Spyder Garage

Default Can't open the frunk with my key

Wanted to get in to my frunk to get something out and I can't open it. The key will push down but won't turn to open the frunk. It still works for the seat though so I don't think it's an issue with the key cylinder (or whatever it's called).

Any ideas? Thanks for any help you all can give me

Spyder Garage

Default Can't open the frunk with my key

Cable broke or latch mechanism malfunction at the frunk. Probably just stuck/binded where the catch is...

Spyder Garage

Spray some lock lubricant (Lock-Ez) into the switch and work the key a bit in as many directions as you can. In a pinch, WD-40 will work, but it dries the lock out, so use a good graphite lube as soon as possible afterwards. Push down on the trunk lid as you try to turn the lock. Anything in the trunk that pushes up against the lid will hinder opening. A dry, sticky latch will, too. If you get the trunk open, lightly lubricate the latch mechanism and sparingly lube the latch post with the recommended BRP lube, waterproof grease, or silicone grease. Also lube the cable with a cable lube tool. If the lock still won't turn, take off the panel where you change the oil, and reach in until you find the latch cable. Pulling on it should release the latch. Then see your dealer to deal with the ignition switch or bad cable.

Ypu may want to consider adding an emergency release. http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-Trunk-Release
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

PM sent

Very Happy '08 Spyder RS Owner

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Spray some lock lubricant (Lock-Ez) into the switch and work the key a bit in as many directions as you can. In a pinch, WD-40 will work, but it dries the lock out, so use a good graphite lube as soon as possible afterwards. Push down on the trunk lid as you try to turn the lock. Anything in the trunk that pushes up against the lid will hinder opening. A dry, sticky latch will, too. If you get the trunk open, lightly lubricate the latch mechanism and sparingly lube the latch post with the recommended BRP lube, waterproof grease, or silicone grease. Also lube the cable with a cable lube tool. If the lock still won't turn, take off the panel where you change the oil, and reach in until you find the latch cable. Pulling on it should release the latch. Then see your dealer to deal with the ignition switch or bad cable.

Ypu may want to consider adding an emergency release. http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-Trunk-Release
    and if you have a frunk liner make sure it is in place correct after you do get it open. I had mine keep the lid from opening because it was pushing the lid up. Pressure on the lid will keep it from opening.
    Is it Friday yet? ... Oh yeah, I forgot. I'm retired

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold
    2014 RT - Testing completed
    2016 F3-T Audio package - Sold

Spyder Garage

Try pushing down on the lid where the latch is as you turn the key. Chances are, something is holding it up far enough that the latch is jammed.

john

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Frunk

the cable runs right behind the left lower fog light if you do not have
    a fog light there you can put your fingers in the hole feel around for
    the cable and pull on it the lid will open if the cable is not broken
    good luck
    Dave

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Sorry what happened but please keep us inform the process.
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

When I first got the Spyder, one day I could not figure out why my key would not open the frunk lock... turned out I was turning it the wrong direction. It happens!
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow