Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Other exhausts

Spyder Garage

Default Other exhausts

It seems as far as spyder goes hindle grabbed the official backing from brp while twobros seemed first to be to the market for an aftermarket exhaust and gained a lot of support. I was never a fan of them in general and was looking for options and seems everyone has a preference but I haven't heard one thing about the yoshimura (not cheap) but have always made top quality stuff and have done lots of racing with Suzuki.
    has anyone mounted up their can?

Spyder Garage

Hello!

Unfortunately I have no information about the Yoshimura exhaust. But if you are looking for a high quality exhaust, I can recommend the LeoVince slip-on to you.

I have used it for approx. three years without any problems. It's not only good looking, but gains some additional hps and produces a deep, bubbling sound - not too loud!

Regards,
    Alex

Spyder Garage

Default How about this one

home made. looks good sounds good, tunable. about 70 bucks. if i was going to buy a pipe, it would be the HMF. they look good, sound good, and are fairly cheap.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    it was fun while it lasted.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm trying to find dyno comparison tests on any of these aftermarket pipes...
    (Thread in another area)
    If you guys see anything interesting...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

i had hindle, two bros single, leo vince and now have yoshimura and yoshi is my favorite.
    it has best tone but not loud as two bros. i never had silencer on my yoshi but without it, it's little louder than hindle but quieter than others.
    it looks good and very high quality construction. i got mine with a slight dent inside for $360 but you can pick carbon one up below $500 online and low $400 for stainless steel.
    6 states down 42 states to go

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage
    Love my

Statistics show that most motorcycle accidents are caused by a defective nut holding the handlbars.

Spyder Garage

Default DIY

i did a bit of alteration on the OEM, and it came out gr8...
    008.jpg011.jpg016.jpg018.jpg027.jpg i took 9 inches and most of the 'guts' out of it... leaving in the 'CAT' and it sounds terrific and i have maintained the OEM look... like all after market mufflers, you need to install them b4 u know what they sound like... every1 has their own likes, so don't blame me if u try this, and you don't like the sound... i'll post more pix, i guess this is the MAX the system will allow....

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPYD3R View Post
    008.jpg011.jpg016.jpg018.jpg027.jpg i took 9 inches and most of the 'guts' out of it... leaving in the 'CAT' and it sounds terrific and i have maintained the OEM look... like all after market mufflers, you need to install them b4 u know what they sound like... every1 has their own likes, so don't blame me if u try this, and you don't like the sound... i'll post more pix, i guess this is the MAX the system will allow....
    here's more pix:
    030.jpg032.jpg034.jpg
    016.jpg

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by elixermixer View Post
    It seems as far as spyder goes hindle grabbed the official backing from brp while twobros seemed first to be to the market for an aftermarket exhaust and gained a lot of support. I was never a fan of them in general and was looking for options and seems everyone has a preference but I haven't heard one thing about the yoshimura (not cheap) but have always made top quality stuff and have done lots of racing with Suzuki.
    has anyone mounted up their can?
    I have the Yoshimura R77 on my 2011 RSS and couldn't be happier. Carbon fiber body so it doesn't generate much heat and the low rumble it provides at idle even impresses the harley guys I ride with. Not to mention the roar when you wind up the rpm's. I've heard hindles, two bros dual and single, and HMF's (which would be my second choice) but none beat the sound of the Yoshi IMHO. AT11948191-800px-o1.jpg
    MY RIDE - 2011 RSS SE5 Alloy Orange/Matte Black
    MY MODS - Yoshimura Exhaust, BRP Comfort Seat, Fog Lights, Battery Tender, 4.5" Easy Risers, Kuryaken Iso Grips, Cal Sci XL Windshield, Cruise-mate Throttle Lock, Green Air Filter, O2 modifier, Weaver Floorboards, Baja Ron's Anti-Sway Bar, Smoothspyder Adjustable Backrest, Center LED Tail Light and Magic Brake Flasher.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Very cool man! Very cool.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You guys will have to talk him into getting the modification into production!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default D.I.Y. ROCKS

