Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default RT front end wobble

I have a 2011 rt s and been having issues with front end wobble. This happens around 39 to 45mph. Excelerating or decelerating. Have had it in the shop twice. First time tire balancing-air checked-front end inspection. Test drive no problems. Took it home 18 miles later same problem decelerating on freeway ramp 42mph. Took it back got new tires and they did some steering moudual ajustment. Took it home and could feel like it still wanted to start again. At those problem speeds can see while riding that the fenders are shacking back and forth but goes away anything over 45. What the heck. Thias is not fun anymore. Anybody have this issue?

Spyder Garage

I have the same thing at 45 - 55 and both feel it and see the fenders shaking. It seems to have started after I had the tires rotated a couple of weeks ago. Heading to the dealer this week to check the balance.

I am 99.5% sure it is not the belt nor do I think it is the new rear tire ...
    Bill
    Pride Runs Deep Semper Tacitus

An armed man is a Citizen; an unarmed man is a subject....

2017 F3 T SE6
    2015 Vulcan Vaquero ABS
    ALR Chapter 401 (Hilliard FL)
    GA & FL Patriot Guard

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Nomercy369 View Post
    I have a 2011 rt s and been having issues with front end wobble. This happens around 39 to 45mph. Excelerating or decelerating. Have had it in the shop twice. First time tire balancing-air checked-front end inspection. Test drive no problems. Took it home 18 miles later same problem decelerating on freeway ramp 42mph. Took it back got new tires and they did some steering moudual ajustment. Took it home and could feel like it still wanted to start again. At those problem speeds can see while riding that the fenders are shacking back and forth but goes away anything over 45. What the heck. Thias is not fun anymore. Anybody have this issue?
    Something is wrong (DUH!) but it's always the 'What' that gets you. Assuming that the new tires are good and balanced properly, could be bent or out of round wheels, could be bad ball joints, could be bad A-Arm bushings.

They need to look until they find the problem.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I had the same problem and it was my tires. They were cupping and new tires fixed the problem.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    I had the same problem and it was my tires.
    Ditto!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Problem solving 101:
    Try to figure out what can affect the undesireable change that you have noticed.
    Isolate those factors
    Determine if there has been a change in those individual factors
    Correct any changes; ONE AT A TIME!
    Note any differences...

Happy Hunting!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I have the same problem on my 2012RT Limited that only has 3,000 mi. on it so I don't think it is tire wear. The wobble occurs between 38 and 42 mph and then goes away. Wish I knew the solution??

Spyder Garage

My tires were defective from the start so don't assume that it's not the tires. Check the weights. If there are a lot of weights on the rim, chances are you also have defective tires.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Wobble

Quote Originally Posted by Nomercy369 View Post

I have the same thing my dealer took it right in and removed the two front wheels for balance and one was out of balance . Fixed that ąnd reinstalled then retested OK. The problem is but is definitely temperatūre related.
    Last edited by Bob Ledford; 05-07-2013 at 09:17 AM. Reason: Misspelled words

Indian Land, SC (30 miles S of Charlotte, NC) was Spotsylvania, VA
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Ledford View Post
    I have the same thing my dealer took it right in and removed the two front wheels for balance and one was out of balance . Fixed that ąnd reinstalled then retested OK Sg tilL got. T he problem but. Is definitely temperature related.
    I have similar issue on my 2011 RT LTD and has been in shop for several weeks (told him I was in no hurry so they are taking their time which is OK with me at this time of year). Service manager has had it out testing a few times, but the weather has been bad for a week and he could not take out. He has had it happen to him once, but can't get it to replicate consistently. He has checked suspension and not found any problems.

I do have Ride-On in the tires so unless that is the problem they should balance automatically. I mainly notice it after about 3-5 miles down the road and very rarely after that. It is NOT the auto balance that you feel from the Ride-On when it has not been riden for awhile. I know that sensation which I would describe more as an up and down vibration but settles in quickly after about 1/2 mile. This is definitely a wobble with the whole front tire/fender unit shaking side to side.

He thinks it is related to the Elka's and the almost 2" rise that the Elka's raise the suspension. (I think he is grasping for an answer and since these are not factory it must be so!). He indicated he was calling Elka this week, but I doubt that will provide any answer.

Part of the problem is it is not consistant in getting it to happen. When it does it really becomes a problem.

Any previous posters get confirmed solution to this problem?
    HokieV

2015 RTS Intense Red Pearl (New Jan. 2016) - Comfort Heated Seat w/Backrest, Custom Dynamics HMT Brake Light, superbrightled.com Brake Light Strobe, TricLED fender lights w/Blinker Module & Turn Signal Strips, Stebel Nautilus Horn, FOBO TPMS, Spydercuff, Dual USB outlet, Bike Barn.

