Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Question Any reviews/opinions on Ultimate Seats w/ backrest for RT

My wife is having back aches in middle of back after about 45 minutes on the road and I start to feel the same after more than an hour. I am trying to get some ideas of what users think of the Ultimate seats with backrests. She is concerned about the long ride to Spyderfest from San Antonio, Tx. I have looked at Corbin seats but know very little about the Ultimate.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The Ultimate fuel door is metal and I would think it would burn your leg on hot temps. A friend just got one and she commented that she could feel it at 65 degrees.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default Seat

I have a Corbin heated seat with backrest. On long trips we us Airhawks that help the butt and back. But we do stop every hour for a break.
    4" Stubby antenna, Dual arm LEDs Fender LEDs, Back Rest, Luggage Rack, Run, Brake and Strobe for top case, Mirror LEDs,Back Off decal on mud flap, reciptal for Battery Tender and Heated Gear, mirror LEDs that stay on or work with blinkers, GPS, side bag red LEDs, Top cuff with Ram Ball phone holder And USB power, Top cuff with drink holder and passenger cup holder. Also grilles in front of radiators, also spyclops. Garmin 595 GPS, Freedom windshield. Also glove box console And trunk wrap in carbon fiber from wrap my spyder. BRP comfort seat. added garage opener with rocker switch in center console to match other switches. And I have added Elka stage 2 shocks.
    15 rt , yes Black

Spyder Garage

I am in San Antonio and am also considering the ride to Spyderfest. I just purchased the backrest from Utopia. It is due in this week, and I will install it soon after. If you want to get together for a ride after my install I would be happy to let you try the seat to see if it will solve your back issues. If you and I decide to make this trek, perhaps we could ride together. I have also just installed the Seal floorboards which so far I just love.. They allow me to move my legs around with the fronts you almost have cruise pegs..

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RTspyderssatx View Post
    My wife is having back aches in middle of back after about 45 minutes on the road and I start to feel the same after more than an hour. I am trying to get some ideas of what users think of the Ultimate seats with backrests. She is concerned about the long ride to Spyderfest from San Antonio, Tx. I have looked at Corbin seats but know very little about the Ultimate.

You might want to PM, BikerDoc, and get his opinion. (which I would bet money is good) on the Ultimate seat setup.

Chris

Spyder Garage

I love mine! I have the tall boy with the driver backrest. I do not have the fuel door...
    Bill
    Pride Runs Deep Semper Tacitus

An armed man is a Citizen; an unarmed man is a subject....

2017 F3 T SE6
    2015 Vulcan Vaquero ABS
    ALR Chapter 401 (Hilliard FL)
    GA & FL Patriot Guard

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Just purchased my ultimate tall boy seat today. Will arrive in a couple days. Ultimate is having a 20% off sale till Jan. 31. Great time to buy.

Larry.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Another great seat option is the Russell Day Long Seat. The company builds a seat specifically for you according to your weight, height, your passengers weight and height, riding style etc. they even ask for a side view photograph of you and your passenger on your bike to see how you sit. It is truly a custom seat. They make then in all materials from vinyl to custom select leathers. Prices are similar to other companies. Right now I have a stock seat on my RT and it suits me about 90%. When it gets worn or I get more issues with it the Russell seat is the way I am going.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

We have a Russell Cycle "Day Long" seat with driver removable backrest. It is fantastic. Had a Corbin but wasn't satisfied. The Russell doesn't have a fuel door, but I can live without it. The fuel door on the Corbin made it difficult to see the fuel level and gas was sometimes spilled on the seat.

Spyder Garage

We've got the Ultimate seat with driver and passenger backrests on our RS and just LOVE them. Still have the original seat on our Limited RT but I'm looking at getting the Utopia backrest, which HalBikerDoc has, I believe.
    2008 GS Phantom, 2012 RT Limited
    Cheryl Reinhart Ragsdale

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We have the Ultimate seat with rider backrest, and love it. The backrest makes my riding much easier on my back, and as for the passenger, the first thing my wife noticed was that she didn't feel like she was sliding / tilting into me. The pillion seat is either level, or has a slight lean toward the backrest, where the factory RT seat felt like it was leaning toward the driver.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I ordered an ultimate seat right after the holidays and got it installed on the weekend. Yesterday, we had temps in the 70s (Kansas; go figure) so I rode about 5o miles to try it out and really could tell a difference. I told a friend about it and she said wait til you do a 300 mile day, then you'll absolutely love it.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    The Ultimate fuel door is metal and I would think it would burn your leg on hot temps. A friend just got one and she commented that she could feel it at 65 degrees.
    They also offer one without the fuel door. That's what we got. I just thought the chrome fuel door didn't fit the styling of the RT.
    We did get a chance to sit on a Corbin, and I thought it was too hard. I do, however, like the Corbin fuel door, as it blends right into the seat.

Spyder Garage

I have the Ultimate seat, rider and passenger backrests. I also have the fuel door and have no issues with heat due to it being metal. I absolutely love the Ultimate seat and would recommend it to anyone. I have severe back issues, fusions and arthritis and I have no issues on my Ultimate. I have one on my current RT and had one on my RS prior to this one. IMO The Best!!

SpyderLady

Spyder Garage

Cool Thanks for the reviews and opinions on custom seats

Thanks everyone who responded about the Ultimate seats and driver backrests. Since we have two RT’s every mod is a substantial investment! The 20% discount is attractive and they also allow for a 14 day trial period, so at worst I would only be out for two shipping charges. Probably money well spent when we plan to take many trips around the country in the future.

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by RTspyderssatx View Post
    My wife and myself LOVE ours. Definitely one of the best MODS I made. I have the Tall Boy/fuel door. It gives a better riding position and never had a heat problem with the door.

Spyder Garage

Default Back trouble and Ultimate seat and backrest

Just had surgery for herniated disk in lower back. Started riding again on short trips to get into condition for 1500 mile ride to Spyderfest. Backrest on Ultimate seat is a lifesaver generally. After awhile it does irritate my surgery site. So, am using a inflatable pillow between my back and backrest for more comfort. My daughter in law made a great pillow case with strings to tie the pillow to the backrest.

Spyder Garage

I'm trying to not have the surgery where they screw the L5 and L6 together. Has anyone tried riding with a back brace? As spring approaches I'm considering ordering the RT Limited in Pearl White but if my back is going to keep me off trips of more than an hour it just doesn't make a lot of sense for me. Also arthritis in my neck so I'll be looking for a light weight helmet. Any suggestions ???

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiter View Post
    I'm trying to not have the surgery where they screw the L5 and L6 together. Has anyone tried riding with a back brace? As spring approaches I'm considering ordering the RT Limited in Pearl White but if my back is going to keep me off trips of more than an hour it just doesn't make a lot of sense for me. Also arthritis in my neck so I'll be looking for a light weight helmet. Any suggestions ???
    think carbon fiber for a light-weight helmet. But they're really expensive.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default ultimate tall boy with fuel door and diamond arm rest

I keep asking myself why in the world do I live in New York , I got my new seat weeks ago and find it tough riding in 10 degree weather so I go to the garage and sit on my bike hoping for a break in the weather. Feb. can come and go none to fast for me.

Spyder Garage

I bought my Ultimate seat at Spyderfest last year and have been very happy with it. I live in Chicago area and went to SITA, Did 2400 miles in 7 days on that seat one month after install, My longest dau has been 700 miles and it was very comfortable.

As for the fuel door - - - I love it. I went with the flat black instead of the chrome and have not hsd any problems with it getting to hot.
    Illinois Patriot Guard

Founding member of Woodstock Spyder Ryders

2014 RTS SE6 - White
    2010 RT/AC SE5 retired with 26,536 miles

Spyder Garage

I would also recommend the Ultimate seat and back rest. I have both the rider and passenger back rest. We had 1 issue going 650 miles the day after we installed it. My wife said it took almost 500 miles to break it in.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Picked up my Ultimate seat a couple of days ago. Had custom color inserts and spyder logos put on the seat and what a great job they did. Rode home 300 mile that day and have put on another 200 since and am more then satisfied with the seat. Would definately recommend!!

Spyder Garage

Default Ultimate seats

Where does one find the Ultimate seat with back rest?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Gruff View Post
    Where does one find the Ultimate seat with back rest?
    This should get you started....

http://www.ultimateseats.ca/CanAmSpyderRT.html