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    Very cool man! Very cool.
    I agree, SPYD3R rocks with that D.I.Y. MOD.,,Thanks for posting the guts.....I would like to know more details on the sound change tho.....I may try this MOD this winter I have an X-TRA muffler.......I am not into " LOUD " AM AN OLD X-WINGER.....Quiter is Better....Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 12-04-2012 at 12:43 AM.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by major911 View Post
    I have the Yoshimura R77 on my 2011 RSS and couldn't be happier. Carbon fiber body so it doesn't generate much heat and the low rumble it provides at idle even impresses the harley guys I ride with. Not to mention the roar when you wind up the rpm's. I've heard hindles, two bros dual and single, and HMF's (which would be my second choice) but none beat the sound of the Yoshi IMHO. AT11948191-800px-o1.jpg
    I checked out their web site and they also make them for the RT 2010 to 2012, Looks like a quality product . They are all 50 state legal and comply with noise regulations. Do you have any sound recordings . I could not find any on their site. I also e-mailed them about whether the pipe will fit with an OEM trailer hitch. Worth checking out!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I agree, SPYD3R rocks with that D.I.Y. MOD.,,Thanks for posting the guts.....I would like to know more details on the sound change tho.....I may try this MOD this winter I have an muffler.......I am not into " LOUD " AM AN OLD X-WINGER.....Quiter is Better....Mike
    at idle, it's about the same as stock, under excelleration, it sounds like a tone-down rice-rocket... more mello than harsh...
    i may try another one, and remove the 'cat' to see what i get for sound...
    SAM_0319.jpg

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Marker View Post
    I checked out their web site and they also make them for the RT 2010 to 2012, Looks like a quality product . They are all 50 state legal and comply with noise regulations. Do you have any sound recordings . I could not find any on their site. I also e-mailed them about whether the pipe will fit with an OEM trailer hitch. Worth checking out!
    I've used and seen the products on many other lines of motorcycles and they have an excellent reputation so I expect the spyder line to be just the same buuuuuuuut that ring said word of mouth counts a lot.
    major911 are you running a FI controller? If so what?

Spyder Garage

I have the Yoshi stainless pipe on my 2012 RT and coudn't be happier. It has a great sound, louder than the OEM can but quieter than either the Hindle or Two Brothers. Plus it looks classy. It also uses the 2 bolt flange and not a muffler clamp.

And the most important thing is my wife likes the sound and gave it HER approval.

Carl
    2012 White RT Limited and 2013 Yellow ST-S Think 3 .i.

Spyder Garage

Default PRODUCTION

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    You guys will have to talk him into getting the modification into production!
    PRODUCTION.... hmmmmmm...??? i don't know Bobby...
    it's a lot'a work guys... if any1 wants the info on what to do, i'm open to a phone call to help out...
    but get ready for days worth of labor... u'll need a TIG welder (please don't use MIG)... u'll need air-tools and a BIG chop saw... i figure if i had to charge to alter yours, it would be no less than $250 - $300... and i just can't bring myself to charge that amount...

more/different pix below...
    011.jpg013.jpg014.jpg015.jpg019.jpg

Spyder Garage

I'm running the Yoshimura RS-3. I've had other exhauts but I REALLY like the Yoshimura. Has everything I want and it has lasted well over 20k miles without issue.

Doesn't drone at freeway speeds
    Louder than stock but nice and mellow at idle and cruise
    Sounds meaner than any other pipe I've heard when you get on the throttle (not louder, just meaner)
    Looks great on the RS

Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up SUPERTRAPP

Hi ive had a supertrapp slip-on on my spyder for a thousand miles i like the fact that it sounds great ,was cheap and it is ajustable from make your ears bleed loud to quite mild and sounds great at any volume.

cheers mickIMG_0019.jpg
    Last edited by mick ruhdorf; 02-14-2013 at 09:55 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default silencer modification

PRODUCTION.... hmmmmmm...??? i don't know Bobby...
    it's a lot'a work guys... if any1 wants the info on what to do, i'm open to a phone call to help out...
    but get ready for days worth of labor... u'll need a TIG welder (please don't use MIG)... u'll need air-tools and a BIG chop saw... i figure if i had to charge to alter yours, it would be no less than $250 - $300... and i just can't bring myself to charge that amount...

