Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Update on wobbling issue with 2013 RTS SE5

Well I bought a 2013 RTS SE5 yellow spider and bought it home, parked it next to my 2012 RT SM5. While driving it home the front end was wobbling like a snake I mean I was getting seasick. Now being I already own a spider RT I knew there was a problem. My wife said let me ride it to church and see how it feels. She could not control it I mean handlebar was straight but it would go left and right on its own, one would think she was drinking. I drove it home myself and had a problem with the steering it was worse then ever. Tuesday I called the dealer and explained all this they said bring it in. I said you do not understand I am not driving this thing it is a life threatening situation I will not drive it you come and pick it up. They did and tonight I got the dreaded call from dealer, yes the tech says there is a problem however we do not know what the cause is and have called BRP for assistance. So it will be about a week until BRP gets back to them. So my wife's brand new RTS yellow SE5 is down for a time until this get rectified. Anyway I know everybody is doing the best they can to get this fixed but I wanted to inform everybody of this matter so they are aware of a potential problem with the 2013 RTS SE5. Well hope this helps all, God bless be safe
    Last edited by MIKESZONE2; 02-02-2013 at 11:08 PM. Reason: Update Heading

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Good for you having them pick it up!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Scary, but I have heard they did not handle that well anyway...hope it is a simple fix and brp does not dwell on the issue on their newest model...
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Over the years we have said over and over the importance of a quality pre delivery inspection. Especially on a new model you would think that BRP and their dealers would be committed to being sure the newest, latest and greatest products are being delivered trouble free (I guess it really boils down to the dealer). It seems like this could have easily been identified on a road test prior to delivery. Hopefully it is a simple fix and you will be back on the road soon.
    SpydermanCT

2010 RT-S SE5 Timeless Black PE # 794 ~ RT-622 Trailer ~ Can-Am Garmin 665 GPS ~ Elka Front Shocks ~ ESI Brightsides with Rips Kit ~ ESI RT Fender Tips Kit ~ Rear Brightsides ~ HMT Brake Light ~ Tricplate rear running / Brake LED's ~ ESI Mud Flap Lights ~ LED Day Runners ~ Right Side Inlet Covers ~ Street Magic Scuff Guards ~ IPS Key Cover ~ KewlMetal Kewlocks ~ Spyderpops Radiator Block Off Plate and Catalytic Converter Shield Set ~ Carbon Fiber Kit ~ Corbin Seat

Banged Up Member
    Spyder Garage

I have a 2013 RT-S Semi Auto and I'm not experiencing this at all. Additionally, the handling and ride is fantastic. I hope you get your issue resolved very quickly so that your wife can enjoy her spyder as I have been enjoying mine for the past month. It would seem that your issue may be unique to your spyder.

Chris

Spyder Garage

Hopefully, this is an anomaly.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Hopefully, this is an anomaly.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Well it appears from all of the wobbling posts on the forum that front end alignment needs to be checked on all new 2013 Spyders. At least it's something that cane be easily fixed!

Banged Up Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ga Blue Knight View Post
    Well it appears from all of the wobbling posts on the forum that front end alignment needs to be checked on all new 2013 Spyders. At least it's something that cane be easily fixed!
    I think that MOST of the posts have involved non 2013 spyders on the wobble issue. I've seen one involving a 2013 RT-S. Admittedly there have been "some" posts involving the ST, but I don't think very many in this sub forum. I could be wrong though. Old age eyes perhaps?

Chris
    Last edited by MouthPiece; 01-23-2013 at 06:52 AM.

Spyder Garage

There is also another active thread similar to this subject. Hope its an anomoly as mentioned above.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MouthPiece View Post
    I think that MOST of the posts have involved non 2013 spyders on the wobble issue. I've seen one involving a 2013 RT-S. Admittedly there have been "some" posts involving the ST, but I don't think very many in this sub forum. I could be wrong though. Old age eyes perhaps?

Chris
    One of the threads was by a dealer who said that he had a run on 2013 ST's all with out of align front ends which he fixed prior to sale. He is one of the good dealers obviously!

Banged Up Member
    Spyder Garage

One of the threads was by a dealer who said that he had a run on 2013 ST's all with out of align front ends which he fixed prior to sale. He is one of the good dealers obviously!
    Then perhaps that should be posted in the ST sub forum rather than the RT. As I said earlier. But for MIKEZONES2 post on his wife's 2013 RT, I haven't seen another post reference the same. Again, though I'm older and my sight may be failing me.

Chris

Ride Forrest Ride!
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MouthPiece View Post
    T Again, though I'm older and my sight may be failing me.

Chris
    Another one riding via braille.

Banged Up Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by effgjamis View Post
    Another one riding via braille.
    Smarty Pants!!!!!

Spyder Garage

If your dealer is willing have them swap out the front wheels with a unit on the floor. Good chance that you have bad wheels or tires or both. I know of one case for sure like this on a new unit.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Latest update on RTS SE5

Thank you Lamont and everybody else for your input. Well the latest as of today is this. Dealer says BRP acknowledges their is a alignment problem with some of the 2013 models. BRP says they can not test any units as of yet due to snow outside the factory. They also need to design a program for dealers to use on their alignment machines as of now they do not have one available for the 2013 models. I asked if they can switch the wheels from another unit on the floor like Lamont suggested but they said they can not do anything without BRP approval. They said BRP told them in a week they should have a alignment program for all the dealers and a fix for my wobbling issue. Will post update next week when I get word from BRP. Again thank you all for your support.
    Sincerely
    Mike

Registered Users
    Tucson, Arizona (winter), Burwell, Nebraska (summer)
    Spyder Garage

Default scarey handling on my newly delivered 2013 RT Limited

Just took delivery of my 2013 RT LTD two days ago. Purchased it at a dealership 400 miles away and drove it home. In my 50 years of motorcycle riding, this has been one of the scariest events of my life. At most times, while riding it back on I-10, I was doing well to hold it in my lane, while the 18 wheelers drove by within inches. Most noticable above 45 mph. Cross winds, any undulation in pavement, truckers passing you, can all but suck you into another lane and cause a high speed wobble that gets worse as you chase the steering trying to correct it. The machine is inherently unstable - and I had specifically waited for the 13's because their handling was reputed to be much improved.

