Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Increased deaths in TN

The number of motorcyclists killed has surged this year. The Tennessee Department of Safety and Homeland Security says 133 people had died in motorcycle crashes by Tuesday compared to 114 for all of 2011.

More bikes, less brains maybe???

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Daisyjoe View Post
    The number of motorcyclists killed has surged this year. The Tennessee Department of Safety and Homeland Security says 133 people had died in motorcycle crashes by Tuesday compared to 114 for all of 2011.

No. More new riders with out training.

Mike

Spyder Garage

Although I don't know the numbers here in Flarda, the newspaper does seem to have a lot more reports of MC deaths here. Perhaps it catches my eye more since my accident. As for the reason? I'll put my money on texting. (not the motorcycler).

Chris

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MouthPiece View Post
    Although I don't know the numbers here in Flarda, the newspaper does seem to have a lot more reports of MC deaths here. Perhaps it catches my eye more since my accident. As for the reason? I'll put my money on texting. (not the motorcycler).

Chris

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Is that number the only fact reported? Does Tennessee have more riders that are riding more miles?? An increased exposure to losses my well be the other side of this coin...
    But it IS a darn shame!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Too many pretty things to look at in Tennessee and lots of twisty roads. We have lived and ridden in California, Texas and now east Tennessee and we stop riding on Thanksgiving and start up again Jan 1. Seems like from Thanksgiving on everyone is focused on shopping and holiday stuff and not motorcycles. Ride safe.
    Never accept "no" from someone who does not have the authority to say "yes".

Spyder Garage

What is the ratio between number of deaths and registered M/'C ? Who is at fault in the crashs ?" this should for the years being talked about.
    Training and knowledge do make a big difference. I am amazed at the ?"knowledge" some riders have. If you touch the front brake, you will fly over the handlebars. Buy the cheapest tires you can, they are all the same. Controlled braking is a joke, just lay it down. A bald tire is just like a racing tire. ABS does not work anytime. Among others on here.
    The worse "knowledge" I ever heard was from a car diver, ABS is great, I use it several times a day. What to ride with him?"
    A history note. A guy rode his HD to work, but asked me if it made a difference if the bike had a radial on the front and a bais ply on the back. It handled kind of funny on the way in. I firmly suggest he push it on a trailer and take it someplace for the same kind of tires.
    Oldmanzues
    Added. What is a M/C in TN?" There was a person killed here not to long ago on a "auto parts special, in the paper as a M/'C.
    Last edited by Oldmanzues; 12-09-2012 at 10:29 AM. Reason: added stuff
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

Default Increased deaths in TN

From my experience last July during a week of on and off rain it's the cagers who refuse to adjust their driving habits according to weather conditions. Happy to have survived that vacation.
    2011 Pearl White RT Limited
    HMT Brake Light, Fender Tips Kit, Mudflap Lights, GloRyders, Seal Floorboards, Powerlet 12V, Garage Door Momentary Button, Bump Skid, Elka's Stage 1, Ultimate Sea, Air Wings

Member of the Woodstock Spyder Ryders (Illinois)

Spyder Garage

If you haven't already next time you are out riding look into the car next you and then count how many drivers are on cell phones. I think this plays a part in the numbers going up. Ride safe.

Spyder Garage

most likely a combination of new riders and blind motorists...

when youre on a bike, whether 2 wheels or 3, you have to be 'overly' cautious and aware

keep your head up and eyes on the road ahead of you and NEVER stop looking around you
    1. it is what it is - 2014 Black RT-S - Baja Ron Anti-Sway bar, lots of LEDs, Spyderpops Skid Plate, Twisted Sister HID Driving Lights, Tricled 2nd, 3rd & 4th brake lights, F4 Customs vented windshield, Lamonster highway pegs, Ultimate Tall Boy seat, Utopia backrest

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Daisyjoe View Post

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it is the boomers who are making up a disproportionate amount of those deaths. I seem to have heard or read it somewhere.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Ther new riders getting a ZX14 when they are bearly ready for a CBR250

Spyder Garage

It is hard to make a good interpretation of the why's and wherefore's of the cause effect of the deaths without a whole lot more information. It is sad that the number of mc deaths seems to be increasing though.

Motorcycles are bigger and faster than they used to be and some new riders are just not ready for the power and speed that they encounter.

My younger brother was involved in a terrible accident on his maiden voyage on a new HD the very same day he bought it. He had not owned a 1200 cc motorcycle prior to that one. He was almost killed, suffered some brain damage, cannot work any more, but still has most of his facilities. This happened over ten years ago.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm very sad to know all these fatalities. I wonder if they (TN) are doing anything to eliminate these fatal incidents.
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Spyder Garage

What a coincidence that the Orlando Sentinel came out with an article this morning reference a motorcycle accident/death two days ago. In the article it said that there were 7 motorcycle deaths in the Central, Flarda area, this past November. I mention this not to claim that there are more deaths, but to simply report what was listed in the paper.

Chris

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    It is hard to make a good interpretation of the why's and wherefore's of the cause effect of the deaths without a whole lot more information. It is sad that the number of mc deaths seems to be increasing though.

Motorcycles are bigger and faster than they used to be and some new riders are just not ready for the power and speed that they encounter.

My younger brother was involved in a terrible accident on his maiden voyage on a new HD the very same day he bought it. He had not owned a 1200 cc motorcycle prior to that one. He was almost killed, suffered some brain damage, cannot work any more, but still has most of his facilities. This happened over ten years ago.
    Without some proper context; the numbers really don't mean much. (I'm sorry to hear about your brother too!)
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mexican View Post
    Ther new riders getting a ZX14 when they are bearly ready for a CBR250
    +1 ^

Spyder Garage

I have to think you have a combination of factors here, most have already been stated.

More people hoping to gain better fuel economy by riding, maybe less training than those that have ridden for years.

Cagers have to be more distracted these days than ever before. The more things they build into these cars for "safety" add more and more complexity to the systems. Also, I think others are spot on about the cell phone situation. To not have a hands free kit in this day and age is inexcusable. Texting is incredibly dangerous as we all know, let alone reading a book or newspaper,...(I have seen this first hand at 70 mph),...

I think its many factors coming together at a unique time that makes the numbers look skewed.

Just rambling,...
    2014 Spyder RT Limited , OEM NA Satin Platinum

Spyder Garage

If you want some statistics, check out this page.
    http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/departm...53_WA_2010.htm

Bottom line is there are too many senseless deaths in cars and motorcycles!

Spyder Garage

Hmmmmmmmm......62 Helmeted deaths for 2010 and only 6 Unhelmeted deaths?????

Chris

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MouthPiece View Post
    Hmmmmmmmm......62 Helmeted deaths for 2010 and only 6 Unhelmeted deaths?????

Chris
    I would guess that's because Washington State has a helemt law.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default deaths in TN.

I totally agree with all the cell phone committs, that say its dangererous to be around those useing then on the highway.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Exclamation better

as i read this thread i see "the bikes are bigger and faster " as a reason for the deaths todays motocycles may be bigger and faster but theyre also light years ahead in braking/handling/saftey features .In my humble opinion a lot of problems are caused by inexperience and a lack of training and if you live in a small country town like me there are no training facilities within 450 miles so youre snookered .
    ride safe mick

Spyder Garage

2+^

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I'm in upstate south carolina, not far from Tenn. I am seeing more overall "motorcycle" trauma in the ERs that we serve than I remember last year. HOWEVER, the biggest increase here is definitely from scooters. They are everywhere. scooter riders don't seem to have much safety training (just my observation). Are the stats separating motorcycles and scooters? if not, i would expect an increase n the numbers