GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Spyder Smyles's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Cornering Tips for a Newbie

I am a newbie to the Spyder world and looking for some cornering techniques that will help me adjust from my 1800 Goldwing to my first spyder a, 2013 RT-S SE5 Yellow Spyder which should be arriving within the next 2 weeks. I am so excited to get on it and go but would like a little guidance to help with the transition.

Any pointers, recommendations of websites or reading material would be greatly appreicated.

Thanks

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder Smyles View Post
    I am a newbie to the Spyder world and looking for some cornering techniques that will help me adjust from my 1800 Goldwing to my first spyder a, 2013 RT-S SE5 Yellow Spyder which should be arriving within the next 2 weeks. I am so excited to get on it and go but would like a little guidance to help with the transition.

Any pointers, recommendations of websites or reading material would be greatly appreicated.

Thanks
    You should get a DVD in the packet with your owners manual. It has quite a bit of good stuff on there. I'll let some of the motorcycle owners chime in, as I had about 30 years between my last MC, and the Spyder, but since there is no leaning to it at all, I found that "planting" my outside foot in a turn is great to compensate for the feeling that you want to fly off. If in a hard enough turn, I sometimes notice my inside foot is no longer on the peg.

Oh.. By the way... Welcome to Spyderlovers!

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Phyxius's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Welcome to Spyders! You'll love it!

First up check out this thread: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-Spyder-owners

As for cornering each person develops there own style, I guess. What I see posted most often and works for me is this:

For sharp twisty turns -

Before the turn, make sure you're in a low enough gear to allow acceleration. Slow, look, push and roll still applies except it's more like slow, look turn and roll. Outside, inside, outside still applies but it will feel weird the first view times, you're much wider on a spyder. Going through the turn with enough speed and in a low enough gear to allow you accelerate through will make you happy.

1) lean slightly forward and towards the turn. (This is the biggest dispute you'll see. Try leaning then try not leaning and decide what works best for you.)
    - Leaning on the spyder will feel different. When riding a two wheel it leans and you do not feel g-forces. The spyder does not lean, so similar to a car you will feel a g-force pushing you to the outside of the turn. Leaning in will counteract that.
    2) Use thighs/knees for grip, don't try to hold yourself with your hands, the steering is sensitive and you'll get jerky movement.
    3) So, keep a light grip, steer in the direction of travel, no countersteering on a spyder!
    4) Push your outside foot into the footpeg

Before the ride, check your shock settings and tire pressure. You'll see more info on that in the dos and do nots thread. Most riders like more air than factory suggestions and stiffer shock settings for better handling.

So, have fun and try out a couple different methods and choose what works for you.
    -Christina
    2012 RT-S Blue
    Photographer and horse rider.
    2012 RT , Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

on joining in on the fun!
    Do you have any experience on ATVs or snowmobiles? The Spyders actually feel quite a bit like they do when cornering. Lean forward and to the inside of the curve. Get your inside knee up against the tank pad and just take your time getting used to the new sensations...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

There are two major differences in cornering on the Spyder vs cornering on a Goldwing, or any other two-wheeler.

1. The Spyder does not lean, so do NOT use counter-steering, as you would on the Goldwing. You must steer in the direction you want to go, not the opposite direction like on a two-wheeler. This is critical. If you already have experience with a four-wheeler, you shouldn't have any trouble with this.

2. Begin your steering input for corners when you actually want to start turning. On a two-wheeler, you really input slightly before the turn to give the bike enough time to lean and then begin to turn. I found on the Spyder that I had to wait a touch longer before starting the steering input than I do on my Goldwing.

Enjoy your new Spyder!

Merry Christmas!
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332
    '01 Black GL1800A Goldwing #0930

"Remember in the darkness what you have learned in the light." - Joe Bayly

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MarkLawson View Post

Enjoy your new Spyder!

Merry Christmas!
    That's right! How could I forget to mention how much cooler your Christmas Wish-Lists will be from now on?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) CSW61's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The good thing about it is they offer as much 'Bling' for the Sypder as the Gold Wing. I know We have both.

2018 RT Limited , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Make sure it's the knuckles on the hand that is on the inside of the turn.

Spyder Garage

All good advice here. Remember, you steer a Spyder completely through the turn, instead of countersteering to initiate the turn. Also remember that the Spyder steering is quite sensitive. It takes a beginner some concentrated effort not to overcontrol...especially on the straights. Finall, after you watch the DVD and/or read the skills course in your manual, plan to spend several days in an empty parking lot running the skills course. That is the best way to get the hang of the steering, and also the emergency maneuvers, the nanny, and the forces acting on your body. When you are comfortable, you can hit the road with far more confidence than you would have had otherwise. I still do a session of parking lot practice periodically, just to keep my skills up...especially after a winter layoff. Get some soccer cones or cut some tennis balls in half and have at it. BTW, you can find the DVD videos on YouTube and the manual can be downloaded at the BRP site, if you want to get a head start.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Some of your present 2-wheeler skills still apply.

Turn your head as far into the turn as you can see. Not just your eyes, point your nose as far into the turn as possible.

Brake, downshift, roll back on the throttle slightly (This stabilizes the suspension), turn your head, steer, and enjoy
    All the posts were spot-on.

I had about 4000 miles on my 1st Spyder before I discovered Spyderlovers. Wish I had found it sooner for the great advice found here.

Spyder Garage

Lots of good advice given already. For the first few hundred miles and at every tight corner, I questioned my judgement on trading my 2-wheeler for the Spyder. But with each passing mile I got more comfortable. Ask me today and I'll tell you that I wouldn't trade back. So follow the advice given and soon everything will feel natural.

