Thread: CB

Spyder Garage

Default CB

Since getting my 2010 RT-S the CB has never worked properly. I can sometimes hear others (I know because I hear portions of conservations.) and they can sometimes hear me (I know because I do not always get responses when responses are needed.) My dealership since the beginning says "we worked on it but we don't have another one to test it." I have told them that I purchased it, they installed it, and they need to make it right whether that means finding another CB to test mine out, borrowing one, or buying one. I don't know if they will resolve my issue. Any advice? This has gone on too long. And I don't know yet if I will be charged labor costs associated with this issue, but I shouldn't, right?
    La1SheSpyder

Spyder Garage

Default Really?

Quote Originally Posted by Rattigan_Roger View Post
    Did you get the updated cluster?
    You would know this because your mileage would be set to zero.
    I thought that turning back the mileage on any vehicle was illegal (or perhaps unlawful as ill eagle is a sick bird) in most if not all states. At my last service on my 2011 RT-S, they did a software update to the cluster, but it did not affect the mileage showing on the screen.
    2011 RT-S , Silver

Spyder Garage

CB performance that you have is the best its going to get.

In California, the owner is suppose to report a odometer replacemen/actual mileage with DMV when it changes ownership.
    Last edited by stevedfive; 01-26-2013 at 01:39 PM.
    2014 Timeless Black RTS/SE - BRP CB/Comm System; BRP Zumo 660 GPS System; BRP Cellphone Interface; BRP ST-1 Helmets w/BRP Headsets; BRP XM Radio; BRP Tri-Axis Handlebars; BRP Adj Wind Deflectors; BRP Adj Vent Windshield; BRP Comfort Seat & Utopia Backrest; Corbin Armrests; HMT Brake Light; TricLED 3/4 Brake & Running Lights; TricLED Fender Lights & Rr Cargo Lights; CD Fender TIPS Kit; Bump Skid; Scorpio i900 Alarm; Touratech GPS Locking Mount; NBV Highway Mounts; BBP Brake Pedal, Stebel horn.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

There's a ton of handheld CBs on EBay for less than $50. The shop's excuse is lame, but I wonder of they would to do if they had one.

Spyder Garage

Default MIDLAND HAND-HELD

i just picked up this MIDLAND:
    http://www.provantage.com/midland-ra...2~4MDLD007.htm
    AWESOME little radio...
    also got the COBRA extension antenna:
    http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.a...2&&cagpspn=pla

the combo works gr8....
    006.jpg

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPYD3R View Post
    i just picked up this MIDLAND:
    http://www.provantage.com/midland-ra...2~4MDLD007.htm
    AWESOME little radio...
    also got the COBRA extension antenna:
    http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.a...2&&cagpspn=pla

the combo works gr8....
    006.jpg

Spyder Garage

We have two 2011 bikes one is RT and the other is a RTS and we have had numerous problems with the CB. It could be a grounding problem which can be resolved by grounding to the metal frame, it can also be a problem with the head sets ours needed to be replaced. Recently the cord from the bike to the head set has been redesigned. The bike also needs a TX when transmitting to show and when receiving it should show RX. I strongly suggest you speak to Damian at BRP as he has quite educated with our problem. I hope this helps.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My HAM radio does not work either
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Spyder Garage

Seems like there was an antenna grounding issue. Have your dealer check with BRP.
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332
    '01 Black GL1800A Goldwing #0930

"Remember in the darkness what you have learned in the light." - Joe Bayly

Spyder Garage

Default How important is the CB to you

Quote Originally Posted by wcc002 View Post
    Since getting my 2010 RT-S the CB has never worked properly. I can sometimes hear others (I know because I hear portions of conservations.) and they can sometimes hear me (I know because I do not always get responses when responses are needed.) My dealership since the beginning says "we worked on it but we don't have another one to test it." I have told them that I purchased it, they installed it, and they need to make it right whether that means finding another CB to test mine out, borrowing one, or buying one. I don't know if they will resolve my issue. Any advice? This has gone on too long. And I don't know yet if I will be charged labor costs associated with this issue, but I shouldn't, right?
    I drove 18 wheels for 15 years and used the CB in my Job daily. If You are looking for peak performance You need to see a CB shop. CB's have to be peaked and tuned and also have the correct antenna. Your spyder dealer does not have the equipment to do this or the technical knowhow. Also you will find that most CB radios have a range of less than 5 miles on flat unobstructed conditions. You may at times hear someone several hundred miles away due to skip, but they will most likely not hear you.

Spyder Garage

SPRD3R how do you use that radio on your Spyder? How does the set up work?

Spyder Garage

Default EMERGENCY

Quote Originally Posted by Cavman View Post
    SPRD3R how do you use that radio on your Spyder? How does the set up work?
    CAVMAN.... my CB is basically for 'emergency' purposes... i keep it in the frunk... it's small in size, so it doesn't take up much room... while ryding, i'm utilizing my SCALA G9 which is BLUE TOOTHed to my phone... which provides me with music, weather, GPS directions and phone... while ryding out in the wide open western states this coming spring, where there may not be cell phone towers, if i get into a situation, i'll have the CB...
    PS; i also bought the 'mag base antenna' to mount on my car/truck during vacations etc...
    SAM_0321.jpg

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

When I bought Big Red 1 in March, 2011, I had the dealer install the BRP CB along with the XM radio and GPS. I ride with a group of 6-12 riders every Satlurday and generally I am the "sweep" rider with the lead the same person most of the time on his HD with factory CB installed. He would tell me my transmissions were weak, however I could hear him when he could not hear me.

I asked the dealer to check the SWR (standing wave ratio) on the antenna. They had a SWR meter and checked it out and we trimed the antenna slightly...(a little goes a long way) and my transmissions improved somewhat. I rode last Saturday (the 19th) and my HD buddy said he was hearing all of my transmissions. I have NO idea why, but it seems my CB transmissions are more clear than a year ago when I started fooling around with the antenna.

Yesterday, I rode my Motor Trike and my HD friend said my GW CB transmissions and distance are 2X to 3X better than BR1. He has said this on earlier rides. My GW CB was made by Clarion and BR1 is made by a company in Tenn. or KY.

One of the problems with motorcycles, GW, Spyders, etc is the small or no ground plane. Little metal compared to an 18 wheeler or auto. The BRP CB is poor at best, but you should be able to transmit and receive 1/4 mile or so.

When you hear "spotty" transmissions on your CB, you are hearing folks running illegal amplifiers on their home CB units and you hear "skip"....CB's operate on 11 meters, one of the poorest frequencies for any distance...(this is why the government put CB's on this frequency, so we could have short transmissions and not bother the world).

With my ham radio, (My call is WB5WFW) I can talk 1,000 miles on "low power" of 5 watts. (a CB is 4 watts into the final driver) With my usual 100 watts, I can talk to the world, but I have the proper antennas, etc.

I don't have many answers to CB problems as I was taught how to operate radios, now why they operate when I was in the USAF radio school in 1952. (if you have a problem, call maintenance...)

As a side comment, I did not like BR1 for a year, then he quit on me. He got a new throttle body and ECM and he seems to run better. The last three months have really been great with BR1 and I am starting to like him as well as or BETTER than my Wing (Punkin').

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA
    If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wcc002 View Post
    I had the same problem with our 2011. It took me three times back to the dealer( 150 miles round trip) to get it fixed. Finaly they figured out it was the harness. It had a short in the system somewhere. Then after they fixed that, I went to another dealer, which I am stil going to, and they told me the radio was not matched to the atenna. Thye were able to FINALLY fix it. Hope this helps.
    2014 RTS SE6 , Cognac

Spyder Garage

J & M make an antenna that is specifically matched to the Can-Am CB radio. It should increase the quality and distance of both TX and RX. It replaces the BRP version which, apparently, is not matched.

http://www.jmcorp.com/ProductDetail....ctID=CSCBA-300

ken tompkins

Quote Originally Posted by viperryder View Post
    I had the same problem with our 2011. It took me three times back to the dealer( 150 miles round trip) to get it fixed. Finaly they figured out it was the harness. It had a short in the system somewhere. Then after they fixed that, I went to another dealer, which I am stil going to, and they told me the radio was not matched to the atenna. Thye were able to FINALLY fix it. Hope this helps.

Spyder Garage

I installed the J&M and it fixed the problem, I have good range now, both sending and recieving.

Quote Originally Posted by kentompkins View Post
    J & M make an antenna that is specifically matched to the Can-Am CB radio. It should increase the quality and distance of both TX and RX. It replaces the BRP version which, apparently, is not matched.

http://www.jmcorp.com/ProductDetail....ctID=CSCBA-300

ken tompkins

Spyder Garage

OK SPYD3R, I was thinking you had it on to talk while cruising down the road. I was thinking of it as an option to talk to other Spyder Pilots. I don't have one of those units that attaches to my helmet.

Like BR1, I too can use a ham radio in an emergency. With a 2 meter Handie Talkie I could do a phone patch and get on the land line phone system to make an emergency call. With CB in the mountains you are basically screwed and won't get too far? I used a 2 meter decades ago to get roadside help. Also, with ham radio, there is a less likely chance of getting 'less desirables' helping you out.

BR1 I am KB4QXI. Same class license as you....I looked you up on the ARRL website. I'm working on my Extra? If there was time, I could set up a HF station at my campsite at SpyderFest.....but I think we will be too busy?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Cavman, I carry my 2 meter talkie with me but repeaters in far southwest Texas are few and far between. My friends and I make it a habit to not ride alone in these areas....a breakdown on some of our roads could put you in serious trouble....I do not ride off road for that reason, even on fairly good cow trails...ha ha. I don't have bluetooth on either scoot...we have great cell coverage in our local area, but I never use it much...

FYI I am too lazy to study for my Extra licence...my General serves me well with what I like to do....visit with far lands and some DX on 10 meters when open. I have a 40 year old HF antenna and a 2M omni and a 2m SSB beam on a 70 foot tower....with the usual inverted V for 40-80 visits. I have a an old 2,000 KW amplifier which I seldom use and never run more than 600-800 watts (1,500 now being the legal limit) and don't really need that power with my antenna setup...my day to day is 100 watts. I have 230v in my shack, but never have run 2K even when it was legal, years ago. Just no need.

You might find it interesting that I did not get my license until 1975 even though I went through radio school in 1952...as I was in the Air Force, I operated MARS and we did not need a license in those days...maybe they do now...don't know as I retired in 1991 from the AF.

I have several contacts in Australia and Brazil that I enjoy visiting with once in a while....plus a Texas net...

George WB5WFW

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA
    If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.