Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Redesigned mudflap for trailer hitch

IMG_5387 - Copy (800x533).jpgIMG_5513 (800x533).jpgIMG_5514 (800x533).jpgIMG_5517 (800x533).jpg
    Stock Picture................. My Solution.............. It wraps the tire .......Hard to see from Here

Every time I take the trailer out on wet roads both the back of the bike and the trailer get filthy. Before the hitch went on my home made mud flap did a good job so what had changed? I could see by the spray patteren that the spray off the tire flies up and hits the factory hitch/mud flap then spashes up and then over the hitch.

I made a shroud that fits between the hitch and the hitches mud flap as shown. This has pretty much stopped the crude from getting to the trailer. It is hardly noticable from any distance but looks like it should be there. It is made of 1/8" ABS plastic, pebbled surface side up.

The drive belt only looks like this because I have to back into the garage, it goes back to proper clerance when I drive forward.
    Last edited by bluestratos; 12-05-2012 at 10:35 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That looks really great!
    on a very workable solution!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

So noted and thanks.

Chris

Spyder Garage

Looks like your mudflap conversion was installed at the factory. Very nice!

Spyder Garage

One thing I should have mentioned, I will have to remove the upper mud flap when using the hitch as the two would interfer with each other othe wise. I am looking at creating a narrow slot in the shroud to allow the mud flap to move up and down. This would require a slight longer mud flap.

Spyder Garage

Unless you are interested in making and selling them, I think SpyderPops should jump on this! SpyderPops STCG = Stop The Crud Guard!
    Last edited by Rando; 12-06-2012 at 10:06 AM.

Spyder Garage

I don't know if you've driven two up but the rear fender will drop down into the hitch pretty far, past the bottom if I remember right.

Spyder Garage

You are right Lamonster, since the hitch and the body move independantly of each other I have to remove the mud flap right now (comes off with three little screws that thread into a backer of aluminum). I am working on creating a slot to allow the mud flap to slide up and down without interference. I want to do some more testing to see how well the shroud works at high speed, I have not yet been on the freeway in the rain. I did try it out up to 55 mph and the difference was dramatic, instead of the back of the bike and the first half of the trailer being covered in mud, sticks, gravel, grass, leaves you name it, only the water mist from I believe comes from the front tires hits it so it gets on it and only up to the hinge line, the upper painted area keeps clean now.

By the way... Hi Sam!... you must be excited about getting your new 2013 special addition.. have you hear any updates as to the delivery time?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bluestratos View Post
    You are right Lamonster, since the hitch and the body move independantly of each other I have to remove the mud flap right now (comes off with three little screws that thread into a backer of aluminum). I am working on creating a slot to allow the mud flap to slide up and down without interference. I want to do some more testing to see how well the shroud works at high speed, I have not yet been on the freeway in the rain. I did try it out up to 55 mph and the difference was dramatic, instead of the back of the bike and the first half of the trailer being covered in mud, sticks, gravel, grass, leaves you name it, only the water mist from I believe comes from the front tires hits it so it gets on it and only up to the hinge line, the upper painted area keeps clean now.

By the way... Hi Sam!... you must be excited about getting your new 2013 special addition.. have you hear any updates as to the delivery time?
    I agree that it makes a huge difference in the amount of spray you get on the trailer and the back of your neck. This is my solution.

I still have the prototype ST here and have just over 4000 miles on it now. No word when mine will show up yet.

Spyder Garage

That looks like checker plate aluminum bent on two plains, very spiffy.. how did you attach it?

Spyder Garage

That looks like checker plate aluminum bent on two plains, very spiffy.. how did you attach it?
    I used a alumn. trailer fender (10") and made a steel mount that bolts to the hitch.

Spyder Garage

I LIKE that fender! Gives me some food for thought...
    Our 'Tardis' 2011 RT SE5 A/C Orbital Blue & 622 Trailer
    HMT Brake Lt, KewlMetal Hwy Brkts, Corbin Seat w/heat & backrest, Custom Dynamics Fender Tips & Mudflap LEDs, Gorilla Alarm, Stebel Horn, Xenon Depot HID Kit, SpyderPOPS Radiator block & BumpSkid, RumblingPride TCM flag mts, Elkas, BRP Fogs, Garmin 665, Alaskan Leather ButtPads, Gremlin Bell, GripBuddies, his/her htd gear power jacks, KewlMetal Perf Air Intake, BajaRon plugs/wires & Anti-Sway Bar, Baker Belt Stabilizer, Baker Mug.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hey that would even work as a spot to mount some more lights!
    Somebody call Reggy!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default FLAP

LOOKS GOOD I have a couple old fenders laying around but would like to see detail on mounting

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    I used a alumn. trailer fender (10") and made a steel mount that bolts to the hitch.
    Planning on getting the schematics out to SpyderPops on this? I'd like to have one for when I get a trailer hitch added.

