Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

The new gas cap didn't fix the gas fume smell so I went ahead and performed the canister removal mod. Took it out on 20 minute ride today with a full tank of fuel. Parked it in the garage and 15 minutes later had no gas smell. The real test will be this weekend when we go on a long enough ride that will heat the tank up enough to evaporate gas in the tank (boiling point).
    MODS: Elka Shocks, ESI RT HMT Brake Light, ESI RT Brightsides, ESI Fender TIPS, ESI RIPS, ESI RT Day Runners, Grip Puppies
    AmerSeal Sealant, KewlMetal Kewlock, Scorpio I900 Security System, Stebel Nautilus air horn, KewlMetal Highway Brackets & ISO Wings
    Corbin seat, trunkrest & driver backrest, Capt.Jim's Belt Tensioner, SpyderPops LaBlock, Cat Shields, Bumpskid & Belt Guard
    Seal PUP Floorboards, BRP chrome, Ron's Anti-Sway Bar, Lamonster LED Head/Fog Lights & BRP Air Scoops
    2011 RTL , White

Registered Users JJW SpyderRider's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jmcbow View Post
    Thanks Lamont, I am the original owner. 2010 RTS, but I've not recieved anything regarding a gas cap recall. Will check with my dealership. Thanks again.
    I live in Northern Illinois and have not received anything yet but don't expect one at this time of year. Let BRP take care of those that are still riding, at least more than me, first. I have not had any issues with gas smell on ether of my Spyders.

RT-S: HMT brake light, mud flap lights/turn signals, Trailer hitch, Garmin 660 GPS, Ride-On, Travel cover, LED Mirror turn signals, LED trunk lighting, RGB ground effect lighting, BajRon anti-sway bar, to be continued ......

Member of the WSR (Woodstock Spyder Riders)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Got mine yessterday

I'm sure it's because of our tropical weather and everyone here in sunny Indiana is riding on a daily basis.
    BTW, the only time I've had a fuel smell issue was when the weather was in the high 90's and I was ridng in stop and go traffic. So really, very few times. I've never considered it an issue.
    Love my

Statistics show that most motorcycle accidents are caused by a defective nut holding the handlbars.

Spyder Garage

Default New Gas Cap

The replacement gas cap did the trick. No more gas fumes filling up the garage

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Gas fumes 2012 RT

I have noted gas fumes coming from my 2012 RTS and it worries me a lot! Very strong on some days--I will let my dealer look into this next visit. I have looked for but never found any signs under the bike. I have noted that after rides in which I run fast I have more fumes after parking which leads me to think it may be the holding tank and plumbing at fault. Thanks to all for the input on this!

Spyder Garage

At first I thought that the new gas cap cured the gas smell problem, not so. I took a long ride yesterday and parked in the garage. Went in the house for a few minutes and when I went back in the garage there was the strong gas smell again. Have to leave the garage open for an hour or so to clear the fumes. Wish there was a solution that the dealer could perform!!

2012 Spyder RT Limited
    Guardian Bell (gift from son)
    Spyderpops bumpskid
    ISCI hand brake
    BajaRon Anti-Sway Bar
    BRP Adjustable Wind Deflectors

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Andy,
    Any chance that it was just a case of overfilling the fuel tank?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ABQAndy View Post
    At first I thought that the new gas cap cured the gas smell problem, not so. I took a long ride yesterday and parked in the garage. Went in the house for a few minutes and when I went back in the garage there was the strong gas smell again. Have leave the garage open for an hour or so clear the fumes. Wish there was a solution that the dealer could perform!!
    Not saying this is your problem but I'm told there has been problems with purge valve failure. One would think if it fails to work, that would cause over vaporizing of the canister. That, in my thinking may cause the canister to foul. Emissions are a five year warranty item - if memory serves me

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

So if I've got this figured right; there's about three reasons for fuel smells...
    Leaky gas cap gasket
    Bad purge valve
    overfilling the tank...

Are there any others that come to mind?
    The issue of the warranty is interesting...
    If overfilling the tank ruins that canister; could that still be considered a warranty item?
    After all; if you let it dry out well before calling the dealer; could they trace it back to owner error?

Registered Users JJW SpyderRider's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    So if I've got this figured right; there's about three reasons for fuel smells...
    Leaky gas cap gasket
    Bad purge valve
    overfilling the tank...

Are there any others that come to mind?
    The issue of the warranty is interesting...
    If overfilling the tank ruins that canister; could that still be considered a warranty item?
    After all; if you let it dry out well before calling the dealer; could they trace it back to owner error?
    Bob, You might add the leaking fitting on top of the gas tank.

RT-S: HMT brake light, mud flap lights/turn signals, Trailer hitch, Garmin 660 GPS, Ride-On, Travel cover, LED Mirror turn signals, LED trunk lighting, RGB ground effect lighting, BajRon anti-sway bar, to be continued ......

Member of the WSR (Woodstock Spyder Riders)

Spyder Garage

Bob,

No, I started on the ride yesterday with about 3/4 of a tank of gas and didn't refill after the ride. I also am fairly careful not to overfill the tank.

