Spyder Garage

Default Almost torched the bike! Huge leak in upper right side.

It all started with a coolant leak; a pinprick that shot coolant out onto the front cylinder. Dealership needed to verify to process warranty action. I decided to help by removing all forward tupperware to show them the reservoir leak upon my arrival.

While pulling out of the garage for my hour ride, I noticed a strong fuel order and as I pulled out into the sunshine, a grey cloud rose to my right. I shut the ignition and scrambled off the bike. There is a shiny metal canister next to the right knee that appears to be a fuel filter. Both ends seem to be crimped in the middle. Fuel pours out the middle when the system is pressurized.

If I hadn't had the tupperware removed at the time, who knows what would have happened.

Now I'm waiting to see what the dealership has to say.

I recall seeing an RS last year that had been torched, and it seemed the fire had originated in the same area. Does anyone have any news on this issue? Are there any questions I should be asking that are not readily apparent?

Spyder Garage

There have been some RS fires reported on here over the last couple years. Not recently, that I can remember though. I do not believe they ever came to an actual conclusion regarding product liability.

Others will have more complete information.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

That is, indeed, your fuel filter. Glad you noticed the problem before it toasted your marshmallows. Simple fix, the dealer should be able to handle it, or you can do it yourself if you have the proper crimping pliers for the full-seal Oetiker clamps.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Scotty,
    Could you please give us a little back of background on "Proper Crimpling Pliers" and "full-Seal Oetiker Clamps"?
    You lost me...
    But that ain't a tough chore to accomplish anyway!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Scotty,
    Could you please give us a little back of background on "Proper Crimpling Pliers" and "full-Seal Oetiker Clamps"?
    You lost me...
    But that ain't a tough chore to accomplish anyway!
    The standard hose clamps on most of the Spyder are Oetiker clamps. They are a complete circle, with a raised section that is pinched together to tighten the clamp. They are often used on the production line, because they can be installed by machines, but there are other advantages. There is a wide variety of specific applications, but they come in two basic types. One type is a basic circle, with a raised section to crimp and clamp. That section does not press tightly against the hose. The other type has an additional strap across the clamp area, allowing full contact with the hose. That is a Full-contact Oetiker. The crimping priers are much like tile nippers. They have jaws that are beveled, allowing them to fit in the small recess in the raised section, and apply even pressure across the clamping area, crimping the raised section uniformly and quite tightly if the correct size clamp is used. The clamps come in small increments of sizes, because there is not a large reduction in diameter when they are crimped. Here endeth the lesson...
    -Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    The standard hose clamps on most of the Spyder are Oetiker clamps. They are a complete circle, with a raised section that is pinched together to tighten the clamp. They are often used on the production line, because they can be installed by machines, but there are other advantages. There is a wide variety of specific applications, but they come in two basic types. One type is a basic circle, with a raised section to crimp and clamp. That section does not press tightly against the hose. The other type has an additional strap across the clamp area, allowing full contact with the hose. That is a Full-contact Oetiker. The crimping priers are much like tile nippers. They have jaws that are beveled, allowing them to fit in the small recess in the raised section, and apply even pressure across the clamping area, crimping the raised section uniformly and quite tightly if the correct size clamp is used. The clamps come in small increments of sizes, because there is not a large reduction in diameter when they are crimped. Here endeth the lesson...

ata = allergic to asphalt

My mods: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ead.php?t=5753
    There are two kinds of people: (1) those who can read, reason and apply the experiences of others; and (2) those who just have to pee on the electric fence. ataDude, 2009

My Spyder:

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ataDude View Post

Where do you get one of these pliers??? I hate them little clamps with a passion..

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bumblebee67 View Post

Where do you get one of these pliers??? I hate them little clamps with a passion..

http://www.mcmaster.com/#clamping-pliers/=ke8jqc

Down toward the bottom along the left side. About $30

Spyder Garage

Just asking but WHY would you stay with this type of clamp instead of changing them out as they fail to worm gear screw type clamps???
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IGETAROUND View Post
    Just asking but WHY would you stay with this type of clamp instead of changing them out as they fail to worm gear screw type clamps???
    Worm screw clamps do not put even pressure on the hose. On a fuel line, that can lead to dangerous leaks.

BTW, thak you AtaDude for the picture. It was worth 1,000 words!
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Default It's been a long afternoon.

Drove down to the dealer (they had a fuel filter in stock), and took it home. The Oetiker clamps were a PITA to remove. I replaced the Oetiker's with alligator clamps, and discovered a small leak on the tank-side of the filter. I had to cut off about 1/8" of the hose. Re-installation checks were good.

Question Scotty: Do you think I should have the dealer change the clamps tomorrow again for the Oetiker's?