Previous - 2011 RT Limited.

GOS member (Girls On Spyders)
    Spyder Garage

Okay, may have absolutely no relationship but I was having the same problem with the front end wobble at around 45 MPH (2010 RT A&C). Had the Elkas installed and we were thinking might have something to do with it when lo and behold, my "back" shock was absolutely shot at just under 11,000 miles and the airbag was reading 0 PSI. Replaced the back shock, pumped up the airbag to a respectable 30 (I think) PSI and no front end wobble since. Admittedly, only about 600 miles since then what with the winter weather but it was pronounced and almost 100% constant before the repair and nothing since. Waiting for warmer spring weather to give it another try. Just my 2 cents on the conversation.

Diana

Spyder Garage

Default RT front end wobble

I too have the "front end wobble" between 42 & 48 mph.
    My Dealer has worked long and hard to determine the problem and solution(7 weeks). The Dealer has switched tires and wheels with a brand new unit, replaced the steering angle sensor, replaced the DPS, and replaced all 4 ball joints as well as
    realigning the front end several times. The problem is better but not completely repaired. Originally the "wobble" occurred almost every time speed hit 42 mph. Since all of the service work it now happens very infrequently
    (4 or 5 times in 200 miles).
    I have Elkas all the way around and about 3500 miles total on my RTS. The "wobble" is still there but much improved.
    My next attempt to fix is BajaRon's sway bar as soon as there in stock again.
    KYSPYDER

Indian Land, SC (30 miles S of Charlotte, NC) was Spotsylvania, VA
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dmdahnert View Post
    Okay, may have absolutely no relationship but I was having the same problem with the front end wobble at around 45 MPH (2010 RT A&C). Had the Elkas installed and we were thinking might have something to do with it when lo and behold, my "back" shock was absolutely shot at just under 11,000 miles and the airbag was reading 0 PSI. Replaced the back shock, pumped up the airbag to a respectable 30 (I think) PSI and no front end wobble since. Admittedly, only about 600 miles since then what with the winter weather but it was pronounced and almost 100% constant before the repair and nothing since. Waiting for warmer spring weather to give it another try. Just my 2 cents on the conversation.

Diana
    I have the Elka rear shock as well so not likely the problem in my case. (unless it is the Elka's which I don't think it is)
    HokieV

2015 RTS Intense Red Pearl (New Jan. 2016) - Comfort Heated Seat w/Backrest, Custom Dynamics HMT Brake Light, superbrightled.com Brake Light Strobe, TricLED fender lights w/Blinker Module & Turn Signal Strips, Stebel Nautilus Horn, FOBO TPMS, Spydercuff, Dual USB outlet, Bike Barn.

Previous - 2011 RT Limited.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Ledford View Post
    I have the same thing my dealer took it right in and removed the two front wheels for balance and one was out of balance . Fixed that ąnd reinstalled then retested OK Sg tilL got. T he problem but. Is definitely temperatūre related.
    Since it hassle been warm no recurring wobble

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default UPDATE TIREES WOBBLING

[QUOTE=Bob Ledford;562804]I have the same thing my dealer took it right in and removed the two front wheels for balance and one was out of balance . Fixed that ąnd reinstalled then retested OK Sg tilL got. T he problem but. Is definitely temperatūre related.[/QUOTESine it has been warm no recurring wobble or bounce of the front end

Spyder Garage

Wanted to try and see if anyone has more suggestions on solving this issue. I have had this problem since my RT was new. Going to talk to the dealer again but wanted to see if others have found a solution. Only happens during the 41 to 44 mph range and then smooths out???

2012 Spyder RT Limited
    Guardian Bell (gift from son)
    Spyderpops bumpskid
    ISCI hand brake
    BajaRon Anti-Sway Bar
    BRP Adjustable Wind Deflectors

