Spyder Garage

Default OREGON BOUND Thursday

Who said it never rains in California?? WELL they are wrong!

both Wed and Thurs I ran into scattered showers nothing serious enough to mention.

BUT

Thursday Eureka, Cal, I woke to moderately heavy rain rain rain so went out for breakfast then back to the hotel room to wait out the (what I thought was only a shower) rain.... 8:00 AM ~ ~ ~ 9:00 AM ~ ~ ~ 10:00 AM Forget this, I am not paying to sit here another day!! packed up and off I went. The Thurmal Ski Suit I bought in Park City worked very well for an hour. Then the water started seeping in the crotch, then neck line, and too late for the shoes and socks.
    Only a few miles down the road after leaving Eureka and I could feel yesterdays ryde through the twisties on 101 (arm hurt). RAIN keep coming down mile after mile, an hour and half down the road I stop and ask where I can change cloths.... 3 stops and 15 miles later I find a hotel that is acturally open. I use the large office bathroom to change cloths. Finding dry cloths in my suit case was difficult at best. Heavy wool socks and cotton socks over with a plastic bag then shoes, long johns. one large plastic bag full of wet cloths into one saddle bag the other was rearranged and filled. My suit case was double plastic bagged and tied to the Spyder with my now empty gas container. OH by the way, my $15 dollar pay to go phone in my jacket pocket was in 1/2" of water....... HHHUUMMMM now it does not work.

A quick lunch of New England Clam Chowder in a bread bowl and off again Bound for Oregon 10 miles away. Another 10 miles of rain and snow it finally stoped. Over the southern pass I went some 2,000 foot elevation I hit snow larger than Silver Dollars sticking to my helmet visor.

This time I had on a Parka Style Rain Cover made for scooters. The mirrow slots did not work on the Spyder so I puty my hands through and tucked the front of the Parka under the seat to keep my crotch dry and sat on the back

half.

Along the way I found a woman on the side of a road in some villiage selling fresh Raw Honey. I stopped and chatted for 30 minutes (rest stop) or so and bought 8 small bottles of Honey and 4 Bee Wax candles for X~Mas presents. WHAT A TREAT!!

Back on the road and one more fuel stop 75 miiles before I make it to Florence. By this time the Rain Parka was torn to shreds from 60 MPH speeds.... I hope no rain for the last leg...

I arrived in Florence OR just after 7:00 PM very exhausted and for the most part dry !!

Next stop Salem for family and Vancouver for a Spyder Check~Up.
    Last edited by MrLooney; 12-21-2012 at 05:01 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've been reading all your posts as you travel along. I admire your adventurous spirit. If it was me, I'd have stay in Eureka till it stopped raining. Happily, you're on the last stretch. I just hope you don't get sick for all the exposure to the bad weather.

Take care of yourself. And as soon as you can please post some pics.

Patti
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Post Mrlooney

You certainally have more courage than most of us and I commend you for that. I have been reading your post each day with interest and admire you for what you are doing. I have been in Florence and up the coast thru Crater Lake then to the Newport Beach area. It is a beautiful ride to say the least.
    Please stay safe and enjoy the rest of your ride.
    Have a great Christmas.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Glad you're safe and you're is holding up. This is really wonderful sharing your trip is priceless. God bless you and Merry Christmas and a very prosperous and adventurous new year.
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

...in the pink (Girls On Spyders) flamingobabe's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

MrLooney..love your stories...thanks for putting a smile on my face every time I read your post....I will ride again...just got to get the mom's well...enjoy family and holidays...till we meet..........thCANMWHF0.jpg

#IamARyder #RideASpyder #CanAmSpyder

Spyder Garage

You are a brave soul

I am also enjoying reading your posts. Keep us updated. Have a merry Christmas.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Welcome to Salem

Wooo There is someone else who knows where Salem Oregon is? /what an exciting ride you have had. Having just purchased mine this summer, I am not prepared to ride in that bad weather yet.(no winter clothes) If you have time give me a call --Walt @ 503-871-0301 and we might share a lunch or coffee. Glad to meet another spyder rider. Not many of us here or they are all hiding.
    2012 RT SE Viper Red
    BRP Trailer hitch, Garmin 660 GPS, Stainless Grills, IPS, Utopia backrest, Original Grip Buddies, Shorty antenna, Spyderpops radiator block off, cat shield and Bump Skid, Street Magic Magicflex channelz, Chrome Mirror covers, LED turn indicators on Mirrors, LED rear cargo light, Top rear Break Light Seal Style Floor Boards, Day Runner Lights

Spyder Garage

Mr Looney,

Your Journey log has been very enjoying to read and I have to say you are braver than most of us here in the Pacific northwest during this time of the year. With the weather always changing from rain to snow and maybe a sun break or two. Well have a safe journey and have happy and safe holiday season.....

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

WOW ! What a trip. I read somewhere that the difference between an adventure and a disaster was attitude. You certainly have the right attitude.

I'm enjoying your posts. Stay safe.

Cotton

Spyder Garage

I won't say that I told you so, but……… ryde safe (the weather won't be any better up here)
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member