As far as the coolant leak, I saw the new re-enforced tank tonight and they will install it tomorrow, as I wait.

Kudos to Coleman PowerSports in Woodbridge!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    BTW, thak you AtaDude for the picture. It was worth 1,000 words!
    And thanks for stopping by.......miss your post.......and the little bug

....and we're gonna ride, we're gonna ride.....

ride like the one-eyed Jack of Diamonds, with
    the devil close behind,.....we're gonna ride....

2008 GS.....PE # 2888

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Scotty,
    I "thanketh" you for the lesson...
    Dude,
    GREAT picture that brought all of the lesson into focus!

Although that dang little bug STILL makes me itchy!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Yeesh!

Glad you made it out okay... toasting your bike would NOT be fun.
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mooneych View Post
    Drove down to the dealer (they had a fuel filter in stock), and took it home. The Oetiker clamps were a PITA to remove. I replaced the Oetiker's with alligator clamps, and discovered a small leak on the tank-side of the filter. I had to cut off about 1/8" of the hose. Re-installation checks were good.

Question Scotty: Do you think I should have the dealer change the clamps tomorrow again for the Oetiker's?

As far as the coolant leak, I saw the new re-enforced tank tonight and they will install it tomorrow, as I wait.

Kudos to Coleman PowerSports in Woodbridge!!
    The alligator (pinch) clamps do pretty well on suction lines, but as you have seen, they don't necessarily like pressurized systems...especially if they are just a smidgen too big for the hose. Worm clamps are safer, but can leak at the rigid mechanism if the clamp isn't closely sized to the hose. Oetiker clamps also need to be very carefully sized, but the BRP fuel filter comes with them. They do need to have the correct type of pliers for tightening them. Trying to substitute diagonal pliers (side-cutters) or something similar does not put even pressure on the crimp, and can lead to huge problems, including clamp failure. That's not so good on a fuel system! If I didn't have access to the correct pliers or some (dull) tile nippers, I'd probably go with some mini worm clamps, or back up the pinch clamps with worm clamps.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Worm clamps, or more commonly refered to as hose clamps, do work well on some hoses. The main issue is they tend to get over tightened forcing the rubber out through the screw holes. They can also be placed too far back on the hose, allowing the hose end to flare out leading to a leak. They will loosen over time from heating and cooling. As with any clamp, proper sizing, placement and torquing is the key to a leak free hose. Best to stay with the OEM, IMHO.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

There are screw clamps made specifically for fuel injection.....don't use the wrong ones! Here's a link:

http://www.gates.com/europe/brochure...cation_id=2959
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If your going to do fuel system repairs yourself buy the correct Oetiker tool and the clamps. IMHO using worm, hose, pinch clamps of any kind on a fuel injection system is not a good idea. Oetiker clamps are kind of a pain initially, but once you've used them a few times it's really no big deal.

It also gives you a good reason to buy and add a new tool to the toolbox!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyryder View Post
    There are screw clamps made specifically for fuel injection.....don't use the wrong ones! Here's a link:

http://www.gates.com/europe/brochure...cation_id=2959
    If you are going to use a screw clamp with fuel injection, these are the best. Again, the proper size is critical.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Reverse's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have just discovered a couple of days ago when I got my Spyder out to ryde after it sat in the garage for several weeks there was a wide stain on the concrete. I put cardboard under it and today when I pulled it I could tell some type of fluid leaked onto the cardboard. I put it back under and pulled it about 5-10 minutes later and had kind of a green colored droplets on it. Is this similar to what yours was doing?

Spyder Garage

I am always worried about the chance of a fire. Every time I pull into my garage and park, there is a strong odor of gas coming from my spyder. I have looked everything over pretty good and can't find the source of the smell. I have seen others comment on the gas smell. Is this just normal for a spyder?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Reverse View Post
    I have just discovered a couple of days ago when I got my Spyder out to ryde after it sat in the garage for several weeks there was a wide stain on the concrete. I put cardboard under it and today when I pulled it I could tell some type of fluid leaked onto the cardboard. I put it back under and pulled it about 5-10 minutes later and had kind of a green colored droplets on it. Is this similar to what yours was doing?
    That is coolant. If your cap is tight (turned to the second detent), see your dealer. ...and check the coolant level before you ride!
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Reverse's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thanks, the dealer is 3 hrs away :-(

Spyder Garage

Default hose clamps

recommend using worm clamps designed for fuel injection connections, the clamp's strap wraps in the inside allowing for even pressure. major advantage is that you can tighten as the rubber of the hose shrinks with age. i replace all oetikers at the first sign of seapege. easy check: with engine running and systems pressurized, wiggle hoses and check for seapege.