Bernie
    --
    RT-S (Blue) with Power Sports Wrap Racing Stripes
    BajaRon's Sway Bar
    Kewl Metal Gizmo Mount
    Rivco Flag Mounts
    NBV Highway Pegs

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

All the best tips and advice are here. Take your time and feel your
    pay attention. Do not do what others did, like trying to ride theirlike a rocket mc. Just don't forget that you haveand not a CBR, BMW, NINJA, 1198, certainly not HAYABUSA. Enjoy your ride safe and god bless us all
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Spyder Garage

The previous posters have you pretty much covered. RE: overcontrolling--apply as little pressure to the bars as possible when making your turns. Pretend there is a bird or an egg between your hands and the bars. Don't break the egg or hurt the bird. Some people use a push/pull on the bars. The information about speed is also good. Enter the turn at such a speed so that you can accelerate through the turn slightly--if you have to brake during the turn, you are going to fast.

It all gets easier with practice. Coming off a motorcycle, it took me about 1500 miles before I was comfortable with the handling.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Spyder Smyles's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Thanks

Thanks to everyone for all of the great information. I have downloaded the 2013 Owners manual and plan to read through it tonight.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    All good advice here. Remember, you steer a Spyder completely through the turn, instead of countersteering to initiate the turn. Also remember that the Spyder steering is quite sensitive. It takes a beginner some concentrated effort not to overcontrol...especially on the straights. Finall, after you watch the DVD and/or read the skills course in your manual, plan to spend several days in an empty parking lot running the skills course. That is the best way to get the hang of the steering, and also the emergency maneuvers, the nanny, and the forces acting on your body. When you are comfortable, you can hit the road with far more confidence than you would have had otherwise. I still do a session of parking lot practice periodically, just to keep my skills up...especially after a winter layoff. Get some soccer cones or cut some tennis balls in half and have at it. BTW, you can find the DVD videos on YouTube and the manual can be downloaded at the BRP site, if you want to get a head start.
    , I watched the videos numerous times and practiced a lot in a empty parking lot. The Spyder is also my first motorcycle and I have been riding for about 16 months now. I still go back and peridoically watch the videos and practice.

Merry Christmas and enjoy your new present.
    [B]

2018 Intense Red F3T (See About Me under My Profile for mods)
    2010 Timeless Black RT-622 Trailer
    2014 Timeless Black RTS-SE6, 34,300 Miles, traded May 2019
    2011 Timeless Black RTS-SE5, 15,180 Miles, traded April 2014

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I'm new to this too. It took awhile for my hands to quit arguing with each other when entering turns. Lately I've noticed that I'm most comfortable when my body leans about the same amount as the two wheelers I'm riding with lean their bikes.

Spyder Garage

My two cents worth....I pull on the inside grip rather than push with out side hand, the pulling action moves my body forward and into the turn, push down on outside foot and push on spyder with inside knee. These actions can be slight or quite aggressive depending on speed and the turn you executing. Let the steering do the work the back wheel will follow the direction of the front wheels. I also like to accelerate on straightening the steering exiting the turn, ever so slightly, it helps to straighten the spyder. And as everyone here has said......soft touch mate she does not like a heavy hand on the bars. Let her flow and bob and weave.....makes her very happy. Reminds me of Mohammed Ali.....floats like a butterfly stings like a bee. Enjoy the ride.....

Spyder Garage

Like someone already said, set up a course in an empty parking lot and practice, practice and more practice of the basics. Then, you can add in all the pushing, pulling, and squeezing techniques mentioned.

It does get a little confusing if you try to incorporate every bit of instruction given all at once. Just take the curves/corners slow while you are learning the basics. JMO

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder Smyles View Post

Thanks
    The best advice is to "Ride It" . It takes about 500 miles worth of seat time to get really comfortable. After that your home free.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default cornering with a spyder

I know a lot of you will say it is in my head and you are probably right. I have no problem making a tight right turn or a long right turn but when it comes to a left turn, I just can't make the turn as good as when the turn is to the right. I have tried everything but I still have to slow down. Any advise would be helpful. A little cold right now to try your suggestions, but spring is right around the corner, sooner or later.

Spyder Garage

You guys are right handers, right? I have similar experience, turning left in the direction of the road camber is a breeze, but right up against the camber is always slower for me. A perfect flat road....no problem but the slightest camber and i take the right handers slower. So for u right handers it will mean turning up against the camber when you turn left. Could it be that the centrifugal force is exaggerated by the camber leaving u feel unstable?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by arris View Post
    I know a lot of you will say it is in my head and you are probably right. I have no problem making a tight right turn or a long right turn but when it comes to a left turn, I just can't make the turn as good as when the turn is to the right. I have tried everything but I still have to slow down. Any advise would be helpful. A little cold right now to try your suggestions, but spring is right around the corner, sooner or later.
    The problem with left hand turns may be the camber of the road. The cuve tilts the way the Spyder wants to sway, to the right. It can be an uncomfortable feeling.

Have you tightened up your shocks?

Also, try shifting your weight to the inside of the curve to counteract the feeling of swaying to the outside of the curve.

The more miles you put on the Spyder, the more comfortable you will become.
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Spyder Garage

old thread, great advice.

Spyder Garage

http://ps3.gamespy.com/playstation-3...e/page_13.html

Gran Tourismo is the way I learned how to drive, and I have always been looking for the training tools they use. this link is one of them.
    RS - 55K+ miles, F3 - 200 miles and counting.

Spyder Garage

Another thing to go out to a vacant parking lot and practice is hard braking. You want to learn what the anti-lock brakes feel like when they do their thing. They will stop your Spyder FAST! When you do it, don't lock your arms, because you want to maintain the ability to steer, and grip the Spyder hard, with your thighs, so you don't kiss the windshield!

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)