Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Where does the glovebox lock connect in front

My glove-box does not lock, and I can not find the front connection point. It is attached at the glove-box, but even with al lthe side panels off I can not find where it should attach so it locks when the handlebars are locked. My dealer says it is a bigger job than one might expect, since a lot of plastic needs to be removed. I dont mind taking it apart, since I am not freaking out every time I have to "pop" the mirrors off. It does seem like a crazy design though, rather than bolting them in place. Besides they are loosening up somewhat now.

If it can be accessed without to much trouble, I will do it myself, though the dealer says it is covered anyway.

Thanks-as always to the terrific people of this board.

Spyder Garage

I had to remove the glove box when I installed my CB and Comm package. Here is video of Ken and Dennis from West Coast Spyders installing a CB.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-IYh1qhg-M

They discuss the removal of the glove box and cable around a minute and half into the video. You should be able to get to the cable by removing the left side panels, then the acoustical panel and the cable will be there. I don't think you will have to remove the glove box to reconnect the cable, if so you will have to remove the panels on both sides. It's been a while since I installed mine and I had all the panels off.

It's not very difficult at all once you get to it.

Good Luck,
    Pman
    Last edited by YIRYDE; 12-05-2012 at 07:56 AM.
    [B]

2018 Intense Red F3T (See About Me under My Profile for mods)
    2010 Timeless Black RT-622 Trailer
    2014 Timeless Black RTS-SE6, 34,300 Miles, traded May 2019
    2011 Timeless Black RTS-SE5, 15,180 Miles, traded April 2014

Spyder Garage

The cable terminates at the latch at the back of the glovebox. The body panels on both sides need to be removed for access. Adjustment there may not cure your problem though. I'd let the dealer handle it. You do realize that it does not lock unless the steering is turned to the side and locked, don't you? If you mean it doesn't latch, adjustment or repair is definitely in order.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Yes I understand th esteering needs to be turned.

I understand that the steering needs ot be turned and locked in place for the glove-box to latch. It had worked fine until some work was done on it a few montns ago. I shoul dbe getting my 5K oil change soon, and I will have the dealer fix it at that time, since it seems it may be a bit time consuming to repair myself.

As always, this board is the source of a lot of good information given by a lot of good people.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2manycars View Post
    I understand that the steering needs ot be turned and locked in place for the glove-box to latch. It had worked fine until some work was done on it a few montns ago. I shoul dbe getting my 5K oil change soon, and I will have the dealer fix it at that time, since it seems it may be a bit time consuming to repair myself.

As always, this board is the source of a lot of good information given by a lot of good people.
    One end of the cable is at the latch end of the glove box. The other end of the cable is in front of the steering column behind the headlights. mine did not lock and I found it disconnected behind the headlights.
    Kinggeek
    Mandeville,LA

VERY HAPPY Spyder Ryder!

Where have we been on the Spyder? See below:

Can-Am Spyder ST-S SE5 in Congac