MOgang Member & Pyro-Man kevorama's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default How To Mount any Gizmo/ iPhone/ Garmin

Hey gang, it's been a while since I've posted a 'how to', basically, because I haven't made any serious mistakes lately, LOL. Any how, Here's an anything mount that I put together using KewlMetal's Gizmo Mount and Ram Mount parts. I know that there are several ways to mount your smart phone, GPS devices and video cams. Here is what I came up with. For those of you that are on the wall, like I was, I hope that this helps narrow down your choices.

First off, I ordered the KewlMetal Gizmo Mount. It's between $55 and $60 through their website. It's packaged very nicely and the black powder coating is well done on both the bracket and the spacers. See below.

You'll need a pretty hefty 7mm Alan wrench + a breaker bar of sorts, to loosen the bottom two bolts. I believe they are epoxied in. I replaced the old, shorter bolts with the new, longer ones & spacers using blue thread locker. Torque to 30+ lbs. The new bolts require an 8mm Alan to tighten.

Here, you can see the diff between the stock bolts and the new KewlMetal bolts w/ spacers.

Once installed it looks like this:

Next, I installed the Ram Mount base piece (less then $10 on Amazon) it fits the standard four hole AMPS which, even though not advertized on their site, KewlMetal's Gizmo Mount lines up perfectly. The hardware to install the Ram mount to the KewlMetal mount is not included for obvious reasons. I took both parts to my local hardware store to size the bolts and nuts and settled on stainless steel. The parts were less than $5.

Ram Mount installed on KewlMetal's Gizmo Mount:

Add the short Ram arm and the X-Grip and you have a killer iPhone, Garmin, or whatever device you want, including video cams if you add the longer Ram arm.

I hope that this helps some of you that want to put one of your devices up front. I'm working on a simple way to add the 7 PIN connector through the front speaker grill while keeping the trunk iPhone connection intact. Mainly, so that we can have internet radio in dry weather and wet. As long as two phones are not connected at once, splitting the two connections for front and rear should be reasonably easy.

To be continued in time...
    Last edited by kevorama; 06-07-2012 at 10:13 PM.
    “Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die tomorrow.”
    James Dean

Spyder Garage

very nice write up, thanks

2014 RT Limited Cognac ----- Wraps, skid plate, lights, Elkas
    2002 harley ultra classic
    2008 hayabusa

Spyder Garage

Don't forget the Loctite on the new handlebar screws!
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

You're right,Scotty. I meant to put that on there. I only had blue loctite on hand and that should be enough. I'll check the torque periodically. Good point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    James Dean

Spyder Garage

Default Running wiring to GPS/Gizmo

Very impressed with your install with the kewlmetal GPS/Gizmo bracket, just wondering how to run wiring such as power or 3.5mm jack for audio etc, I noticed there is a small plug that appears in the handlebar between the bolts and I believe that it can be removed to run wires. How difficult is it to run wiring through this hole and how do you get to the underside?

Regards
    John

Spyder Garage

Nice install . With the Ram mount looks like you have a ton of adjustment there to move your device around .
    Happy Owner

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Don't forget the Loctite on the new handlebar screws!
    Caption under second picture: You'll need a pretty hefty 7mm Alan wrench + a breaker bar of sorts, to loosen the bottom two bolts. I believe they are epoxied in. I replaced the old, shorter bolts with the new, longer ones & spacers using blue thread locker. Torque to 30+ lbs. The new bolts require an 8mm Alan to tighten.
    Love my

Statistics show that most motorcycle accidents are caused by a defective nut holding the handlbars.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JRWW View Post
    Very impressed with your install with the kewlmetal GPS/Gizmo bracket, just wondering how to run wiring such as power or 3.5mm jack for audio etc, I noticed there is a small plug that appears in the handlebar between the bolts and I believe that it can be removed to run wires. How difficult is it to run wiring through this hole and how do you get to the underside?

