Thread: HELMET CHOICE

Spyder Garage

Default HELMET CHOICE

OK, it's time to upgrade to a new helmet (after Christmas sales you know)... i like FULL FACE helmets, and i'm thinking of the new SHOEI MODULAR HELMET... my current helmet was gr8 until i put in the speakers for my SCALA G9... the speakers press up against my ears, and after a few hours it gets painful... does any1 have a MODULAR SHOEI with speakers in it...? also, is this helmet quiet, or do you get a lot of 'wind' noise...? HELP..! ! !

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Helmet

WE USE H J C FULL FACE WITH A RETRACTABLE SUN LENS AND A FULL CLEAR SHEILD. WE ALSO USE THE SCALA G9 POWERSET AND YOU CAN HEAR VERY WELL.THE NOISE LEVAL IS NOT TO BAD. THE BEST THING I LIKE OBOUT THIS HELMET IS IT TOOK ALL THE HEAD WEAVING OUT WHICH KEPT MY BODY FROM MOVING AROUND SO I DIDN'T OVER STEAR. ONE OTHER THING ABOUT THE HELMET IS THAT IF IT IS HOT YOU CAN RAISE THE JAW PART UP TO GIVE MORE AIR AND CAN RIDE THAT WAY WITH NO TROUBLE.
    Last edited by MIKIE & DEE; 12-22-2012 at 09:57 PM.

Spyder Garage

I have 2 Scorpion 900 convertables, they have a jaw that swings up and down for easy putting on and they come with a seperate brim with cheeks to change it to a 3/4 open face helmut. I am a 6 7/8" hat size and I have ear phones in each and I found that there is a break in period where they felt too tight but now feel right. They sport 3 vents and a built in sun visor so it can be worn year round.

Spyder Garage

I use FF GMax 68s for when its cold and an HJC 3/4 for most other times.
    WebBikeWorld has some good information on helmet fitment.
    Some styles are more oval than round so may fit different head shapes with different results.

Spyder Garage

We use the Nolan N-43 Trilogy (with removable chin guard) and the Scala G9. Nice helmets, great fit, with speaker cut outs already in place. Had to use glue plate for mounting the G9. The neck band is to thick for the clamp mount option.
    Last edited by mdale46; 12-23-2012 at 07:14 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPYD3R View Post
    OK, it's time to upgrade to a new helmet (after Christmas sales you know)... i like FULL FACE helmets, and i'm thinking of the new SHOEI MODULAR HELMET... my current helmet was gr8 until i put in the speakers for my SCALA G9... the speakers press up against my ears, and after a few hours it gets painful... does any1 have a MODULAR SHOEI with speakers in it...? also, is this helmet quiet, or do you get a lot of 'wind' noise...? HELP..! ! !

I got the SHOEI Neo tech modular this summer. It has recessed pockets for the speakers. I have the Scala G4 and it works fine on the Neo tech. It is pretty quiet with the vents closed, when open you get a little noise. It also features grooves for your eyeglasses so they aren't pressed against your head, a flip down sun shield that works great, a pinlock shield so there is no fogging on cooler days. The modular is great on hot days, it makes it so nice to be able to flip up the jaw piece to get a cool drink. I really like this helmet. Dennis

"Stupid is as Stupid does"
    Don't Drink and Drive or Ryde!
    Each Day is a Gift

Spyder Garage

Forget everything else...get a helmet that fits! That is consideration #1. Shoei is an excellent choice, but if it doesn't fit, it isn't worth anything. Helmets do vary in the size and shape of the ear pockets, wind noise, venting, and aerodynamics, and those things should be considered...but only after you are sure that make and model of helmet fits well enough to protect your noggin.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Default GR8

ALL GR8 ADVISE PEOPLE, THX.....
    Nancy, u have a point... a $1000 helmet that doesn't fit properly isn't worth a dime...
    thanks again everyone... i like that some have the 'speaker pocket' and 'eye glass relief' built-in...
    i'll be doing some shopping next week...

i'm heading out on my SPYD3R right now to meet BIG BIRD, it's 23 degrees and i'm ready to ryde....
    SAM_0318.jpg

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

More than half of the fun is in the shoppping anyway...

2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPYD3R View Post
    I have the Shoei neo tech also. I love this helmet very good air flow fits great and the flip up sun sheild is just plain cool. The speakers are recessed in so that they do not bother you. Like someone else said very quiet with a little more noise with all vents open.

Spyder Garage

Default Scorpion 900

I also have the Scorpion 900 Transformer. Best fitting helmet I've ever owned.
    J. D.
    2016 F3T Magnesium Metalic : Smooth Spyder Dual Backrest, Lamonster LED Head lights and Fog lights

Spyder Garage

Before you buy, check out Arai brand. Remember, you get what you pay for. And 90% of all helmets purchased are purchased incorrectly according to the proper size.

Spyder Garage

Wife & I have had two Nolan modulars in the past and liked them. We got Shoei Neotecs this time. I have about 10,000 miles on mine now and agree with all Ypilot & Ghall said. I liked the quick release on the Nolans rather than D rings on the Shoei. We have Scala Rider intercoms and the speakers fit nicely in the ear recesses. The anthracite color even looks pretty good with the Lava Bronze RT.

I also concur with proper fitting and encourage you to do this carefully. I have likely never before bought a helmet that fit properly, but this one does. The salesman cautioned me as I was trying them on that he would not sell me one if I could put it on without taking my glasses off--it would be too loose. So my wife and I each bought one a size smaller than we normally would have, and it was the right decision. It took a while for them to get broken in and more comfortable, but they are now comfortable and snug fitting. I have gotten to the point where I can now spread the bottom of the helmet and get it on over my glasses if I am careful.

Put something exciting between your legs--ride a Spyder!

Spyder Garage

Default GOOD INFO

WOW...! ! ! more GOOD INFORMATION....
    i'm getting a little confused, but CYCLE GEAR here in Greenville, SC is a gr8 place... their staff is very 'up to date' on all their mechandise, so i'll work with them on my new helmet... i've budgetted $500 for a new helmet, and i'll be VERY PICKY as to which one i buy... after all, that's alot of CA$H to spend, and i don't want the wrong one... again all, a big THANK YOU....
    013.jpg

Spyder Garage

Default Fairly new to this.....but.....my two cents worth

I personally like the HJC Line of 3/4 helmets with a sun-visor and face shield. Full Face Modular was just too tight for me to easily put on my glasses or to take them off. For what ever reason the HJC Line up never gave me much of a problem with the glasses. Check out the HJC IS-33 helmet.

Good luck---everyone has their opinions and feelings on helmets--but like my instructor said in my MSF class----the BEST HELMET is one YOU WILL WEAR! PERIOD!

Spyder Garage

Default Ear plugs also

I finally started wearing ear plugs several years ago after many years on motorcycles and lawn tractors. Too late to save good hearing, but not too late to keep it from getting worse. Harley guys with loud pipes will look at you funny when putting in ear plugs while riding a Gold Wing or Spyder, and I still feel a little self-conscious when putting them in, in public, but not enough to keep me from doing it. It's hard to convince some people of the value of ear plugs because of the slight inconvenience, but those who know will agree.

Besides saving your hearing, there are a couple of other advantages. It is so much more pleasant to ride without the noise. Double the advantage if you like to listen to music--you kill most of that road and wind noise and just turn up the music volume a little more to overcome the ear plugs--it's great. (But if you listen through your external speakers, remember when you hit town that everyone around will also be listening to your music!)

Contrary to what you might think, many helmets really do create a lot of wind noise and you don't realize it until you ride with ear plugs. I thought about adding this comment on ear plugs because I just now read a comment in Motorcycle Consumer News about how you can reduce helmet wind noise by wearing a bandanna around your neck. It's hard to evaluate a new helmet's wind noise potential since you probably can't take each one for a ride, but it won't be quite as important if you wear ear plugs.

Don't pooh-pooh this advice if you haven't tried it. And don't wait until your ears start ringing.

Put something exciting between your legs--ride a Spyder!

Spyder Garage

Get a helmet that fits most comfortably and is still secure on your head.

If you are concerned about wind noise, try ear plugs.
    You'd be surprised how quiet the ride is, and you can still hear all the important noises like horns and truck engines.
    Remarkably, the tunes sound much better as well. The speakers are closer to your ears than the surface of the helmet, so there is less attenuation of the sound and the music sounds much much better with ear plugs.

As always, my free advice comes with a double your money back guarantee
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I am also thinking about getting a modular helmet. I've been looking at the Shark, you can see a nice video about them at revzilla.com
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Default ALWAYS

I ALWAYS WEAR EAR PLUGS....
    at 65, with a history of alot of ROCK n ROLL, SHOOTING, and JET ENGINES... i've lost a certain amount of my hearing... and i also agree that ear plugs enhance the sound of my internal speakers when listening to MORE rock n roll... and YES, a scarf, bandana, neck wrap of some kind also helps to reduce the wind noise by blocking the wind from coming inside your helmet from below...
    many good points from all of you... keep those suggestions coming...
    thx
    SAM_0320.jpg

Spyder Garage

Default Helmet Choice

The Shoei Neo Tech will be my next helmet.
    Reese
    2010 RT-S SE5 Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

I usually wear a Bell Pit Boss, but bought a Shoei Neotech for cold weather riding. I tried on several different modulars, and ended up with the neotech.
    It boiled down to a choice between the Schuberth and the Shoei modulars.

This is my first modular, and don't have anything to compare it to. But so far, I'm very pleased. Very good quality, and comfortable.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Elembytes View Post
    I personally like the HJC Line of 3/4 helmets with a sun-visor and face shield. Full Face Modular was just too tight for me to easily put on my glasses or to take them off. For what ever reason the HJC Line up never gave me much of a problem with the glasses. Check out the HJC IS-33 helmet.

Good luck---everyone has their opinions and feelings on helmets--but like my instructor said in my MSF class----the BEST HELMET is one YOU WILL WEAR! PERIOD!

I have the HJC IS33 also and love it BUT since Their Production date is 2009 I am replacing it with this Bell Mag 9 which without the peak thingyy is just like it but produced in 2012!! I have 4 other helmets because there like shoes and a woman for me?

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Registered Users JJW SpyderRider's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Elembytes View Post

This is what I ended up with for a 3/4 helmet. I tried a dozen helmets and they just did not fit well and I was not able to get my glasses back on. It seems the front foam wraps around to the front so much that the ear piece can't slide by without making a big bend. This seemed to leave the glasses tilted at odd angles if I was able to force them on at all. I have a full face modular Z1R Eclipse for winter riding but it does not fit as tight as it should. I wear a baklava with it which snugs it up nice.

RT-S: HMT brake light, mud flap lights/turn signals, Trailer hitch, Garmin 660 GPS, Ride-On, Travel cover, LED Mirror turn signals, LED trunk lighting, RGB ground effect lighting, BajRon anti-sway bar, to be continued ......

Member of the WSR (Woodstock Spyder Riders)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JJW SpyderRider View Post
    This is what I ended up with for a 3/4 helmet. I tried a dozen helmets and they just did not fit well and I was not able to get my glasses back on. It seems the front foam wraps around to the front so much that the ear piece can't slide by without making a big bend. This seemed to leave the glasses tilted at odd angles if I was able to force them on at all. I have a full face modular Z1R Eclipse for winter riding but it does not fit as tight as it should. I wear a baklava with it which snugs it up nice.

a 'BACLAVA'... you put Greek Pastry in your helmet... GAWD, i'm dying laff'n here
    try a BALACLAVE next time, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balaclava_(clothing).... works much better and not as sticky....

Spyder Garage

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...T.ac=SLIsearch

Great Warm Balaclava- Tried and tested!!!!

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!