Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default So your rubbers broke? Mine too! Try this alternative...

Okay, so now that I got your attention....The Rubbers on my Mono Cowl Seat broke again and of course, the special rubbers are no where to be found. So my fabricating spouse and crafty/sewing me had a discussion on what an expensive racket that can become...buying and breaking rubbers weekly....so we came up with this. We have shared the "fix" with Spydroe and Spyder114...they agree that this is fast, cheap and longer lasting. We bought the supplies at Michaels...warning: we bought grommets to give it a finished look...but decided that the metal would put too much pressure on the hooks underneath the cowl and may cause a break or bend.

Buy this at any craft store...two sided Velcro Strips.

Cut four strips long enough to overlap each side; allow extra to travel around the seat and hydraulic ram.

Use a hole puncher to center punch a hole about 1/2 inch in from one end. It does not matter whether you place the strip face up or down as each side of the Velcro is different. As you wrap the strips underneath the seat just feel which sides grab.

We placed the back strips underneath the hydraulic ram, so it does not interfere with the function.

After you attach and detach a few times, you can do it with your eyes closed! You can remove the mono cowl in seconds...it does not matter if you ruin or lose the strip; just make another!

Nothing to see in the last picture...just wanted to show off my ride! Turning over 5,000 miles this week! Thank you Spydroe for the bling and helping me to post this for everyone!
    Carol Smead
    2010 RTS Blue, gone but not forgotten
    Former owner of 2008 PE #1032 Yellow

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Re: So your rubbers broke? Mine too! Try this alternative...

Purchased the cover and right away I didn't like the "rubbers". I'll try your fix, that is if I ever take it off. ;D

Spyder Garage

We (fellow spyderryder Pat and I) found that with the constant movement, bumps, road heat etc. the rubbers rub, dry out and the knobs break off. You might not notice until you have only two holding on. Please check them frequently or you may lose your cowl someday.
    Carol Smead

Spyder Garage

Cool mod :bigthumbsup: I'll move this to the "How To" section.

Spyder Garage

That is such a simple and great way to hold the cowl on. I don't think a strap is going to break ever but at least you don't have to wait two weeks or more and pay ten dollars for new rubber snubbers. Nice Job Carol :bigthumbsup:
    HAPPY OWNER

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spydroe
    That is such a simple and great way to hold the cowl on. I don't think a strap is going to break ever but at least you don't have to wait two weeks or more and pay ten dollars for new rubber snubbers. Nice Job Carol :bigthumbsup:
    Good job I fixed mine as soon as Pat told me what you did. That works GREAT !!!!. Nice job Carol. You missed a really nice ride on Thursday, sure wish and your hubby could have gone with us. Pat's 88 year old dad went with us, rode that baby just fine.

John, Spyder # 114

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

How are you keeping your velcro straps secure on the cowl anchoring posts .....I made my slot in the straps just large enough to go over the posts but with a little movement or adjustment of the cowl and I have a loose strap that comes off the post?? I still think it's a shame that anchoring this baby has turned in to an owners do it yourself project....the cords that come with the unit 100% Mickey Mouse!

Spyder Garage

Buelldog; husband Bob suggests this...
    Take the two longest straps and punch two holes in each of the two straps; 1st hole about 1/2 from end and 2nd 2.5 inches from the end.
    Turn over mono cowl. At the widest part there are three torx screws holding the backrest pad to cowl. Remove the two outer screws. Place straps with the end holes of strap through screws between pad and cowl, tighten screws. Now place the 2nd hole through the hook on the cowl. When you overlap the straps make them a snug fit...not super tight...don't want to put pressure on the hooks of the mono cowl.
    Just take the 2nd set of straps, looping the hook through the punched holes...remember that these straps go outward around the seat bottom, over the hydraulic ram, laying snuggly against each other.
    Carol Smead

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by csmead
    Buelldog; husband Bob suggests this...
    Take the two longest straps and punch two holes in each of the two straps; 1st hole about 1/2 from end and 2nd 2.5 inches from the end.
    Turn over mono cowl. At the widest part there are three torx screws holding the backrest pad to cowl. Remove the two outer screws. Place straps with the end holes of strap through screws between pad and cowl, tighten screws. Now place the 2nd hole through the hook on the cowl. When you overlap the straps make them a snug fit...not super tight...don't want to put pressure on the hooks of the mono cowl.
    Just take the 2nd set of straps, looping the hook through the punched holes...remember that these straps go outward around the seat bottom, over the hydraulic ram, laying snuggly against each other.
    Now that you are a pro now posting pictures, how about a picture of this thread? You can bitch me out the next time I stop by.
    HAPPY OWNER

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Yeah , mine broke too... I'll do the "Velcro fix" as you guys have ... nice job !!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyder3rdr View Post
    Yeah , mine broke too... I'll do the "Velcro fix" as you guys have ... nice job !!!
    Popped my rubber last night in the dark... man was I

What a silly design for a part that costs a few hundred bucks

... guess I go get the velcro...
    Happy Spyder Owner - 2008 Millennium Yellow PE #2475
    HID lights, fog lights, Hindle exhaust, heated grips, anti-vibe bars, passenger extension pegs, BRP custom seat, seat cowl, sport rack/backrest, BRP saddlebags, CHAD black/smoke windshield, outdoor cover, Garmin Quest GPS, Rear axel billets.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I'm about to do this to mine as well since after only 2 weeks of it being installed (first time removed) i noticed that oen of them was broke arghhhhhh

Anyone know the aproximate size to cut the strips ?
    Happy SE5 Owner!!!

Silver/Black SE5 - Trunk Liner, 1" riser, 12v, Kuryakyn ISO Grips, 5" Kewlmetal Pullback Bars, Kewlmetal Console, Zumo 450, Ipod, Kewlmetal Highway brackets with Wing pegs, Triple Play, Wizard Light LED's, Corbin front/rear saddle with Backrest, Nelson Rigg CL950 Saddlebags with CL800 Tote Bag, CalSci Medium Windshield.

Spyder Garage

This is a great mod. I dont take on and off the cowl very often. So I havent had any problems with the rubber cords holding the cowl on (that I knew of). This past sunday, I my nephew wanted a ride. I went to remove the cowl and found the 2 of the 4 cords were already broken.

I remembered reading this thread and went to wal-mart today to get some velcro. I got the 30" x 5/8" black soft sew on velcro.

NOT THE STICKY BACK. I cut the 30" strips in half. Folded over one of the ends about 1" and put a single punch hole in the strip. The Fold over is to help not rip so easily. I slipped the velcro over the tab where the rubber strap went, using the hole I just made. Then I followed the above directions for strapping it to the seat.

Works Great. I might go ahead and get some sticky back velcro and attach it to the bottom of my seat to make it easy to velcro on and off.
    Kalavera
    Red 2008 SM5
    6-spoke Mag wheels w/Wheel Trim Rings painted RED
    Spyder Brake Caliper Trim Kit
    Red Mono Seat Cowl
    Red rear Sport Rack
    Fog Lights
    Two Brothers Carbon fiber dual exhaust
    Trunk Liner organizer w/12 volt dc outlet

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Looked at mine today and 2 of the 4 were already broken, after just 3 weeks on the Spyder. Velcro mod, here I come.

Really dont want to chase this thing down the road if it comes off.

Spyder Garage

Just seeing this now. Thanks for the fix description and pictures. Those little rubbers with the knobby ends were junk!!!

Thanks!!!!
    Marilyn

Spyder Garage

Went to put gas in the tank and saw these little black balls rolling around. Off to get some velcro, too.

I hope BRP is reading about this so that they can come up with a better way to attach the seat cowl.
    Obviously, their way isn't working.

I LOVE my

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Spyder Garage

Default Darn it...

Just got the mono seat cowl delivered today...what a pain those little rubbers are. Then I bought the one sided velcro...guess I should have read directions a little better.

Spyder Garage

Great mod! Am looking to pick up the Cowl and this will work out great!

Thx!!

Spyder Garage

Default Rubber

If my "RUBBER" breaks I'm leaving the country.

"LIFE WON'T CHANGE UNTIL YOU CHANGE YOUR LIFE"

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by porboy View Post
    If my "RUBBER" breaks I'm leaving the country.
    Based on your avatar pic, I doubt you'd get an opportunity to use it.
    ata = allergic to asphalt

My mods: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ead.php?t=5753
    There are two kinds of people: (1) those who can read, reason and apply the experiences of others; and (2) those who just have to pee on the electric fence. ataDude, 2009

My Spyder:

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ataDude View Post
    Based on your avatar pic, I doubt you'd get an opportunity to use it.
    I don't care who you are, that's funny right there!

Spyder Garage

Default Rubber

ataDUDE,

I think you hurt my feelings...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by porboy View Post
    ataDUDE,

I think you hurt my feelings...
    Sorry about that.

ata = allergic to asphalt

My mods: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ead.php?t=5753
    There are two kinds of people: (1) those who can read, reason and apply the experiences of others; and (2) those who just have to pee on the electric fence. ataDude, 2009

My Spyder:

Spyder Garage

Default Rubber

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I had my seat cowl fitted last thursday (it was in for its 15,000 km service anyway) and today being tuesday, Ive noticed that three of the rubber tie downs are broken. I was hoping that they would have lasted at least a week before I had to start looking for the velcro replacement.