Hybrid View

Spyder Garage

Default Oil and filters cost

hello lovers ..
    Just want to share this information , today I had my first oil and filters change at the dealer in Kuwait after I run my RT to 600 miles .. The cost was shocking , I just paid KD60 , its around $213 . Does the US dealer cost the same ?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Calgary, Alberta

Stealership there quoted $200. plus 5 liters of my choice of oil (same place charged me $16.00/liter for BRP oil) So that is $282.00 plus tax CDN You did good!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder Envy View Post
    Stealership there quoted $200. plus 5 liters of my choice of oil (same place charged me $16.00/liter for BRP oil) So that is $282.00 plus tax CDN You did good!
    Thank you for this tip ,, ohh i thought i was overprised its seems like it is also a common issues .

Spyder Garage

$250-$300 is common for an oil change and filter. Looks like you got a deal.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    $250-$300 is common for an oil change and filter. Looks like you got a deal.
    I can't believe the price range for an oil change. My dealer told me $150 and I was so shocked that I've done them all myself for about $75 using Amsoil.

Spyder Garage

Amazing...

Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JJW SpyderRider View Post
    I can't believe the price range for an oil change. My dealer told me $150 and I was so shocked that I've done them all myself for about $75 using Amsoil.
    But you didn't charge for labor.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Oil change

Quote Originally Posted by JonahAshk View Post
    hello lovers ..
    Just want to share this information , today I had my first oil and filters change at the dealer in Kuwait after I run my RT to 600 miles .. The cost was shocking , I just paid KD60 , its around $213 . Does the US dealer cost the same ?
    I had my first oil change last year at my dealership and it cost me $235. I asked why so much and my salesman told me they go thru the entire bike and make sure everything is up to spec"s. Funny thing is, they only took 45 minutes to do everything.

Last spring when I took my Spyder out of storage, I decided to do my own oil change. It was a bitch removing all the panels, but once that was don, changing toe oil and both filters was a snap. I also believe that the tranny filter was the one that came with the bike meaning they never changed it the first time. I can't prove it but all indications were that the cover had not been removed since the factory build. The filter also had differant markings than the replacment filters I bought from the dealer, and they were in BRP boxes.

I was in Virginia Beach last summer and I made a visit to the Spyder dealer there and asked about there policy. They include first free oil change and check-up with each new sales. It leads me to believe a lot of dealers are ripping-off all us nice folke that laid-out $30,000 just to buy the Spyder. Just the same, I love my Spyder and will continue to to my own service.

For all who don't know, BRP has replaced the side panels to make it easier to do the oil change. The dealer is suppose to replace the panels the next time you get your oil changed. I have asked my dealer for the panels as he knows I do my own oil changes, but so far I have not recived them yet.

Happy ridding to all,George

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Service

I take mine to the dealer for the service checks, but I change my own oil and filters myself. So it is around a $100.00 for the dealer to check everything else out.
    Note: I paid them $30.00 to put on the new panel and screen I guess you would call it on in between service calls.
    Last edited by Grandpa Spyder; 01-06-2013 at 05:11 PM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

As stated before I do my own oil changes. Since owning my and taken the into the dealers for service they have done some of the services not not all require or requested (even if I was billed for the work). By doing my own service, keeping good records, and all receipts I know exactly what work has been done. I do take the in enough to get the BUDS connected and updates done. When I take the in I bring a list of work that needs to be completed. I got tired of telling them to do work like; Front end alignment, Belt alignment and tension, A-arm lube, etc. and it not being done or being marked done but not completed. For me it is a fun hobby working on the . Its not for everyone and that's fine. Its just something I enjoy.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Love working on my

Spyder Garage

thanks everyone .. day after day i learn more about my rt thanks to all of you

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by whitege View Post

For all who don't know, BRP has replaced the side panels to make it easier to do the oil change. The dealer is suppose to replace the panels the next time you get your oil changed. I have asked my dealer for the panels as he knows I do my own oil changes, but so far I have not recived them yet.

What are the side panels look like ? I have 2012 RT .. do i have to replace them ?

Very Active Member Peacekeeper6's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by whitege View Post
    I had my first oil change last year at my dealership and it cost me $235. I asked why so much and my salesman told me they go thru the entire bike and make sure everything is up to spec"s. Funny thing is, they only took 45 minutes to do everything.

Last spring when I took my Spyder out of storage, I decided to do my own oil change. It was a bitch removing all the panels, but once that was don, changing toe oil and both filters was a snap. I also believe that the tranny filter was the one that came with the bike meaning they never changed it the first time. I can't prove it but all indications were that the cover had not been removed since the factory build. The filter also had differant markings than the replacment filters I bought from the dealer, and they were in BRP boxes.

I was in Virginia Beach last summer and I made a visit to the Spyder dealer there and asked about there policy. They include first free oil change and check-up with each new sales. It leads me to believe a lot of dealers are ripping-off all us nice folke that laid-out $30,000 just to buy the Spyder. Just the same, I love my Spyder and will continue to to my own service.

I'd be leery of oil change/total inspection that takes such a short amount of time, and here's why:

I took my boat for its first oil/oil filter change, as well as the fuel filter, at a dealer. I put a small black dot on BOTH filters in an area that wasn't obvious. When I got my boat back, they said they did all the 20 hr service maintenance, INCLUDING replacing both oil and fuel filters.

Riiiiiiiight.

I knew they were bullsh*tting me when lo and behold, I inspected their work and saw that the filters still had the black dots, which proved to me that they didn't replace the damn things.

I believe most dealers are out to make a quick buck. If they have the opportunity to maximize their profits by "providing service" in a short amount of time, they'd do it in a New York second. How is the owner gonna know anyway, right ??

That is why it behooves you to learn to maintain your bike as much as your abilities can handle.

My opinion, your results may vary....
    Last edited by Peacekeeper6; 05-06-2020 at 02:23 PM. Reason: edit
    SIGNATURE PIC CURRENTLY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

2016 Toyota Sienna SE - hers
    2002 BMW 325i - his
    1994 Chevrolet Silverado K1500 Sportside Z71 - whoevers vehicle is in the shop
    2009 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Vivid Black) - his
    2018 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited - hers
    2007 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Pearl White) - hers (SOLD 02/29/20)
    2011 Tao Tao 50 - whoevers bike is in the shop
    2007 Reinell 186 FNS - the dog's
    1995 Fleetwood Flair 27R - EVERYBODY'S !

Spyder Garage

Just had a change on my 2015 In Surprise, Az. Cost was $284.00.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My dealer is quoting 'around' $300 for 3K mile check and oil change. I'll eb letting them do that then figure how I'm gonna handle future maintenance. I'm leaning toward just bite the silver bullet and let the dealer do it after reading comment #12. I'm getting to the age I don't want to do all that maintenance stuff but the price does make me think about it.

Spyder Garage

I've stated before how I feel about the gouging going on with oil changes.
    DIY, as low as 35. for a full synthetic, filter and o-rings, and 2 beers on the new triple.
    The old twin took a little longer, but with the replacement panel, it wasn't bad.

Spyder Garage

If one has a triple and isn't doing extensive touring you're talking about once a year so the price may not be bad but you also have to consider the wide range of labor rates around the country. If you have a triple and are changing the oil & filter more frequently than 9,300 you're wasting $$ IMO.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Since moving to AR, happy to say that both places I have been to have had "fair" prices for the oil change/filter portion of the work done.

Parts, plus $60 to $80 per hour. Thank you Lamonster Garage, and Spyderpops.

No more $130 per hour and $300 or so just for the oil change/filter part.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

It is very unfortunate that you can't trust dealerships. It isn't always greed or that they just don't care. It is common that everyone wants service at about the same time. Dealership service departments get busy and customers are screaming for a quick turn-a-round. And they give it to them. Many times at the expense of doing a proper job.

Here is a story from a customer that is similar to others that I have gotten over the years. This customer does all of his own services using my HiFlo oil filter kit. He planned a tour with his wife in the spring and intended to do a service on his RT Spyder before he left. Well, things happened and he just didn't get time to do it. So, he bit the bullet and took it to his dealer to the tune of around $300.00.

When they returned from their trip a few weeks later, he did an oil change because he wanted to go back to Amsoil, which he had been using up until the dealer service. When he discovered that his Spyder had a HiFlo oil filter, he called the dealership and asked what brand of filters they used for the Spyder. He was told that they only used BRP products. Which means, they did not change the oil filter. Then he wondered if they even changed the oil.

I think most dealerships will do the job right. The sad truth is. How do you know? Not everyone can go to Lamonster Garage or SpyderPops, etc.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 05-11-2020 at 08:48 AM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I always had that nagging thought as well. When I rode the GW trike I had my independent 'go to' guy I trusted, now with my Spyder I'm stuck with the dealer, it is what is and I hope it works out.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

On my first spyder service i guess i lucked out. I got an extra quart of oil (6qt. instead of 5qt.) and an extra 100 lbs. of tension on my drive belt. However, the sad thing is that some (not all) doctors/surgeons do the same dam thing by lying to their patients and performing needless operations raking in thousands of dollars for themselves and the hospitals where they conduct their misdeeds. Not to trivialize a simple oil/filter change, but more crime/thefts are committed without a gun than with. I feel so sad for people who get taken by these crooks.