Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Fauquier County VA - Virginia's most carefully pronounced county.
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Ledford View Post
    My next challenge is to try to eliminate wandering all over the road It wants to follow the road contours despite what I want it to do... So we are going to have the alignment checked on Friday morning...... Stay tuned in for the results!

Tighten up your shock adjustments.
    2012 RT Limited - Pearl White

My Mods -
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?39494-DR-Buck-s-2012-RT-Limited-Mods
    2012 RT Limited , Full size brake peddel White w/Red Highlights

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 010 Black RTS View Post
    I had the same problem on my 2010 RT-S which happened suddenly on a week long trip. Stopped at a dealer while on my trip and they left some air out of my front tires and said everything felt alright. A few miles down the road it still felt the same as it did before. Got it home to my dealer in PA and they tried everything with the front end, what my problem was in the back sprocket. I had a small stone in my back sprocket which caused a vibration through the frame to the front end causing a bad wobble at 38-42 mph. Never would have thought to look at the rear for a front end wobble.
    A stone, or even just a mild buildup of debris, in the sprocket can cause a vibration or a "thunking", but it would not cause a "wobble". I guess we all describe things differently. To me, wobble is a side to side movement as well as up and down. Good idea to carefully inspect the sprockets, in any case.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Suggestion -- Spin balance, just my 2 cents.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bruiser View Post
    Sarge, have you tried to air up the bag and see if it holds??? It may be the air pump itself. Just my 2cents worth.
    My base RT is manual so I have to put the air in with the slime compressor from the back outlet and it will keep 35 pounds for about an hour BUT the next day its down to zero? I,ll try to replace the core but its just too much of a hassle to leave it at the dealers for who knows how long when I always ride single 200 pounds and NO passenger. Lots of people seem to have the airbag "Air Lose" problem?

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

OK. I didn't realize what model you had. What we found on BBs RT was the air pump wasn't working correctly. Had it replaced and now works fine. Hope you can get yours fixed soon.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    It takes old-fashioned investigation by an experienced and dedicated technician (or owner). Check the wheels to see if they run true, both axially and laterally, both inside and outside rims of each wheel. Untrue wheels must be replaced. Check the wheel bearings, and replace any with problems. Check the tires to see if the tread runs true. Best checked on a spin truing machine, but it can be done on the vehicle or on a wheel truing stand or balancing machine. Tire treads can be trued sometimes by shaving the tire, but the tires may need to be replaced if a tire defect is at fault or the tread is thin. Spin balance the tires and check to see they haven't changed. If any have excessive weight to balance them, they should probably be replaced. If the tires have Ride-On or another balancing/sealing material in them, that could be the problem. Improper quantities of the material, or tire defects or irregularities, can cause them to create rather than fix an imbalance. Cold tires or tires that have rested a long time will often be imbalanced by the liquid until you do a few highway miles. This causes a "wobble" if the imbalance points hit the ground at different times, and even can cause a wheel hop effect. In some cases removing the substance will improve things, and in some the tires have to be replaced. Note that wheel alignment issues can enhance imbalance or runout problems, and increase the perception of "wobble". Checking alignment is a good idea in stubborn cases. You may have multiple factors involved, which will make finding the cause very difficult. In those cases it is best to swap wheels and tires with a known good vehicle. If the problem is then gone, both the wheels and tires may have to be replaced.
    Although my wobble is minor and at Off throttle 38-42 MPH only a few times a ride I noticed the weights on the Right tire which seems to start the wobble first? How many weights is Tooo many 17 in a row on the Right tire and 4 in a row on the left???
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Sarge707; 03-29-2013 at 04:50 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge707 View Post
    Although my wobble is minor and at Off throttle 38-42 MPH only a few times a ride I noticed the weights on the Right tire which seems to start the wobble first? How many weights is Tooo many 17 in a row on the Right tire and 4 in a row on the left???
    Looks just like mine did. I ended up purchasing new tires. It fixed my front end wobble.

