Thread: Sheepskin?

Spyder Garage

Default Sheepskin?

I see there's going to be a Sheepskin vendor at SpyderFest. What's the general opinons of sheepskin? What are the advantages/disadvantages? As always, I value the knowledge that comes from this forum.

Thanks, John

Spyder Garage

I love the sheepskins. I have ridden with them for years and years. Good comfort, warm in cool weather, and surprisingly cool in warm weather. The biggest problem I have found is that they get wet in the rain...especially when you get off and park. Tossing it in the trunk helps...or carry a large trash bag to cover it.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Did you ever smell a wet sheep?? But they sure are comfy; just be prepared to stow them when the weather gets cranky!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Are you filling the frunk with fresh pelts for sale???

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Cogitation and rumination...

Spyder Garage

We always ride with sheep skins. It makes the ride much more enjoyable. Last year at the Victory Rally in Sprit Lake, Iowa, I had a set custom fit for my bike. The guy did a great job for a reasonable price.

Spyder Garage

with Scotty............warm in winter, cool in summer and added comfort for the butt! We also carry a large trash bag to cover it when we travel and don't know what the weather is going to be. We wouldn't be without one.

Spyder: 2011 RT Limited w/ RT-622 trailer
    Mods: ESI Brightsides, RT Rear Brightsides, HMT Brake Light, Scuff Guards, Utopia Backrest, Chrome, and more Chrome, Pearl White Rear View Mirrors, Rear Fender, and Dashboard, Black Rear Wheel and Belt Assy, SpyderPops Heat Shields & Bump Skid, Elka Stage 1+ Shocks, 2012 SF Graphics, Silver Carbonfiber Dash, Corbin Arm Rests, Baker A.W., BRP Vented WindShield. BR's Sway Bar, Tricled White Halo Lights, BadBoy Air Horn, Spyder Legs Floor Boards

Spyder Garage

We ride with sheepskin covers on both of our Spyders.

Beware of the dyed ones however, because if you get caught in a downpour you can turn the color of the sheepskin very quickly.

We finally went to a tack store (supplies for horses) and bought two natural sheepskin saddle covers. They fit around the Spyder seat perfectly and are warm in the cold and cool in the warmth.
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Very Active Member sealfloorboards's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

i rode on an Alaska Leather Sheep Skin for several years and was very happy with it. Today I use an Airhawk Med. Cruiser for my RT and for me it works great. Both let me.........

Ride in comfort,
    John
    Seal Floorboards

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    I love the sheepskins. I have ridden with them for years and years. Good comfort, warm in cool weather, and surprisingly cool in warm weather. The biggest problem I have found is that they get wet in the rain...especially when you get off and park. Tossing it in the trunk helps...or carry a large trash bag to cover it.
    We also have our Airhawks for that change of pace, butt-wise.

Patrick
    2011 RTS 2006 Yamaha Morphous
    2017 F150 2015 MINI Cooper S IBA 56167
    2011 RTS , Orbital Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have a synthetic one I bought at IKEA. fits and works fine. some place around $25 if I remember.

thehawk
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice ... in practice, however, that's just a theory.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Cogitation and rumination...
    and constipation

thehawk
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice ... in practice, however, that's just a theory.

Spyder Garage

I love the sheepskin when its dry and not too hot outside.. In the hot and rainy season I switch out with my beadrider to get air circulation under me and no problem if i leave it on in the rain...
    220,000 Mile Spyder Ryder, IBA Premier member #59352, Saddlesore 1000 (11), Bun Burner 1500 (3), Saddlesore 2000 (2), Bun Burner Gold, MILEEATER SILVER

Spyder Garage

As a former leather vendor, I agree with the above. Sheepskin is a great insulator against both hot and cold. Don't get them wet though. The pad will raise your riding position slightly on the seat.

I used to sell custom sheepskin seat covers, whatever color you wanted and made to fit your seat exactly. That program is long gone at this time.

Currently, I have an Alaska Leather sheepskin/gel pad for both ,s that we carry along for those days when a little extra is needed for a comfy ryde. I also use an airhawk pad and use sometimes in combination with the sheepskin on some days.

These types of pads can be purchased at many places that sell motorcycle accessories. I of course recommend Alaska Leather.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Pinkyjo and I love our sheepskins. She has been riding with one for several years. I got one when I added the locking gas door on the seat. Chrome gets hot against the leg. Do like the comfort on long rides. Have a half cover I put on the bike if its going to get wet.
    Ray
    "Instead of arriving in Heaven in a nice well perserved body I'd rather slide in feet first, all beat up, loudly proclaiming thank you Jesus for a great ride!"

Spyder Garage

Default I found them uncomfortable

Not sure what all the fuss is about, a while back a friend and myself bought sheepskins each but found that they just got in the way.

Harry
    "Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus"
    My Rides;
    Nimbus 2000, Ford Anglia, 2012 Spyder RT Limited, Pre 14 Vintage Classic Collectors Edition!

Favorite Ride;
    Nimbus 2000 boy this thing can fly.

Mods:
    Charm of invisibility, Reparo Charm (cuts down on service cost)

One always wonders about roads not taken.

Spyder Garage

Default Sheepskin

I would like to 2nd the recommendation for Alaska Leather Sheepskin.
    I have been using their products for many years and they really help on those long rides.
    KYSPYDER

Spyder Garage

I have heard that sheep swear by them, they wont go out without them on.
    2015 Intense Red Pearl RTS SE6 - Laser Alignment by Precisyon Trac, Tri-Axis handle bars, ? to be determined.

2014 XLR Viper 305V14 Toyhauler (Home)
    2015 Ram 3500HD Crew Cab

Former Spyders
    2010 Blue RT A&C SE5 53K plus miles - never left us stranded!
    2013 Pure Magnesium Metallic ST SE5 11K plus miles - never left us stranded!

Spyder Garage
    2014 Timeless Black RTS/SE - BRP CB/Comm System; BRP Zumo 660 GPS System; BRP Cellphone Interface; BRP ST-1 Helmets w/BRP Headsets; BRP XM Radio; BRP Tri-Axis Handlebars; BRP Adj Wind Deflectors; BRP Adj Vent Windshield; BRP Comfort Seat & Utopia Backrest; Corbin Armrests; HMT Brake Light; TricLED 3/4 Brake & Running Lights; TricLED Fender Lights & Rr Cargo Lights; CD Fender TIPS Kit; Bump Skid; Scorpio i900 Alarm; Touratech GPS Locking Mount; NBV Highway Mounts; BBP Brake Pedal, Stebel horn.

Spyder Garage

Default Misty Mountain

Got sheepskin covers for both Queen B's Spyder and my V-Star from Misty Mountain. Love them. Both of ours are dyed, mine black tipped silver, hers pure black: no problem with bleeding out to clothing.

Great vendor, works with you to get just the right fit. Guarantees his product. Been a local business for years.
    Spyder Mods: 23"ultra touring windshield, SpyderAttitude Exhaust, BRP fog Lights, Can Am Wind Deflectors, Kuryakyn ISO Grips, Pyle Amplifier w/wired remote, 4x6 Pioneer Speakers, Amber GlorRyders, Spyderpops Missing Air Dam, Joe Florida Amber Accent lighting, Misty Mountain Sheepskin Seat cushion, Custom Dynamics 4" Risers, Street Magic Highway Footrest Brackets,Spyder Footrests, Spyder Driver Footpegs, Spyder Brake Cover, Spyder Shifter Cover, Can Am Hard Bags