Spyder Garage

Default nice mudflap belt!!!

IMG_5387 - Copy (800x533).jpgIMG_5513 (800x533).jpgIMG_5514 (800x533).jpgIMG_5517 (800x533).jpg
    Stock Picture................. My Solution.............. It wraps the tire .......Hard to see from Here

Every time I take the trailer out on wet roads both the back of the bike and the trailer get filthy. Before the hitch went on my home made mud flap did a good job so what had changed? I could see by the spray patteren that the spray off the tire flies up and hits the factory hitch/mud flap then spashes up and then over the hitch.

I made a shroud that fits between the hitch and the hitches mud flap as shown. This has pretty much stopped the crude from getting to the trailer. It is hardly noticable from any distance but looks like it should be there. It is made of 1/8" ABS plastic, pebbled surface side up.

The drive belt only looks like this because I have to back into the garage, it goes back to proper clerance when I drive forward.
    you say your belt walks out when you back and rides right when forward that sounds like your rear tire is not adjusted proper!!!

you should be able to rotate the tire forward and back without a belt walking side to side in this manor

if its doing this the tracking of it is off

correct tracking on the belt should be 1/16 off of the right side guard of the rear sprocket this gap is to see of there is adjustment issues

there shouldn't be much if any reversing walk to the left

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tx web rider View Post
    you say your belt walks out when you back and rides right when forward that sounds like your rear tire is not adjusted proper!!!

you should be able to rotate the tire forward and back without a belt walking side to side in this manor

if its doing this the tracking of it is off

correct tracking on the belt should be 1/16 off of the right side guard of the rear sprocket this gap is to see of there is adjustment issues

there shouldn't be much if any reversing walk to the left
    Sorry, but I disagree. I have never seen a Spyder that didn't have the belt walk out a bit when backed up. The shop manual even warns against rotating the wheel backwards when adjusting the belt. If the belt runs true when the Spyder is moved straight forward, it is generally OK, but if the variation when reversed or in turns is execessive, there is likely a problem that needs to be addressed.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Default Re: Redesigned mudflap for trailer hitch

When we spoke at the owners event you said you might be making this out of plastic to look like stock rear Kenda tire tread and selling them. I am not trying to create another NBV like thread with all of us begging you to hurry up and make them already but have you thought any more about it?

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk 2
    Kinggeek
    Mandeville,LA

VERY HAPPY Spyder Ryder!

Where have we been on the Spyder? See below:

Can-Am Spyder ST-S SE5 in Congac

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Sorry, but I disagree. I have never seen a Spyder that didn't have the belt walk out a bit when backed up.
    Yep!, they all walk a little when backed up, Some a little more than others.
    A few years ago i ran into a guy who manufactured drive belts and he explained why they do that.
    Naturally i didn't understand most of what he said, What i did remember was something to do with the
    length of the belt on the Spyder and the way their cut from long rolls.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

But it sure can be disconcerting...
    How many miles would you have to back up before the belt walked off the pulley?

Spyder Garage

I agree that it makes a huge difference in the amount of spray you get on the trailer and the back of your neck. This is my solution.

I still have the prototype ST here and have just over 4000 miles on it now. No word when mine will show up yet.

I would love this on my Spyder and buy it in a heart beat, please some clever spyderlover please make this a product.

I would have no idea how to make the mounts, would love a kit that includes the mounts, mud guard and detailed pictured instructions...

harry
    "Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus"
    My Rides;
    Nimbus 2000, Ford Anglia, 2012 Spyder RT Limited, Pre 14 Vintage Classic Collectors Edition!

Favorite Ride;
    Nimbus 2000 boy this thing can fly.

Mods:
    Charm of invisibility, Reparo Charm (cuts down on service cost)

One always wonders about roads not taken.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    But it sure can be disconcerting...
    How many miles would you have to back up before the belt walked off the pulley?
    It won't happen. There is a flange on the opposite side on the front pulley. That was done for a reason.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Default Where to buy such a trailer fender?

Lamonster, where could we buy such a trailer fender already that size? Thanks

Spyder Garage

I showed a picture of what Lamont did to a fella that built my utility trailer a few years back. I asked if he could come up with something similar. He looked at me and smiled and said "I reckon I can come up with something". I should have something soon that I'll post. Thanks Lamont for the assist.

Chris

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MouthPiece View Post
    I showed a picture of what Lamont did to a fella that built my utility trailer a few years back. I asked if he could come up with something similar. He looked at me and smiled and said "I reckon I can come up with something". I should have something soon that I'll post. Thanks Lamont for the assist.

Chris
    Standing by !

Thanks