Regards
    John
    Several ways to go about doing that, John. A freind of mine found that it was easier to run his wires through an armored sleeve under the left side panels and then up and through the opening to the left of the handle bars. Personally, I'm going to run a Y splitter 7 PIN DIN for my iPhone through the right side and bring it through my right side speaker grill. Just pop the weather proof cap off and plug in the cable. You can find several threads and posts on how and where to run that kind of wiring. I have never popped that middle cap off, but I believe you are right about that. Good luck with your project.
    James Dean

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Trickie Dick View Post
    Caption under second picture: You'll need a pretty hefty 7mm Alan wrench + a breaker bar of sorts, to loosen the bottom two bolts. I believe they are epoxied in. I replaced the old, shorter bolts with the new, longer ones & spacers using blue thread locker. Torque to 30+ lbs. The new bolts require an 8mm Alan to tighten.
    The factory screws use Scotch Grip, which is a micro-encapsulated epoxy. They take more torque to loose (once cured) than to tighten. BTW, Scotch Grip treated fasters are somewhat reusable. Not as strong the second time around, but there are enough epoxy capsules left to be effective for a second try or two. Blue Loctite seems to work fine on the new screws. I have not had the screws loosen at all on two Spyders over a total of 22,000 miles.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Thanks for that update, Scotty. I was hoping that a good heavy dose of 'blue' would be enough to hold tight. I wasn't aware of the yellow epoxy product that they used EOM, but it does take a little elbow grease to break them loose. Great post!

See you in 2013 unless you are going to be in the San Diego area around Thanksgiving. That's when my middle boy graduates Marine Boot Camp. Talk soon, my friend. Tell Nancy 'hello' for us from the mid west. be cool!
    James Dean

Spyder Garage

JRWW- really easy to get wires through that hole. Take off enough panels to see in toward the handle bars from the side. Get a LARGE zip-tie, cut off the large clip end and then drill a hole in one end. Pop off that little cover in the middle of the bars and feed the zip-tie through the hole and angle it out and to the side of the bike. It can be used as a really neat 'fishtape' to easily get wires through that hole. I have iPhone charging wire on mine - http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...l=1#post284444

Kevin--,WAY TO GO MY FRIEND!!! Looks great.

Phil, Tyler TX- from my iPad3.5 using Tapatalk HD
    Last edited by Phil; 06-10-2012 at 10:10 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks

Thankyou for the replies, will order the Kewlmetal bracket and get to work.
    Regards
    John

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by warp10 View Post
    Here is my KewlMetal install described and with pictures.

http://www.knarfoh.com/spyder_gps/spyder_gps.html

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by warp10 View Post
    Even better write-up here

http://www.knarfoh.com/GPS_INSTALL/gps_install.html

Spyder Garage

Knarfoh, awesome write up! You took mine and went miles further with it. Good use of the weed wacker line, I'll have to remember that.
    James Dean

Spyder Garage

Default Higher mount for GPS

I prefer to keep my Garmin higher up to avoid washout from overhead sun light and reflected light from light colored clothing. Also helps keep the eyes looking closer to over the dash rather than looking down and not at the road. At my age any little distraction is unwelcome. Some times it only takes a second to get into a bad situation.GPS mount.jpgGPS side view.jpg

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cearley View Post
    I prefer to keep my Garmin higher up to avoid washout from overhead sun light and reflected light from light colored clothing. Also helps keep the eyes looking closer to over the dash rather than looking down and not at the road. At my age any little distraction is unwelcome. Some times it only takes a second to get into a bad situation.
    VERY CLEAN and very nice install! Congrats!

Phil, Tyler TX- from my iPad3.5 using Tapatalk HD

Spyder Garage

Hi guys. New to the forum and to the Spyder family. Just picked up 2012 RS SE5 and starting to modify it a bit. Like the idea of the GPS on it, but noticed this post is for RT. Can someone advise if similar is available for RS model. Thanks in advance.

Spyder Garage

The RS model does differ. I'm sorry that I can't give you the info that you need. Check out the forum for your model. I know that it is as well informed as this thread is.

James Dean

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

How did you fasten this down? I like where this is but I can't tell how it's fastened or how to do it. I'm not good with this stuff and need to have a gps with me so I don't get lost. lol

Quote Originally Posted by cearley View Post
    I prefer to keep my Garmin higher up to avoid washout from overhead sun light and reflected light from light colored clothing. Also helps keep the eyes looking closer to over the dash rather than looking down and not at the road. At my age any little distraction is unwelcome. Some times it only takes a second to get into a bad situation.GPS mount.jpgGPS side view.jpg

Spyder Garage

I'm not sure how he did that. It's not using the X-Grip and Kewl Metal mounts that I had originally posted in this thread. Sorry.
    James Dean

Spyder Garage

Default Re: How To Mount any Gizmo/ iPhone/ Garmin

Sent from my SCH-R760 using Tapatalk 2
    Attached Images Attached Images