more/different pix below...
    011.jpg013.jpg014.jpg015.jpg019.jpg
    i opened one up a few months ago when i got a replacement a friend had laying in his garage i cut the weld through at the cat along the seam of the black part and the stainless how much should i chop off the open end of the remainder and reattach ?

or maybe show some measurements where you did the actual cut and what part was removed

it looks like you removed the front part using the original end with can attached

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Marker View Post
    There are some you tube clips you can hear. just search for canam spyder yoshimura.
    MY RIDE - 2011 RSS SE5 Alloy Orange/Matte Black
    MY MODS - Yoshimura Exhaust, BRP Comfort Seat, Fog Lights, Battery Tender, 4.5" Easy Risers, Kuryaken Iso Grips, Cal Sci XL Windshield, Cruise-mate Throttle Lock, Green Air Filter, O2 modifier, Weaver Floorboards, Baja Ron's Anti-Sway Bar, Smoothspyder Adjustable Backrest, Center LED Tail Light and Magic Brake Flasher.

Spyder Garage

Default HMF on an RT ?

Has anyone used an HMF on an RT? Would it require a custom connector pipe & install?
    Last edited by cjackg; 12-09-2012 at 07:21 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by quickster47 View Post
    I have the Yoshi stainless pipe on my 2012 RT and coudn't be happier. It has a great sound, louder than the OEM can but quieter than either the Hindle or Two Brothers. Plus it looks classy. It also uses the 2 bolt flange and not a muffler clamp.

And the most important thing is my wife likes the sound and gave it HER approval.

Carl
    Any chance of seeing a couple of pics of that Yoshi on an RT ?
    Thanks,
    Jack

Very Active Member eddieshep999's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cjackg View Post
    Any chance of seeing a couple of pics of that Yoshi on an RT ?
    Thanks,
    Jack

Jack

He are some pictures of my Spyder RT-S SE5 2010 Model with the Yoshimura R77 Stainless Steel Exhaust fitted

See also

Spyder RT – Fitting-Yoshimura-R – 77 S Exhaust Slip-On-Exhaust-Muffler-to-a-Spyder-RT

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...to-a-Spyder-RT

Eddiie Sheppard
    Reading UK

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tx web rider View Post
    i opened one up a few months ago when i got a replacement a friend had laying in his garage i cut the weld through at the cat along the seam of the black part and the stainless how much should i chop off the open end of the remainder and reattach ?

or maybe show some measurements where you did the actual cut and what part was removed

it looks like you removed the front part using the original end with can attached

I DID THE LATERAL CUTS TO OPEN up a window so that i could view the entire internal workings of this muffler. Now that i know what's inside, i would NOT do that again... 1st: drill out the retaining rivets that holds the support strap on... then i'd cut circumferencially along the forward end of the forward weld, penetrating no more than 1/8" deep. should you go deeper, you will cut into the 'cat' casting - not a good thing. then the next cut can be accomplished with a chop saw, a big one... depending on what you are looking for - from initial cut at the front end, measure toward the aft end and using the chop saw, cut her in 2... on mine, i removed 9" total, i'll do 12" next time. once you have the muffler parted, you need to remove all the material that is behind your 1st cut. leave or remove the cat - i kept mine in... once you have the forward end cleaned up, you'll need to remove whatever is in the way of reconnecting the now aft end to the forward end. the cat will enfluence what needs to be removed should you decide to retain it. there is no 'given' as to what to remove - it's up to you... once everything is cleaned out, you'll now need to use a die-grinder with a 3" cut-off wheel and go into the openned end of aft end and remove 1/2" deep of the liner, which is just on the inside of the outter shell... this will allow you to butt the outter shell to the housing where the cat is located... if you need to remove more on the liner, do so until you have a snug fit to the cat casting. once you accomplish this 'fit'... it's time to TIG weld the 2 pieces into 1... upon completion, go to Walmarts, buy a can of BBQ GRILL paint (black) and tape off what you don't want 'black' and spray 2 coats... INSTALL... ENJOY....
    NOTE: b4 u start any cutting, get a marker and draw 'alignment' marks in no less than 2 places along the muffler, 180 deg. apposed... wear safety equipment when using tools... good luck, let me know how you made out...
    Dan P
    Easley, SC
    SAM_0321.jpg