2012 Spyder RT Limited
    Guardian Bell (gift from son)
    Spyderpops bumpskid
    ISCI hand brake
    BajaRon Anti-Sway Bar
    BRP Adjustable Wind Deflectors

Spyder Garage

Andy,
    Any chance that it was just a case of overfilling the fuel tank?
    This is the first question they ask when you report the problem to a dealer and looks to me like an effort to blame the owner and/or possibly avoid acknowledging there is a basic problem!
    I never had this problem with my 2010 RT but had it from the 1st week with the 2012 RT and I never "overfilled" either one.

Something different with the 2012? The Canister & purge valve were replaced on the 2012 by my dealer and I have the new cap, but the problem is still there.
    My dealer is consulting with BRP on the next step....
    Last edited by cjackg; 02-04-2013 at 07:27 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That's an easy question to answer;
    "No sir; I would never, EVER, EVER overfill a tank!"
    Please keep us in the loop on what is found. Good Luck!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I think, I am really hoping, that the second replacement cap is a winner, Last Saturday i. was at the selling dealership browsing an made mention that my original replacement call was not working. I took it off for the service department CSR to look at and it was her recommendation to take a cap turned in by a former owner and try it over the weekend.

i am glad that I did!!!!!
    Last edited by Bob Ledford; 02-04-2013 at 07:04 PM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default I didn't ...

Quote Originally Posted by Tazzel View Post
    I have a RS SE5 2012. I have no gas smell, I will take the gas cap if I get one but I will just keep it as an extra, Why mess with it. So far no problems with my Spyder dont want to mess with the mojo
    I have the same model and year too Tazzel and I didn't have any gas smell either ... But after seeing some posts about fires starting with or without any indication / warning ... I did change out to the New gas cap that came from BRP.

Spyder Garage

Default Smell...

We did not have any gas fume smell with the old gas caps --
    We received the new ones for the RSS and RTS and dutifully put them on.
    Went on 2 different rides and the gas smell was overwhelming in the garage both times.
    Put the old gas caps back on to test if there was any fumes and amazingly, there was absolutely none.
    What's up with that? Frustrated.

spydeyblue

Default Same Problem with Our 2012 RT-S

We own a 2012 RT-S, and we've started having the same problem with strong gasoline odors, and liquid gasoline dripping from the evap cannister overflow line, after a long ride, and a nearly empty gas tank. After reading many posts on this forum, we know better than to even come close to overfilling our gas tank. We took our Spyder to the dealership a few weeks ago, and all they did was replace the evap cannister. As soon as we rode our Spyder home from the dealership, the evap cannister overflow line was dripping gasoline again, so obviously, the cannister wasn't the only problem. My guess, after reading the technical manual, and lots of posts on this forum, is the purge valve has failed. We're taking our Spyder back to the dealership again, and I'm going to insist they troubleshoot the blasted purge valve, this time around, not just throw another cannister at the problem. If the purge valve isn't broken, then my guess is the vapor recovery system design itself is flawed, somehow. If so, BRP needs to fix the problem, ASAP, with a voluntary recall. California is pretty harsh, when it comes to vehicle emission violations, so BRP would be much better off handling the problem themselves, before Sacramento finds out about it!

Sincerely,
    Paul and Linda

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Ledford View Post
    I think, I am really hoping, that the second replacement cap is a winner, Last Saturday i. was at the selling dealership browsing an made mention that my original replacement call was not working. I took it off for the service department CSR to look at and it was her recommendation to take a cap turned in by a former owner and try it over the weekend.
    Bob,

Any improvement?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    These are being distributed in somebody's idea of accordance with riding season. Michigan hasn't been notified yet, either. Be patient!
    Recieved mine yesterday, I guess their not shipping these "in accordance with the riding season" as there is a foot of snow on the ground here.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jmcbow View Post
    Recieved mine yesterday, I guess their not shipping these "in accordance with the riding season" as there is a foot of snow on the ground here.
    Yea, we got ours yesterday, too. Maybe they know something we don't?
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Perhaps they're forecasting an early Spring???

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default no darn it

Bob,

Any improvement?

I went out on Sat. For about 60 mile ride average temperature was in the low seventies came he pulled in the garage, went through a short idle period, while I set the PB and killed it with the key switch. No immediate odors present. Anne came in and said, you need to smell the garage! It just reeked of boiling fuel odors. Turned on the fan and raised the garage door a foot. Took about an hour to clear the air.

Did the same thing on Sunday but no odors emitted.

Did the same thing on Monday no orders emitted. Tank is showing half capacity now.

Tuesday took a short three miler to the dealership to meet a friend from AL, went to lunch another two mile trip after lunch retraced the route and when I turned the Spyder off the gas odors were excessive..

Needless to say I was really discouraged by it all. Plan on going to the dealership in a bit if it does not rain in the meantime.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There is nothing more frustrating, than a problem that rears it's head "intermittently".
    The purge valve is sticking once in a while??

Make sure that they're aware that it's not doing it all of the time... Good Luck!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Obviously bad

[QUOTE=OneBadPenny;569667]We did not have any gas fume smell with the old gas caps --
    We received the new ones for the RSS and RTS and dutifully put them on.
    Went on 2 different rides and the gas smell was overwhelming in the garage both times.
    Put the old gas caps back on to test if there was any fumes and amazingly, there was absolutely none.
    What's up with that? Frustrated.[/QUOTE

i wish I had your problem and you had mine. I am on number two cap and the problem is worse then the original compliant. 2011 RTL. 3,000 miles Aug 2011 new.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Back in the shop

It went back in the shop this afternoon for a canister MRI!!!!!