Spyder Garage

Seventeen is huge! I suspect that is your problem. As badly out of balance tires wear, the balance changes. Spin balancing the tire again might bring short-term relief, but a better tire, properly mounted and balanced, would be a likely cure. The off-throttle occurrence could be due to shifting the weight back to the front. Tires that need that much weight to balance usually have excessive plies in one area, and not only are badly out of balance, but also somewhat out of round, and stiffer where the "flaw" is.
    -Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default RT front end wobble

If you can find a tire shop that will work with you, have them break both beads and rotate the tire on the wheel 180 degrees and then try to rebalance it. I bet then they can remove a lot of weight. Some tires and wheels are just that way....planets align...yada yada yada....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Seventeen is huge! I suspect that is your problem. As badly out of balance tires wear, the balance changes. Spin balancing the tire again might bring short-term relief, but a better tire, properly mounted and balanced, would be a likely cure. The off-throttle occurrence could be due to shifting the weight back to the front. Tires that need that much weight to balance usually have excessive plies in one area, and not only are badly out of balance, but also somewhat out of round, and stiffer where the "flaw" is.
    What is BRP,s Responsibility in this? My dealer has a allignment shop nearby do the balancing.
    Should I Insist they spin balance and if Needed replace BOTH tires because you can,t just do One?
    This is NEW 2012 3,500 Miles and every additional mile is probably affecting the bearings lifespan?

I could put my GS tires on the RT to test BUT it should be up to them to Test and replace!

Spyder Garage

What is BRP,s Responsibility in this? My dealer has a allignment shop nearby do the balancing.
    Should I Insist they spin balance and if Needed replace BOTH tires because you can,t just do One?
    This is NEW 2012 3,500 Miles and every additional mile is probably affecting the bearings lifespan?

I could put my GS tires on the RT to test BUT it should be up to them to Test and replace!
    The tire warranty is 6 months. If you are within this period, it should be their responsibility if it is a tire defect. The problem is that they are not tire experts, and it will be very difficult to get them to understand it or find the problem. I'd run it up the flagpole, but don't expect them to salute.
    3. for the tires, 6 CONSECUTIVE MONTHS or until tires are worn to the last
    three thirty-second of an inch (3/32 inch) (2.38 millimeters) for the front tires
    and the last five thirty-second of an inch (5/32 inch) (3.97 millimeters) for the
    rear tire, whichever occurs first.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

I have zero pressure in my air bag and Elka,s and it happens about 38-42 MPH once or twice an outing for a second or 2 at most and seems to be in the same places in my ride BUT it only happens if I have let OFF the throttle AND whenever I have throttle being applied it NEVER happens .
    Its steady as "No Hands on Cruise" at 70 MPH or whenever the throttle is being applied?
    Gotta find a fix to the air bag first ?
    Mine is the same in that it only happens if I am steady on the throttle or letting off of the throttle and it doesn't happen if I am accelerating. Also the same as steady and No hands on at 70 MPH????? I do have 12 weights on the left front wheel and it is a wobble, side to side, fender and all, not a shake.

2012 Spyder RT Limited
    Guardian Bell (gift from son)
    Spyderpops bumpskid
    ISCI hand brake
    BajaRon Anti-Sway Bar
    BRP Adjustable Wind Deflectors

Spyder Garage

The tire warranty is 6 months. If you are within this period, it should be their responsibility if it is a tire defect. The problem is that they are not tire experts, and it will be very difficult to get them to understand it or find the problem. I'd run it up the flagpole, but don't expect them to salute.
    3. for the tires, 6 CONSECUTIVE MONTHS or until tires are worn to the last
    three thirty-second of an inch (3/32 inch) (2.38 millimeters) for the front tires
    and the last five thirty-second of an inch (5/32 inch) (3.97 millimeters) for the
    rear tire, whichever occurs first.
    OK - Tires are technically out of warranty 20 March BUT My dealer said bring the 2 front wheels in and he will send them down the street to the Tire balancing experts and he will pick up the Charge without any warranty claim.
    "Land & Sea Marine!" Waterbury CT Thanks Bob!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default wobble

OK - Tires are technically out of warranty 20 March BUT My dealer said bring the 2 front wheels in and he will send them down the street to the Tire balancing experts and he will pick up the Charge without any warranty claim.
    "Land & Sea Marine!" Waterbury CT Thanks Bob!!

yes same here,,, wooble in front since i had the front tire rotated,,,,,,(i had them rotated when i change the rear tire at 33,oookm,,,, )

i guess i will have to live with it until i chage the rear tire at 66,oookm,,,then i will put new one in front to !

