Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Fuel Gauge Readings

I would like to ask what your analogue fuel gauge reads when you fill your tank till the nozzle clicks ..as many replies as possible would be great...i only have the analogue gauge by the way

Thankyou in advance

Lots of people looking, but no-one replying ( apart from sonicsix who i would like to thank for that)............. Is everyone running on the digital gauge?
    Last edited by canamgirls; 01-08-2013 at 11:34 AM. Reason: more info

Spyder Garage

After a fillup, mine would read "almost full". I disconnected the analog gauges and use the digital ones on the display. They are much more accurate.

2012 Can Am Spyder RT-S SE5, Pure Magnesium
    www.JerryandCynthia.com - Our Riding Adventures

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamgirls View Post
    I would like to ask what your analogue fuel gauge reads when you fill your tank till the nozzle clicks ..as many replies as possible would be great...i only have the analogue gauge by the way

Thankyou in advance
    Same as below, the analog will read alomost full. But I will top off after the first click to get it fully full, if that is a correct language use!

Spyder Garage

Same as above. I top mine off if I am going to ride on that tank of gas. I usually ride until the fuel light comes on, because I know I can make it to a gas station and still only put 5 gal. in it. If I am parking it, I do not top it off because of the fumes issue.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I nozzle her up until it clicks offm, and then just round up to the next even dollar.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Cool Mine says Full

You don't say what year or model Spyder you have and that might make a difference. I have a 2009 GS and I have only the digital gauge. I do know that the automatic shut off on gas pumps can vary from pump to pump and is definitely determined by how far down in the tank you push the nozzle . I try to lower the nozzle about 2" into the tank and then fill. Although I do keep a close eye on it, it seems to click off just when I can barely see the fuel in the tank and has never over flowed. My gauge then shows full. My gauge does show empty very early. On several occasions I have filled up after the orange little pump was glowing, and I have yet to put more than 4.1 gallons in. Hope this helps more than it confuses.

Spyder Garage

Thankyou in advance

2011 RTS, 2" (+/-) into the tank, after it clicks off I round up to the nearest dime, gauge reads full.

Baja Ron - Dimple - Ultimate - Lamonster Garage - K&N - Smoothspyder - Amsoil - Hiflo - FOBO - Spyderpops

Sena - Dynaplug - Shoei - Tourmaster - Garmin

Spyder Garage

Same results with 2008 GS, 2009 RS, 2010 RT-S, and 2011 RT A&C.

Fill till gas comes up to within a 1/4 inch of the ring. I do not use auto shut off--but watch the fill close. Gas level will go down and I squirt a little more in, gas goes down again I squirt a little more in. The gauge will register at the top on either the analog or digital gauges.

Both RT's have the analog gauge set up but I have disabled both and use the digital gauges now. They are much more accurate and I do not have to worry about the bouncing needle on the analog gauges.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 01-08-2013 at 04:03 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Same results with 2008 GS, 2009 RS, 2010 RT-S, and 2011 RT A&C.

Fill till gas comes up to the ring. I do not use auto shut off--but watch the fill close. Gas level will go down and I squirt a little more in, gas goes down again I squirt a little more in. The gauge will register at the top on either the analog or digital gauges.

Both RT's have the analog gauge set up but I have disabled both and use the digital gauges now. They are much more accurate and I do not have to worry about the bouncing needle on the analog gauges.
    If you fill right to the ring, no matter how slowly, you will push some gas to the emissions canister and ruin it. I recommend you quit when slowly filling begings to splash gas out the ring's vent slots.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

I thought I might hear from you about this. I have had no problem with gas going into the emissions cannister on any of my 's--but your warning is a good one.

When I said up to the ring--I actually stop at a quarter of an inch or so below. I will edit my earlier reply.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I follow Scotty's (NancysToy) advice:
    Place nozzle just barely below ring
    Fill slowly
    Stop when get splash out of vent slots in ring

I usually add to get to the even nickel. I use the analog gauge and following the above it reads full. I've heard about the issue with the bouncing analog gauge but the gauge on my 2012 RT Limited does not bounce at all.
    2016 F3-L Special Series? Mods: Lamonster IPS end caps w/ Gripper 3rd pegs, GPS mount, Power Plate, Perf. Muffler; Backoff Brake Light Strobe; CD Front (amber/red) Brightsides & Tip Kit; ISCI Flag Holder w/Long Poles; BRP Signature Light, Aux Lights, Saddlebag Liners, Garmin 590 GPS; TricLED foam Grips, LEDs (Aux/headlights); Pitbull Driving Lights; RDL seat; Ultimate backrest

Previous ryde: 2012 RT-L, 26,636 miles on it when traded; 2014 RT-L, 34,147 miles on it when traded

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Another Opinion gas gauges

I fill until the auto fill nozzle clicks off.

When? When ever the gauge needle gets into the red or close to it and there is a station handy. A normal fill is 3.3 gallons to 4"2 & 100 to 140 miles.

The gas pump idiot light means it will take five gallons and one to three tents per fill up.

2011 RTL 2980 miles

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Full squeeze until the pump stops, and the half squeeze until the pump stops, and then up to the dollar even on the pump with no cents.

Spyder Garage

Default bouncing needle

Bouncing needle is a warranty issue that BRP has replaced on mine

Quote Originally Posted by SpyRyd View Post
    I follow Scotty's (NancysToy) advice:
    Place nozzle just barely below ring
    Fill slowly
    Stop when get splash out of vent slots in ring

I usually add to get to the even nickel. I use the analog gauge and following the above it reads full. I've heard about the issue with the bouncing analog gauge but the gauge on my 2012 RT Limited does not bounce at all.

[