Many many thanks for this posting. I thought it was me and that I simply needed to re-learn how to ride a motorcycle, or I was having seisures. It seems that it could be an allignment problem or an issue with the electronic power steering. If you've ever overtightened a steering box (to remove some free play), in the older cars, the end result feels about the same as the Can Am's problem.

I cannot over stress how dangerous this situation is. Notably, upon purchase, Can Am dutifully has the purchasor sign all maner of paperwork certifying that he/she has been instructed on the safety issues. Clearly they're concerned about our "litigious society" and legal claims against their product. But to let some of these machines, get out the door, with this issue, defies any reasonable business practice.

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CurrantRyder View Post
    Just took delivery of my 2013 RT LTD two days ago. Purchased it at a dealership 400 miles away and drove it home. In my 50 years of motorcycle riding, this has been one of the scariest events of my life. At most times, while riding it back on I-10, I was doing well to hold it in my lane, while the 18 wheelers drove by within inches. Most noticable above 45 mph. Cross winds, any undulation in pavement, truckers passing you, can all but suck you into another lane and cause a high speed wobble that gets worse as you chase the steering trying to correct it. The machine is inherently unstable - and I had specifically waited for the 13's because their handling was reputed to be much improved.

Many many thanks for this posting. I thought it was me and that I simply needed to re-learn how to ride a motorcycle, or I was having seisures. It seems that it could be an allignment problem or an issue with the electronic power steering. If you've ever overtightened a steering box (to remove some free play), in the older cars, the end result feels about the same as the Can Am's problem.

I cannot over stress how dangerous this situation is. Notably, upon purchase, Can Am dutifully has the purchasor sign all maner of paperwork certifying that he/she has been instructed on the safety issues. Clearly they're concerned about our "litigious society" and legal claims against their product. But to let some of these machines, get out the door, with this issue, defies any reasonable business practice.
    Typical of inadequate toe-in. My 2010 was the same. Super scay, even for a veteran rider. A good dealer should be able to take care of you. Sounds like BRP is already working on a solution.

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Zenagirl's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Steering Instability Issues

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Typical of inadequate toe-in. My 2010 was the same. Super scay, even for a veteran rider. A good dealer should be able to take care of you. Sounds like BRP is already working on a solution.
    Due to a previous posting by someone who was having alignment issues, I told my dealership what I had been reading on Spyderlovers, and my concerns about the new ST-L that I was purchasing from them. I don't believe I was taken seriously at first, but after giving specific information that I had read, I believe they became aware that there really is an issue. I hope this is resolved, as I too waited for the 2013 STs due to the fact that they were promoted as being much safer and better built for the road, etc., and passed up the large savings and promotions on the 2012 models for the safer 2013s.

I am asking for my dealer to test drive the Spyder for 10 to 15 miles themselves so that they can say they are happy with the handling and that it is very safe and nothing is wrong with it. I don't want to see a big "0" on my odometer. I hope BRP and the dealers are able to take care of this scarey situation. Hope it all works out well for all of us!!

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Zenagirl's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Dealer's thread re: alignment

Can you please direct me to that thread by the dealer? I'd like to read it. Also my dealer said he was going to post about this problem as well, and I haven't been able to find that one either. I can't wait until I get my new but I'm happy to wait until it is completely safe before I bring it home.
    Many thanks!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Wow!!

The question you have to wonder about and beg to ask? Does the mechanic at the dealer take a vehicle for a ride after they pdi them? If I was handing a vehicle over to a customer for a sale, I would take it for a ride to make sure the set up was perfect. Same with repairs. Customer comes in with an issue, you test drive it as part of diagnosing the problem. You fix the problem, you test drive it after you give it back to the customer. Something is wrong when you pick up a brand new Spyder and it has issues already. I love the Spyder, but this sounds like poor customer service to me, cant blame it on the bike.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Banged Up Member
    Spyder Garage

I know my dealer/tech did. When he test drove my spyder and came back from where he started, he saw a puddle of coolant. He realized there was a problem which was subsequently diagnosed as a kink in the hose. Problem was fixed and no more coolant on floor.

Chris

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Glad to hear that your dealer is on the ball!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Wobbling issues

Quote Originally Posted by SpydermanCT View Post
    Over the years we have said over and over the importance of a quality pre delivery inspection. Especially on a new model you would think that BRP and their dealers would be committed to being sure the newest, latest and greatest products are being delivered trouble free (I guess it really boils down to the dealer). It seems like this could have easily been identified on a road test prior to delivery. Hopefully it is a simple fix and you will be back on the road soon.
    I have a 2012 RT Limited. I'm not certain if it is BRP or the Dealer that is doing a poor job of quality control or checking these units for alignment before they hit the road. My ride home with my RT was 80 miles of hanging on to a monster. Found a great dealer, with a good shop. Alignment did the trick, Elka's and Baja Ron Sway bar tweaked it in to one great ride, absolutely love it. Patience is important, I have been working on the gas fumes which was a pinched hose, fuel gauge not working and high temps which is a weeping water pump. Again not the dealer working on the Spyder, something very wrong which would be quality control. Just my two cents, BRP better get with quality control.