Spyder Garage

Default Fixed same problem

Quote Originally Posted by captblack View Post
    I have the same thing at 45 - 55 and both feel it and see the fenders shaking. It seems to have started after I had the tires rotated a couple of weeks ago. Heading to the dealer this week to check the balance.

I am 99.5% sure it is not the belt nor do I think it is the new rear tire ...
    Shimmy was slight at first gradually getting worse. It seemed to me to be the left wheel causing the problem. Finally it was so bad I couldn't go over 40MPH. Dealership couldn't find anything wrong the first two times I brought it in. Finally, since it'd gotten so bad that even they could see/feel it they pulled a wheel from a demo and the problem went away. Still nothing at all was visible. They ordered and replaced both front wheels since they come with the tire already installed. Luckily it was under warranty. No problems at all since. I think it's possible it may have been a pot hole I hit that damaged the wheel because the slight shimmy showed up shortly thereafter. Not 100% sure though.
    Last edited by Navy Warrant; 05-05-2013 at 03:32 PM.
    [/IMG]

2012 RT-S SE5, Pure Magnesium Metallic (traded in)
    2015 RT LTD SE6, Red Pearl, Ultra Comfort Seat
    MODS: shorty antenna, BajaRon sway bar, Air Hawk cushion, custom LED US flag, custom Sue Hopper painted SPECOPS hood logo, custom Combat Craft Crewman windshield engraving, cup holder, Doc Humphry's 2017 complete RT kit belt tensioner

Spyder Garage

Default Front end wobble

It would seem that as prevalent as the problem is with our vehicles, that the company would recognize that a problem exist and take a more responsible position to identify and eliminate the problem.

I have a 2010 RT and at 45-55 it is a joke to take a look at the handlebars. I have maintain my tears by keeping the air correct and I also use Ride-On. Currently I have a little over 19,000 miles on the front tires with at least 8- to 10,000 miles left on the threads. Rear tire has been replaced.

In the meantime, "Shake, Rattle & Roll".

Spyder Garage

Default Front end wobble

After an extreme effort from my dealer to resolve the same issue I took my wheels off took them to Goodyear asked if they had an adapter to fit my wheels they had, they balanced my wheels and that helped with my problem no more wobble .
    2017 RT Limited , White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Glad to hear that you're back up on three!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Cool BRP should step up and address this issue.

One of the more common complaints related to this machine. It would seem that the company should STEP UP and address this situation, since it is so common.

At send a inquiry to owners to test whether this "problem" is more prevalent than just those of us who are willing to discuss the issue online.

Maybe Lamont can help generate some company interest on our behalf.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderBen View Post
    One of the more common complaints related to this machine. It would seem that the company should STEP UP and address this situation, since it is so common.

At send a inquiry to owners to test whether this "problem" is more prevalent than just those of us who are willing to discuss the issue online.

Maybe Lamont can help generate some company interest on our behalf.
    Mine is very minor and may happen for a second or 2 Once or twice during a 3 hour ride and usually happens when I have to follow a slow poke in front of me who ,seems to slow down so he can see my Spyder in the rear view mirror?
    It never wobbles or vibrates at full speed and is a steady as can be at All speeds except that 41-42 MPH once in a Great while.

I didn,t even NOTICE IT until it was brought up and then I had to try to make it happen?

I bet there are More people with the minor occurance than realize!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Update information

It has been over a month now since I had the front end alignment checked by a non dealer. He used the "micro laser alignment" method and rechecked it three times. He could not believe what he was seeing. It was perfect, right dead on target.

The reason he was rejecting being perfect was early that week he had done three others from different dealers and found three different readings from them. All of which he adjusted and had the owners test ride them when done. All reported "big improvement."

The next time I was back to my purchasing dealer I related the check results. He and the Service Manager related they check every new sale before it goes out the door for being right on target.
    Last edited by Bob Ledford; 05-13-2013 at 11:53 AM. Reason: Missing "

Spyder Garage

Default Multiple weights question - Help!

It takes old-fashioned investigation by an experienced and dedicated technician (or owner). Check the wheels to see if they run true, both axially and laterally, both inside and outside rims of each wheel. Untrue wheels must be replaced. Check the wheel bearings, and replace any with problems. Check the tires to see if the tread runs true. Best checked on a spin truing machine, but it can be done on the vehicle or on a wheel truing stand or balancing machine. Tire treads can be trued sometimes by shaving the tire, but the tires may need to be replaced if a tire defect is at fault or the tread is thin. Spin balance the tires and check to see they haven't changed. If any have excessive weight to balance them, they should probably be replaced. If the tires have Ride-On or another balancing/sealing material in them, that could be the problem. Improper quantities of the material, or tire defects or irregularities, can cause them to create rather than fix an imbalance. Cold tires or tires that have rested a long time will often be imbalanced by the liquid until you do a few highway miles. This causes a "wobble" if the imbalance points hit the ground at different times, and even can cause a wheel hop effect. In some cases removing the substance will improve things, and in some the tires have to be replaced. Note that wheel alignment issues can enhance imbalance or runout problems, and increase the perception of "wobble". Checking alignment is a good idea in stubborn cases. You may have multiple factors involved, which will make finding the cause very difficult. In those cases it is best to swap wheels and tires with a known good vehicle. If the problem is then gone, both the wheels and tires may have to be replaced.
    I realize this is an old thread but I just picked up a RT-S that shakes so bad at 47-56 that you cant see in the mirrors. The shake continues at higher speeds but becomes more of a vibration. It looks like the left fender is bouncing much worse than the right. My right wheel has 7 weights... the left has 14... Is that what you call excessive? Seems like a lot to me but, I am a super newbe. The bike is a '15 but was brand new. Can you advise?

Spyder Garage

Default Front Fender Shake

as well as
    Quote Originally Posted by captblack View Post
    I have the same thing at 45 - 55 and both feel it and see the fenders shaking. It seems to have started after I had the tires rotated a couple of weeks ago. Heading to the dealer this week to check the balance.

I am 99.5% sure it is not the belt nor do I think it is the new rear tire ...
    I had this same problem when my tires and Spyder were brand new. It turned out to be the belts in the tire were not put in correctly when the tires were made. This is tire belts, not the drive belt. In addition my alignment was out and the steering was trying to make my trike turn right.

Worn mechanical parts have been mentioned. Mechanical parts will permit shaking if bad, but rarely will cause the shake. Often bad mechanical parts are the result of a problem with tires or alignment.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RedRTS View Post
    I realize this is an old thread but I just picked up a RT-S that shakes so bad at 47-56 that you cant see in the mirrors. The shake continues at higher speeds but becomes more of a vibration. It looks like the left fender is bouncing much worse than the right. My right wheel has 7 weights... the left has 14... Is that what you call excessive? Seems like a lot to me but, I am a super newbe. The bike is a '15 but was brand new. Can you advise?
    It's possible. The tires need to be pulled and rebalanced, just to make sure. That may include removing them from the rims and reinstalling them.

Also, even though it's a new bike, the front end could still be out of alignment. That too needs to be checked. The ROLO laser alignment method is the only sure way to go. Many dealers do not use this method. The method outlined in the BRP manual is crude and imprecise, so the ROLO method is the only sure fire way to go. Unfortunately, you may have to chase down someone in your general area who is a ROLO specialist.

Also, have the dealer check the rear drive belt tension and wheel alignment. Vibrations from the back tire can travel throughout the bike and trick you into thinking the source is different than what it is.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I have the same problem on my 2014 RTS. Bought it from original owner 6 mos.ago.
    Not sure how many miles on the tires but they have plenty of tread.
    I get the wobble @ 50 then seems to go away near 60.
    Probably going to the dealer with it to check it lt out.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk