Spyder Garage

Default Document a Ryde??

With some good luck I will be buying my first Re~Gifted next week. From there I will be going on a long journey through 4 states; Utah, Arizona, New Mexico and into Texas to visit an old friend for a few days. There I will add a few Mods I have purchased from our friends here in land. Once they are installed I am off again leaving Texas heading for Oregon. There are many stops on the way and maybe meet a few ryders.

I will be taking many pictures on the way. Some stops I have earmarked; Grand Canyon, Pacific Coast Highway, Giant Redwood Forests, possibly Oregon Caves, and a host of others scenic spots on the way.

If anyone is interested in meeting up for a snack or a short ride somewhere, PM me and maybe we can work out some details??

My itinery is a little flexable.
    Dec 3 fly into Salt Lake City. look at the I want to buy.
    Dec 4 after details all settled and a little cruise comes a good nights rest. I hope the 14 hour flight has not taken it toll on me.
    Dec 5 early morning off and ryding for Grand Canyon and on to Texas.
    Dec 6 arrive in Dallas FW to see friend and add the waiting Mods
    Dec 10 ~ 11 heading for California Coast line some where just north of L.A.

How to document this ride other than a few dozen picture?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MrLooney View Post
    With some good luck I will be buying my first Re~Gifted next week. From there I will be going on a long journey through 4 states; Utah, Arizona, New Mexico and into Texas to visit an old friend for a few days. There I will add a few Mods I have purchased from our friends here in land. Once they are installed I am off again leaving Texas heading for Oregon. There are many stops on the way and maybe meet a few ryders.

I will be taking many pictures on the way. Some stops I have earmarked; Grand Canyon, Pacific Coast Highway, Giant Redwood Forests, possibly Oregon Caves, and a host of others scenic spots on the way.

If anyone is interested in meeting up for a snack or a short ride somewhere, PM me and maybe we can work out some details??

My itinery is a little flexable.
    Dec 3 fly into Salt Lake City. look at the I want to buy.
    Dec 4 after details all settled and a little cruise comes a good nights rest. I hope the 14 hour flight has not taken it toll on me.
    Dec 5 early morning off and ryding for Grand Canyon and on to Texas.
    Dec 6 arrive in Dallas FW to see friend and add the waiting Mods
    Dec 10 ~ 11 heading for California Coast line some where just north of L.A.

How to document this ride other than a few dozen picture?

I would certainly do a thourough check-out of that Spyder before I set out on a multiple state ride.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Go Pro is a choice for camera.

I use a Drift. The drift has a remote control.

Also, if you have a GPS that allows uploading the covered track.

My rides typically have some pictures, some video from the drift and the GPS track.
    For GARMIN, the GPS track allows you to follow your route in Google Earth, and you can sometimes pick up some photos of things you saw but didn't record.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That is a pretty ambitious itinerary you've got planned. If you come through Las Vegas send me a PM and we can possibly go for a ride.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default MrLooney

Yes it is ambitious.. I am up to it, Just hope the bike will be too!! I will keep Las Vegas in mind as it is not all that far off the main highway I will be on from DFW to LA.

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    That is a pretty ambitious itinerary you've got planned. If you come through Las Vegas send me a PM and we can possibly go for a ride.

Spyder Garage

not a good time of year to try what you plane to do this is winter cold rain big snows.very bad weather,strong winds,moore snow,not good.and on an open air spyder just a rough time to do what you are trying to do.

Spyder Garage

Default Bad Weater?

At this point there is no snow on the ground in Utah. Heading south to Grand Canyon there could be?? Once I spent the night in Indian Springs GC with friends ...... 2 guys and 2 wool blankets, woke up to over an inch of snow then hiked out..

HHHHUUUUMMM Aint you got any KAHUNNAS for such a feat? You sound so CHINESE to me!! Now I could see where snow drifts over your head will be a deterant and a time for hot coffee. Any one know where I can get a set of studded tires and chains? HA HA
    There is more than one speed on these and with long underwear and rain coat to start and in Dallas FW is a BajaRon Thermal Jump Suit waiting. I should be OK for the most part...... how ever if I should surcome to the cold there are a number of hotels on the way. My biggest concern is a malfunction on my

Quote Originally Posted by napper39 View Post
    not a good time of year to try what you plane to do this is winter cold rain big snows.very bad weather,strong winds,moore snow,not good.and on an open air spyder just a rough time to do what you are trying to do.

Spyder Garage

Have a safe trip.............maybe make a listing of all the dealers along your route in case of any emergency

Spyder: 2011 RT Limited w/ RT-622 trailer
    Mods: ESI Brightsides, RT Rear Brightsides, HMT Brake Light, Scuff Guards, Utopia Backrest, Chrome, and more Chrome, Pearl White Rear View Mirrors, Rear Fender, and Dashboard, Black Rear Wheel and Belt Assy, SpyderPops Heat Shields & Bump Skid, Elka Stage 1+ Shocks, 2012 SF Graphics, Silver Carbonfiber Dash, Corbin Arm Rests, Baker A.W., BRP Vented WindShield. BR's Sway Bar, Tricled White Halo Lights, BadBoy Air Horn, Spyder Legs Floor Boards

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I am also concerned about the itinerary after a 14 hour flight. Jet lag is worst when flying east. When I flew to the UK, I stayed awake as long as I possibly could then went to bed. I woke up at 10, dressed and went out to start sight-seeing. That's when I realized it was 10 pm! From Chona, your day and night are going to be mixed up. Give yourself plenty of time.

Also, about the winter weather, the Grand Canyon is at high altitude so it will have snow. I'd advise moving to low altitide and south as soon as you can on your way to Dallas.

That said, I can't wait to hear your trip reports. Have fun.
    Last edited by PrairieSpyder; 12-02-2012 at 11:33 AM.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've got no travelling tips for you; but I want to wish you a safe and fun-filled trip!
    We'll all want to see your pictures too!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Bad Weater?

Weather is a concern of mine too, Still I am looking forward to this journey.. the has about 2000 miles on it and first check up. So I hope all goes well with it.

If the weather gets nasty, I am prepared to keep warm, but still that does not lend any assurance to how well the bike will perform in ice and snow.. Snow is not so bad. I will error on the safe side rather than pushing into the late night hours.

It would be nice to see the Grand Canyon again, weather permitting. In any case I have a short month to get up to Oregon.

I will be checking in on the way and make some comments. As for pics thats another story I have to work on how do to..
    Last edited by MrLooney; 12-02-2012 at 09:53 AM.

...in the pink (Girls On Spyders) flamingobabe's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Good luck on your journey...keep a journal for everyday travels...helps remember it like it was yesterday...mileage start and finsh for each day....list roads traveled places stopped...etc....just remember when you arrive at the intersection and one way has dark skys and the other way blue skys...go for the blue....be safe my friend...enjoy...beautiful roads out there

#IamARyder #RideASpyder #CanAmSpyder

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GloryRyders View Post
    Have a safe trip.............maybe make a listing of all the dealers along your route in case of any emergency

Best tip yet!!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Make sure you buy warranty w/ towing on your spyder, prices out there are high. this past summer I paid 190.00 for a roll-back to haul the bike less than 10 mile.....................

Spyder Garage

No travel tips from me either. You are in charge, so just be careful if you run into any of that bad weather. IMO: the does not like snow or ice and you have to be extra careful if you encounter it.

I am looking forward to pictures and your travelog.

Have a safe and enjoyable journey.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

A GoPro is the best its water proof takes great video and pics!! Mine is on my right mirror east to take pics or video
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2012 RT Limited. Flag graphics, Lower vader wings LEDs, Lower day runner LEDs, Uper turn signal LEDs, Tip LEDs, Finder strip LEDs, Mud flap running an turn LEDs, Inside morrirs turn LEDs, 3-4 brake LEDs, Blue LEDs top under dash, Cup hollders, Large foot rest, HWY foot rest, K&N air flter, GloRyders with remote, Elka shocks 1+R, Soomthspyder, GoPro Hero3, BRP hitch, Diamond shadow trailer.

Spyder Garage

I also reccomend the GoPro, I used it on my ryde/challenge on the way back from SpyderFest last year in Colorado. If you do go that route, I recommend a couple 32GB memory cards, the 12V recepticle (if your getting an rs, its not installed yet), and 2-3 batteries so that one can recharge while you're filming with one on standby. Then every night or 2 change out memory cards or load the videos onto a laptop.

Also, Gerbings. Since you're riding in potentially cold weather, I highly recommend at least getting Gerbings Gloves/Glove liners, and Heated socks/pants. I survives a 50 degree night by having these during my ironbutt challenge.

Last but not least, spare fuel jug. I bought mine at walmart and is just $10, and is ventless (doesn't leak and won't fill storage space with fuel smell), there's also one for about 30-35 that's formed to fit saddlebags. You can find them by searching the forums.

Other than that, read up on Fred Rau's articles and book to take an experts tip for long distance riding.
    RS - 55K+ miles, F3 - 200 miles and counting.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Dry winter out west

Weather - It might be cold but there hasn't been much snow. Some fell in SLC a couple of weeks ago but is probably gone by now. You may be delayed by ice/snow a day or so; but with the drought it doesn't stick around. Obviously as you go south the snow chances will decrease.

24hrs to get from SLC to DFW is pretty ambitious, taking into account possible weather delay. Although if you are hard core, you could register this trip as an iron butt ride with the IBA as it will be over 1000 mi. Taking fuel with you is a good idea, given the vast expanses of nothing out west.
    Last edited by asp125; 12-04-2012 at 10:59 AM.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow