Spyder Garage

Default My Experience with Motorsports Superstore in Hamilton, AL

I bought my new 2012 RT-S SE5 about 2 weeks ago from a dealer in Kodak, TN. I tried to buy one from Big Number 1 in Birmingham but they weren't very willing to negotiate plus they bluntly informed me that if I bought a Spyder somewhere else, that I would be treated as a second class customer if I tried to bring it to them for service. No worries Big Number 1, I will never darken yours doors ever again.

Big Number 1 is 49 miles from where I live. Motorsports Superstore in Hamilton, AL is 118 miles from where I live. After Big #1 quoted a price of $408 plus fees plus tax for the 600 mile service on my Spyder, I called Motorsports Superstore and they said it would be about $200 plus tax. I made an appointment for 9 am this morning. I got up at 5:30am this morning, had breakfast, dressed warm, donned my gear and rode 2 hours in 37 degree foggy weather to Hamilton, AL. I pulled into the parking lot with 618 miles on the odometer. Once inside, Chet in the service department took my Spyder right in. He never asked where I bought it, only verified what all I wanted done and/or looked at.

I explained that I needed the 600 mile service, that I wanted the new longer transmission filter, that I wanted the new access cover, that I had an issue every now and then with the bike dying at idle and did he know anything about disconnecting the analog gauges so the digital ones would show up on the computer display. He said "no problem" and I was directed to a waiting room. 2 hours later, Chet pulls my bike up front and tells me it is ready to go.

He said they did the 600 mile service and installed the new, longer filter. They found that the dipstick cap wasn't threaded quite right from the factory and that he would be ordering a new oil tank and dipstick to be put on in the future at no cost to me. He removed the original access cover and replaced it with the new kind and asked if I wanted the old one. I said yes, but it was too big for me to carry on the bike so they offered to ship it to me for just the cost of postage (which was $9.95). Awesome! They disconnected the analog gauges for me and reset the computer, to update the display and to address the random stalling at idle issue. I bought an extra quart of oil, just in case I ever need to add any. My out-the-door price for my visit was $236.70.

I thanked them for how well they treated me and they would certainly be seeing me again for any future service and/or purchases. Thankfully, my next service trip will be when the weather is warmer!

Motorsports Superstore, you have my thanks and with that comes my dollars.

2012 Can Am Spyder RT-S SE5, Pure Magnesium
    www.JerryandCynthia.com - Our Riding Adventures

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I'm new to this forum and haven't purchased a spyder as of yet I live in Tuscaloosa, but Big # 1 must have thought I fell off the back of a truck somewhere. Priced out a 13 ST-S with all my extra accessories that I wanted installed for around 27K out the door...... talked to Steve at Halls in Mobile 24K think I'll be riding in a few weeks.

Spyder Garage

Default Good to hunt..!!

glad you checked about. There are always some that want to take advantage. Good luck and hope to see pic's soon...!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

It is always nice to hear about a dealer that treats their customers right.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    It is always nice to hear about a dealer that treats their customers right.
    Yup we tend to remember the negative and forget all the positives.................. another happy owner/ dealer interaction, this could be contagious?
    2011 RTS SM5

Spyder Garage

That's not too good of news that Big #1 MS would treat a customer like that, it sounds like they are getting ti BIG for their britches! Good on getting great service at this other dealer.

Spyder Garage

Some dealers just don't get it when it comes to customer service. Thank's for posting about the good and the bad. The odd part to me--I believe a dealer makes more on accessories and service than they do with the initial profit on the sale of the new . It would seem important to me, to go for the business "after the sale". That's their bread and butter for staying in business. Dealers that try to "punish" you for not letting them make a "killing" on the original sale--can go you know where.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default If it feels good.

took a fellow Spyder Ryder to my dealer after a lunch meeting to introduce him to the staff. He rode home three hours later with a new HMT and a big thank you for the good service.

Some dealers just don't understand that you cannot tick the customer off and dealers like mine continue to steal them away with a friendly smile, a cheerful good morning, a won't you have a cup of coffee on us attitude .

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Ledford View Post
    Some dealers just don't understand that you cannot tick the customer off and dealers like mine continue to steal them away with a friendly smile, a cheerful good morning, a won't you have a cup of coffee on us attitude .
    I have a theory on service repair facilities............for every customer they loose another shop is doing the exact same thing across town. So the customer that is angry at them goes to the other shop and the one that is angry at the other shop comes to them. Net effect zero.............Its kind of like brand loyalty GM, Ford, Chrysler, Nissan etc...........just "trading" customers constantly, net effect zero? This theory is confirmed even more so when you read the number of people that will say "so and so is an idiot" yet another person will say they are the "greatest thing since sliced bread"?
    2011 RTS SM5

Spyder Garage

The Hamilton dealer treated us right and is ordering us a set of tires based solely on our telephoned description of pour vibration problem. We highly recommend Donny as salesman and all OF THE hAMILTON, al STAFF.
    3:16