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ABQAndy View Post
    Wanted to try and see if anyone has more suggestions on solving this issue. I have had this problem since my RT was new. Going to talk to the dealer again but wanted to see if others have found a solution. Only happens during the 41 to 44 mph range and then smooths out???
    I had the same exact problem develop after about 5k miles. Tried Ride-On but that didn't help. Had the wheels balaced twice but still had the wobble around 45 mph. Replaced the front tires and the Spyder has been wobble free since.
    MODS: Elka Shocks, ESI RT HMT Brake Light, ESI RT Brightsides, ESI Fender TIPS, ESI RIPS, ESI RT Day Runners, Grip Puppies
    AmerSeal Sealant, KewlMetal Kewlock, Scorpio I900 Security System, Stebel Nautilus air horn, KewlMetal Highway Brackets & ISO Wings
    Corbin seat, trunkrest & driver backrest, Capt.Jim's Belt Tensioner, SpyderPops LaBlock, Cat Shields, Bumpskid & Belt Guard
    Seal PUP Floorboards, BRP chrome, Ron's Anti-Sway Bar, Lamonster LED Head/Fog Lights & BRP Air Scoops
    2011 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ABQAndy View Post
    It takes old-fashioned investigation by an experienced and dedicated technician (or owner). Check the wheels to see if they run true, both axially and laterally, both inside and outside rims of each wheel. Untrue wheels must be replaced. Check the wheel bearings, and replace any with problems. Check the tires to see if the tread runs true. Best checked on a spin truing machine, but it can be done on the vehicle or on a wheel truing stand or balancing machine. Tire treads can be trued sometimes by shaving the tire, but the tires may need to be replaced if a tire defect is at fault or the tread is thin. Spin balance the tires and check to see they haven't changed. If any have excessive weight to balance them, they should probably be replaced. If the tires have Ride-On or another balancing/sealing material in them, that could be the problem. Improper quantities of the material, or tire defects or irregularities, can cause them to create rather than fix an imbalance. Cold tires or tires that have rested a long time will often be imbalanced by the liquid until you do a few highway miles. This causes a "wobble" if the imbalance points hit the ground at different times, and even can cause a wheel hop effect. In some cases removing the substance will improve things, and in some the tires have to be replaced. Note that wheel alignment issues can enhance imbalance or runout problems, and increase the perception of "wobble". Checking alignment is a good idea in stubborn cases. You may have multiple factors involved, which will make finding the cause very difficult. In those cases it is best to swap wheels and tires with a known good vehicle. If the problem is then gone, both the wheels and tires may have to be replaced.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Excellent suggestions, thanks for the tips, I will see if the dealer will help me with these possible solutions.

2012 Spyder RT Limited
    Spyderpops bumpskid
    ISCI hand brake
    BajaRon Anti-Sway Bar

Spyder Garage

I had the same problem on my 2010 RT-S which happened suddenly on a week long trip. Stopped at a dealer while on my trip and they left some air out of my front tires and said everything felt alright. A few miles down the road it still felt the same as it did before. Got it home to my dealer in PA and they tried everything with the front end, what my problem was in the back sprocket. I had a small stone in my back sprocket which caused a vibration through the frame to the front end causing a bad wobble at 38-42 mph. Never would have thought to look at the rear for a front end wobble.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 010 Black RTS View Post
    I had the same problem on my 2010 RT-S which happened suddenly on a week long trip. Stopped at a dealer while on my trip and they left some air out of my front tires and said everything felt alright. A few miles down the road it still felt the same as it did before. Got it home to my dealer in PA and they tried everything with the front end, what my problem was in the back sprocket. I had a small stone in my back sprocket which caused a vibration through the frame to the front end causing a bad wobble at 38-42 mph. Never would have thought to look at the rear for a front end wobble.
    Now that is an odd one, who would have thunk it

2012 Spyder RT Limited
    Spyderpops bumpskid
    ISCI hand brake
    BajaRon Anti-Sway Bar

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Update front end wobble

Since my last post the front end tires have not thrown a temper tantrum either hot or cold. The biggest change was that I have gotten a new tire. Gauge and increased tire pressure to 18PSIG.

My next challenge is to try to eliminate wandering all over the road It wants to follow the road contours despite what I want it to do... So we are going to have the alignment checked on Friday morning...... Stay tuned in for the results!

Spyder Garage

Had that problem in my F4D. The stick shaker would raise sand when my airspeed got too low.

I don't seem to have the problem on my 2012/2010 RTS but will pay attention next time I'm on the road.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dmdahnert View Post

Diana
    I have zero pressure in my air bag and Elka,s and it happens about 38-42 MPH once or twice an outing for a second or 2 at most and seems to be in the same places in my ride BUT it only happens if I have let OFF the throttle AND whenever I have throttle being applied it NEVER happens .
    Its steady as "No Hands on Cruise" at 70 MPH or whenever the throttle is being applied?
    Gotta find a fix to the air bag first ?

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Sarge, have you tried to air up the bag and see if it holds??? It may be the air pump itself. Just my 2cents worth.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards