Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    That's a direct replacement?? Thanks for this info!
    Yup, tossed the old gas cap out, screwed the new one on.

Quote Originally Posted by eddieshep999 View Post
    Do you know or can confirm this is the one you quote and it will fit a Can-Am Spyder RT 2010 Model

Details taken from e bay :-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Can-Am-New...hash=item2ebbb

Thanks

Eddie Sheppard
    Reading UK
    Can't say for sure. Mine's not a locking cap. Try Googling Can Am dealerships, they have the non-locking ones.

Maybe someone knows about the locking gas caps?

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    The BRP engineers at Spyderfest suggested this to me. My cap - leaked - actually gushed fuel - after a stop on my way to Spyderfest.
    I was on the road to Durango when my gas cap started not being screwed on when I got gas. Would ratchet it down, take off, next fuel stop the cap would be almost off again. By the time I got to Durango, my left boot stank of gas.

Oh, yeah, Spydee was acting up too. Got to my room in Durango, met Mike (I don't remember his SL name, real nice guy!), and he started pulling panels off to see what's going on.

Turns out I not only had a leaking gas cap, but an arcing plug wire. That was a scary ride down to the BRP tent.

They gave me a new gas cap off a demo and replaced a plug wire.

Harvey told me about the Commander gas cap, bought one when I got back home.

And I do believe in Guardian Angels...
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

GOS Founding Member (Girls On Spyders)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MouthPiece View Post
    Just out of curiosity I wonder if this is related in any way to the explosion that took place at the BRP plant/research and development. I haven't heard anymore about that incident.

On good authority - in no way related.

GOS Founding Member (Girls On Spyders)

Spyder Garage

The recall will affect all Spyder models (not just in Canada as the link suggests) except 2013 and the gas cap will be sent directly to the owners. Your dealers may not even know about it yet since it's not going through them at all. As someone pointed out, you just throw away the old one and put on the new one.

I'm sure more details will be forthcoming soon, but wanted to share the little bit I know about it.
    Last edited by FaranH; 12-20-2012 at 08:49 PM.

Spyder Garage

From what I was told by BRP, they will be sending out replacement fuel caps to all Canadian and USA registered owners of Can-Am Spyder Roadsters. Starting in January 2013 and over the following 4 to 8 weeks, BRP will be sending to all known registered owners a Safety Recall package that will include a letter and an improved fuel cap for them to install.

The shipping will be prioritized according to seasonality.

A postage free return card will also be included in the Safety Recall package for customers that no longer own the vehicle or if the owner's information in the notice is incorrect.

As usual, BRP will inform the dealer network with the bulletins that will give all the details and guidelines to support us.

Spyder Garage

Default Fuel Vapor Leak Fire Risk Recall on Can-Am Spyders

+Here's some media on the developing recall.

A current fuel vapor leak recall (Canada) was referenced in a 12/18/12 Motorcycle.com article,
    "2008-2012 Can-Am Spyders Recalled for Fire Risk",
    BY Dennis Chung.

"Bombardier Recreational Products has initiated two recalls in Canada on Can-Am Spyder Roadsters for a risk of fire due to a leaky gas cap. One recall covers certain units from model years 2008-2012, which covers all prior model years since the three-wheeler was first introduced in 2008. The second recall applies to model years 2008-2010."

"As of publication of this post, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has not issued a recall for the U.S. A search of the NHTSA database however reveals several complaints of fuel odors and Spyders catching fire."

+The information has now been updated, and the recall expanded to the United States.

"A pair of recalls for fuel vapor leaks on Can-Am Spyder roadsters has expanded to the U.S. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, one recall affects 9,600 units from model years 2008-2010 while the second, larger recall affects 33,700 from model years 2008-2012. An earlier recalls from Transport Canada affects 9400 units for the a fuel cap issue and 2,431 units for a fuel vapor canister vent hose issue."

"The smaller recall (NHTSA campaign ID #12V581000) applies to Can-Am Spyder GS units from model years 2008 and 2009 as well as a limited quantity of 2010 Can-Am Spyder RS units. According to documents released by NHTSA, fuel vapors may escape from the fuel vapor canister vent hose within the engine compartment. In the presence of an ignition source, the vapors may ignite, resulting in a fire."

"The larger recall (NHTSA campaign ID #12V582000) applies to Spyder GS models from model years 2008-2009, Spyder RS models from 2009-2012 and Spyder RT models from 2010-2012. According to the recall documents, the fuel cap on the affected units may not properly form a seal with the fuel tank filler neck. Fuel vapors may thus escape from the fuel cap, also creating a fire risk."

"In February 2012, BRP confirmed the fuel vapor canister vent hoses and fuel caps may be a potential source of some of the reported fires. BRP concluded its investigation on Dec. 4 and determined there was an unreasonable risk of harm and initiated the recalls..."

Read the full 12/20/12 Motorcycle.com update article,
    "2008-2012 Can-Am Spyder Fuel Vapor Leak Recalls Expands to US",
    BY Dennis Chung,
    here:

http://blog.motorcycle.com/2012/12/2...expands-to-us/

View the earlier 12/18/12 article here:
    http://blog.motorcycle.com/2012/12/1...for-fire-risk/

Ride on.
    Roadkill

Spyder Garage

Further down in the first article is a link to the U.S. recall:

http://blog.motorcycle.com/2012/12/2...expands-to-us/

Looks like there are GS/RS's and RT's in the US recall.
    2008 GS Phantom, 2012 RT Limited
    Cheryl Reinhart Ragsdale

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Yazz View Post
    If anyone has concerns about the integrity of your gas cap, get a Can Am Commander gas cap. It has a more robust ratcheting system and seal.

It doesn't cost alot and is peace of mind.
    I've heard that the Commander gas cap is better too but at this point, the recommendation from BRP is very clear and simple. You will need to install the new and improved fuel cap that will be mailed to you and discard any other caps you might have on your unit or kept in your garage.

The new fuel cap new will be easy to distinguish from the color of the seal and the size of the handle.

The solution from BRP in this safety recall is the only solution to consider. Dealers will be asked to change the caps on the unsold units for the same cap that will be shipped to customers.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by xpbqn View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by xpbqn View Post
    Here it is, already in the NHTSA website:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/recalls...intVersion=YES

Appreciate iate the posts. Thanks!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    I've heard that the Commander gas cap is better too but at this point, the recommendation from BRP is very clear and simple. You will need to install the new and improved fuel cap that will be mailed to you and discard any other caps you might have on your unit or kept in your garage.

The new fuel cap new will be easy to distinguish from the color of the seal and the size of the handle.

The solution from BRP in this safety recall is the only solution to consider. Dealers will be asked to change the caps on the unsold units for the same cap that will be shipped to customers.
    Thanks for the clear and informative post, Lamont!

Very Active Member eddieshep999's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

For the Fuel Cap Safety Recall details also see this thread

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ap-Replacement

Eddie Sheppard
    Reading UK

Very Active Member bodymanpainter's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

So, that was probably the gas smell I was smelling on my wife's 08 GS before we
    traded it. We noticed it most of the time and at times it was very strong and we could
    even notice it driving at interstate speeds and the bike didn't run all that great at
    times and the dealer never could locate the problem after two weeks in the shop
    so we traded it. We had all the latest updates and regular services also.
    We liked both of our Spyders but just got tired of all the problems and down time
    as we both ride almost everyday.
    May be we will come back to Spyder some day but not just now.
    2020 RTL

Spyder Garage

Default Letter from Valcourt

I got the letter re. the fire risk recall 3 days ago. Replacement gas cap is on the way via mail (no need for a trip to the dealer). We shall see.
    2014 RT Ltd Cognac, many farkles, many smiles, many miles

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rgscms View Post
    I got the letter re. the fire risk recall 3 days ago. Replacement gas cap is on the way via mail (no need for a trip to the dealer). We shall see.
    Stopped by my dealer today and it appears my vin is not among the list of affected spyders. However I was left with the impression ALL Spyders were affected. I did not get receive a letter (too early), but think I will call BRP to be sure.

Cheers all.

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator docdoru's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Mayan's New Age and Spiritual Transformation would mark the beginning of the Truth about the Fires...
    2013 "Silver Dream" GG Taurus
    2008 "Silver Dream" Spyder RS
    Einstein's theory of drag racing: Time and Speed are Relative.
    Shut up and Race!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by groundeffect View Post
    Stopped by my dealer today and it appears my vin is not among the list of affected spyders. However I was left with the impression ALL Spyders were affected. I did not get receive a letter (too early), but think I will call BRP to be sure.

Cheers all.
    We had the same issue with the reverse soleniod on the 011RT. VIN was not in the recall, but the soleniod was not working... It was replaced but dealer dragged their feet for a few days..