SPYD3R....
    017.jpg
    I have a G4 and since I bought it 2 years ago, I have received 2 new versions of the software. I understand Garmin will not be updating it any more,but to say it's not upgradeable is not correct. As I understand it Sena also updates their software for their SMH10 as well. SO, I guess I don't understand when you say the G9 it the ONLY upgradeable headset.
    Love my

Statistics show that most motorcycle accidents are caused by a defective nut holding the handlbars.

Spyder Garage

Default Headsets

Originally we had the BRP headsets and then we switched to the J & M Elite. Big difference between these headset brands. With the J & M have the volume control set at half of what it use to be with the BRP and get the same loudness.
    Reese
    2010 RT-S SE5 Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPYD3R View Post
    017.jpg
    I don't understand this either. I have the Sena SPH10H for half helmets and they are software upgradeable. So is the SM10 dual stream transmitter. I have them both and love them.

Current: 2018 F3 Limited
    Previous: 2011 RT with 622 Trailer

Mods:
    F4 Customs 25" Windshield
    F4 Customs Air Wings
    Spyderpops Top Case/Seat Extender
    TackForm Phone Mount
    Lamonster Ram Ball Handlebar Mount
    Show Chrome Passenger Armrests

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

My wife and I use the Scala Teamset pro. (under 200 for pair) It works but that is about it. Quality is just ok. It would be nice to charge them on the bike (w/o using an inverter) instead of looking for an AC outlet when out camping. A friend recently let me ride his 2012 Tenere which has the J&M (elite model headset I think) and the JMCB-2003 audio system and it was incredible compared to our Scala. Sound from his radio was fantastic in the headset. Then again, the J&M was expensive compare to the 200.00 Scala. I priced the full J&M Audio for our Spyder RS and it looks like around 700-800 for two headsets and the audio system.

Ride Forrest Ride!
    Spyder Garage

If anyone is interested in UCLEAR helmet, blue tooth headset, well, Don't be. I have tried one and it is not as it cracked up to be.. due to the mike built into the speaker, it makes the speaker quite large and the mike is muffled, hear fine, talk bad.

The Sena is the one to go for, in my opinion.
    Last edited by effgjamis; 02-07-2013 at 01:46 AM.

Very Active Member eddieshep999's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by lyonsden View Post
    I don't understand this either. I have the Sena SPH10H for half helmets and they are software upgradeable. So is the SM10 dual stream transmitter. I have them both and love them.
    I agree with all the positive comments ref Sena's system

I have Sena SMH10 Headsets and the SM10 Dual stream transmitter can't fault them - On my 3rd Software update
    on the Sena SM10 new software just released - Just plug into laptop and download

I used the Bike to Bike function on a trip to Germany in 2011 with a friend and its like talking on a phone its that clear - You do need to have both Sena Headsets (each rider that is) for this function but I understand Sena is trying to get an agreement with other manufactures to enable all systems to work with each other which is the only drawback all have at present

BRP's new Bluetooth system is based on Sena's they are just badged with Can-Am on the side
    Eddie Sheppard
    Poole Dorset UK

Get a Spyder - See the World

Spyder Garage

Default Headsets

We bought BRP's when we purchased our 2011 Spyder. We needed new helmets so we looked into J&M. We now have full face helmets with installed headset from J&M. They work great. Total price with helmets was around $750, delivered. Not a bad price.
    2014 RTS SE6 , Cognac

Spyder Garage

We have the Scala system. The first hard rain storm. one of the mics quit. Scala refused to replace it because of rain. It's a motorcycle helmet system, hello.

Spyder Garage

I am watching with interest here. This will be the season that I replace my Scala 2's. I am thinking about either Scala 9's or the Sena SMH 10's. Price checking--the Sena's seem to be about $100 or so less, and the Sena users seem to outnumber the Scala on SL. (Based on the number or praises heard for either brand).

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I was thinking about getting headsets, but I have some issues. I have looked through a dozen or so of the old threads and have not seen much on headset use with full face helmets. Is there a different type of mic? How is the sound quality? I also looked and did not see if there was any difference in the us on an RS versus and RT. Is there anybody out there willing to educate a newbie?
    Three in the garage, and I think I can fit at least one more in.....and then we will have to build another garage.
    The roads in NY are so bad that I am glad we bought a Ryker Rally

Just sayin'............

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Can't beat the Sena's...Cindi & I have used them for 2 years now without a glitch...very easy pairing...

Spyder Garage

Otter: RE Mics.

The Scala 2's are attached to one Nolan 103 full face helmet and one Nolan N-43? modular helmet. The mic goes up under the chin part (very carefully) on the 103 and inside of the face plate on the 43.

That being said, if the mic is in the wind you do get some noise and you have to say a word or make a noise "loud" in order to activate the talk sequence. The more "inside" the helmet, the less with that problem.

I cannot address other brands--other than I have returned N-Com, Scala 4, and one other brand I cannot remember, due to unsatisfactory operation.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I have the J&M top of the line built in by them into a Scopian convetable helmut. Much better noise rejection than the BRP model I have in my spare helmut now.

Spyder Garage

Default g9

Quote Originally Posted by Trickie Dick View Post
    I have a G4 and since I bought it 2 years ago, I have received 2 new versions of the software. I understand Garmin will not be updating it any more,but to say it's not upgradeable is not correct. As I understand it Sena also updates their software for their SMH10 as well. SO, I guess I don't understand when you say the G9 it the ONLY upgradeable headset.
    when i bought mine, i was told that the G9 was the ONLY head-set that was upgradable, and the G4 was not... somebody is play'n with my head here....
    sorry if i gave out bad info....