Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Tires and wheels 12 vs 13

What do u guys think about new bigger wheels and low profile tires on "13 models?
    I dont wanna ride much highways, and side roads are not always in best shape over here. Bigger tire can absorb more, wheel with low profile tire can band after big hole....
    Right? Or wheel on "13 models are strong enough and will be comfie on even bad road?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good question!
    The overall diameter of everything turns out to be the same, so that lack of a bit of a sidewall MIGHT make a difference in the ride...
    But I didn't feel it when I tested one; albeit on pretty decent roads...
    I'd call it a non-issue!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Lightbulb Are the wheel weights the same?

Wondering if the total wheel with mounted tire the same weight on the 12 as 13's? Lower weight means less unsprung weight that equals better ride---

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

A little more metal in the rim and little bit less rubber in the tire...
    It might work out to be a pretty even match-up.
    Oh! Bigger Brembos up front; the new unsprung weight amount is probably a couple of pounds higher per side...

Spyder Garage

For 2013 BRP changed the front tire size from 165/65 R14 to 165/55 R15. The Wheel Diameter has changed from 14" to 15" but the Tire Diameter remains the same. The Section Width for both is 165mm (6.49") but the Sidewall Aspect Ratio has been changed from 65 to 55. So the Sidewall Height has changed from 107.25mm (4.22") to 90.75mm (3.57").

Theoretically the smaller sidewall height of the 2013 tires should give better handling characteristics because there is less flex in the sidewall. This may come at the expense of some ride comfort, and since the tire has less flexibility it may be more prone to damage by road hazards.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Personally, I don't like the looks of bigger wheels and low profile tires. At some point they start to look like wagon wheels to me but that's just my opinion, of course. There may be some handling advantage in having less sidewall flex, at least the handling characteristics may be more predictable. It seems to me that the biggest advantage to having the bigger wheels is in allowing bigger brake disks. One disadvantage of the bigger, low profile tires will probably be higher priced tires. That has certainly been the case with car and pickup tires. Overall, I prefer the smaller wheels and higher profile tires.

Cotton

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

They went with the bigger wheels so that they had room to stuff the Brembos in under them... A more than fair trade-off!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikeguy View Post
    Personally, I don't like the looks of bigger wheels and low profile tires. One disadvantage of the bigger, low profile tires will probably be higher priced tires. That has certainly been the case with car and pickup tires. Overall, I prefer the smaller wheels and higher profile tires.

Cotton
    plus we'll have to see how much damage is done to the rims from pot-holes, etc.

....and we're gonna ride, we're gonna ride.....

ride like the one-eyed Jack of Diamonds, with
    the devil close behind,.....we're gonna ride....

2008 GS.....PE # 2888

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I can remember when the ATVs started ramping up the wheel sizes from 12" to 15". On such a low pressure setup it should have spelled disaster; but I never had any issues whatsoever!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    They went with the bigger wheels so that they had room to stuff the Brembos in under them... A more than fair trade-off!
    I agree that upgrading to the Brembos is a good thing. But in a recent thread regarding Spyder brakes, I think that I was the only one who didn't have high praise for the existing brakes. I think my comment was that they were just adequate. I was comparing the Spyder brakes to the brakes on my 2000 BMW which were Brembos and stopped on a dime.

Cotton

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikeguy View Post
    I agree that upgrading to the Brembos is a good thing. But in a recent thread regarding Spyder brakes, I think that I was the only one who didn't have high praise for the existing brakes. I think my comment was that they were just adequate. I was comparing the Spyder brakes to the brakes on my 2000 BMW which were Brembos and stopped on a dime.

Cotton
    I don't remember that thread, and may not have commented, but I agree with your assessment. The stock brakes are adequate...and somewhat marginal with a trailer/passenger/cargo load. The Brembos were a welcome change.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I gave the Brembos a workout when I took the ST Limited for a test flight... MUCH better control and feel through the pedal and a whole lot more "Whoa-Power"!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I gave the Brembos a workout when I took the ST Limited for a test flight... MUCH better control and feel through the pedal and a whole lot more "Whoa-Power"!
    That sounds good. I haven't been by my dealer in a while. I need to go by and see if they have an ST and if I can get a test ride. I'm gonna wait for a little warmer weather, though. It's been kinda cool for us wimps who don't normally ride in such weather.

Cotton

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Did you guys end up with a White Christmas down there; or is it just a bit chillier than the normal great weather??

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    I don't remember that thread, and may not have commented, but I agree with your assessment. The stock brakes are adequate...and somewhat marginal with a trailer/passenger/cargo load. The Brembos were a welcome change.
    The braking distances while pulling the 622 can be unnerving...
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332
    '01 Black GL1800A Goldwing #0930

"Remember in the darkness what you have learned in the light." - Joe Bayly

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Did you guys end up with a White Christmas down there; or is it just a bit chillier than the normal great weather??
    Here in Bronte, Texas we did not have a white Christmas but there was snow in Lubbock, Amarillo, and northeast Texas around Greenville. My wife's niece sent some pics of her daughter playing in 4 to 6 inches of snow close to Greenville, Texas. I'm sure most of it is melted away by now. It's just a little cool here. 38 degrees at 11:30 AM is cooler than I normally ride in but it will probably be 50 before the day is over. I'm not as tough as you northerners who have antifreeze in your veins.

Cotton

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

27 here right now... The roads are covered with salt, so the Spyder remains happily tethered to it's Battery Tender!
    I just need to get my new GloRyders so that I can start getting the new farkles installed for next season!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    I bet they are a little weak with the added weight. I've had a few occasions to need to stop in a hurry and I wind up literally standing on the brake and it stops okay. But the Brembos on the BMW just stopped so quick and so controllably that they were just a pleasure to use. The only worry I had about stopping was riding 2 up and knowing that my wife would actually push me up onto the tank because there was no way she could stop herself from sliding forward. The Brembos aren't the whole story, though, because the additional 300 or so pounds between the Spyder RT and the R1100RT make a lot of difference but I agree that the Brembos are a welcome change.

Cotton

Spyder Garage

Default adapting to rides

Good question!
    The overall diameter of everything turns out to be the same, so that lack of a bit of a sidewall MIGHT make a difference in the ride...
    But I didn't feel it when I tested one; albeit on pretty decent roads...
    I'd call it a non-issue!
    I guess I am one of those people that just adapt to what I am riding, be it a two wheeler or spyder. Not sure if my senses would tell the difference with either wheel set-up. I guess I am one of the few that don't push the envolope on the machine therefore many of these differences wouldn't show up in the Preformace range of riding that I do. I will weigh in on the better brakes tho, I do travel a lot with trailer in tow and loaded. You won't forget but once when the trailer is there if you have to stop a little quicker than normal! Yep, I am sure the new brakes would help that considerably! Otherwise my riding style doesn't justify the expense of after market shocks, sway bars etc. (yes, the nanny has kicked in a few times but it's because I was trying to get to meet her).
    Happy Spyderlovers

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That's why it's best to weigh the perceived performance advantages od any new design against your own individual riding style...