GOS member (Girls On Spyders) CSW61's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default 2010 RT and the throttle seems to be sticking

Ok I have a question for all you wrench gurus. My wife has a 2010 RT and the throttle seems to be sticking. It feels like it is rubbing something. You can reproduce even without it running. I have removed the grip buddies and have tried everything I can think of. I will say the only thing we have had done since this started was new plugs and wires and I had them done at a shop, not me. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. And we did have the throttle body recall done at Spyderfest 2012.

2018 RT Limited , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

If I'm rite the throttle body is electronic not cables. It may b in the hand censer probably can be fixed by the screws that holds it together, let us know what you find out. good luck
    my wife and I on our 2011 spyder-rt-L'IL Red

Spyder Garage

Will do. May take the throttle grip loose and look.... Thought I would get some more ideas before I did someting stupid...

Spyder Garage

Try just loosen them a little at a time first. I truly hope I didn't give u bad advice?
    my wife and I on our 2011 spyder-rt-L'IL Red

Spyder Garage

Ok I loosened the throttle Grip about 2 ˝ turns on all 4 hex bolts. Still sticking but I again can reproduce even without it running and I listened this time and it does sounds like it is in the housing with the start button. Just wandering anything to lube or what is the consequence of somebody like me taking this apart? Any springs going to explode when I take the back off?

Very Active Member eddieshep999's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CSW61 View Post
    Ok I loosened the throttle Grip about 2 ˝ turns on all 4 hex bolts. Still sticking but I again can reproduce even without it running and I listened this time and it does sounds like it is in the housing with the start button. Just wandering anything to lube or what is the consequence of somebody like me taking this apart? Any springs going to explode when I take the back off?

This is just some general adivce passed on to me - If you are going to take something apart like handlebar switches which will more than likely have very small springs in them - Place a clear plastic bag over them first, then take them apart - any small Screws, Springs and other components will be caught in the plastic bag and should not be lost

Eddie Sheppard
    Reading UK
    Last edited by eddieshep999; 12-18-2012 at 05:20 AM.

Spyder Garage

Sounds like you shoved the grip to far when you installed the grip buddies. Try pulling the grip back, there should be a space between the grip and the switch housing.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    Sounds like you shoved the grip to far when you installed the grip buddies. Try pulling the grip back, there should be a space between the grip and the switch housing.

I will check that this morning.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

(I'm betting that's the culprit) Good Luck!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Did you notice this issue after the grip buddies were installed? If so, I would check Lamonster advice. Good luck. When everything fail Take her to the dealer expert.
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Spyder Garage

Default 2010 RT and the throttle seems to be sticking

And Bob knows culprits

Sent by morse code from a hidden bunker
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jerpinoy View Post
    Did you notice this issue after the grip buddies were installed? If so, I would check Lamonster advice. Good luck. When everything fail Take her to the dealer expert.

yes have had the grip buddies on for over a year. It started this after I rode it a couple hundred miles I was wandering if I had used the grips to hang on to as I got on and off I may have pulled or pushed the grips. I am going to check on this later today. I already know it is my fault, even though I was taking it to get serviced for her....

Spyder Garage

Ok took my wife’s RT to CowTown and this is what they found. We had a Bulter Cup holder put on last year at Spyderfest and over time it had migrated toward the throttle housing and was pushing on it with enough pressure to cause the throttle to stick. The Tech at Cowtown went to pull the housing off the throttle housing and could not remove it until he loosened the cup holder and it relieved the pressure everything started working. So from now on I will occasionally check to ensure that there is a gap between the cup holder and throttle housing.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Sounds like you have your problem solved and as to anyone wanting a cheap mod for cruze control just add a cup holder and you and your drink are good to go.

Spyder Garage

You are right.... Got to a point that it would stay where ever you put it. The more I worked on it the worse it got.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Glad to hear that this mystery has been solved...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

My 010 RT-S is in the shop right now for the same problem. Butler cup holder has been on 7,8 months now. My throttle was changed in October and the throttle started sticking 2 weeks ago. I beleave it's wire in the grip. Well see tomorrow.
    Steve