Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    I use an unswitched Powerlet (BMW-type) outlet for charging on Nancy's GS. You can also charge through a heated gear coax harness (pigtail) with an adapter available from Powerlet.
    My missus keeps the lead for her heated vest coiled up in her left pocket, she gets on the trike and is able to plug into the waiting socket one-handed, it's so easy. Unplugging is just as simple but she has to remember to do it before she dismounts. However, a couple of times she has forgotten and because the socket is vertically mounted the wiring to the plug has been damaged. In a forgetful frame of mind a Powerlet lead would be an advantage, the plug and socket would fly apart without doing any harm and my missus wouldn't lose any more of her teeth! (British humor).

2011 RT-S SE5, Acumen Tempest Cat-1 Alarm, SmoothSpyder Belt Tensioner,
    Autocom Super Pro Auto, Garmin Zumo 550 BT, 10amp Socket, Front Fender LED's,
    Grip Puppies, Spyderpop Belt Guard, Nautilus Horn, Shortee Antenna, BajaRon's Swaybar,
    Cree LED Day Running Lights.

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Spydee8's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for the info!! I really impressed my hubby with the knowledge shared here, about using the cigarette outlet in the trunk. But, I came clean, and told him where I learned so much!! Good news was it came with the battery tender, but he hadn't even looked at it. Now Spydee is connected to the battery tender in the garage, and it wasn't a hassle.

Dee

Spyder Garage

For those who connect a remote plug directly to the battery please don't forget to connect an inline fuse close to the battery connections. In a case where the wires may rub a bare spot and short out, the fuse will blow and prevent further damage to the bike and the electronics on the bike. As long as it's close to the battery connection point it can protect all of the wiring from that point.

2012 RT Limited (White)
    Tricled fenderz, 3rd and 4th brake lights, mirror mounted rear signals and tip lights. HID head and fog lights. Smooth Spyder. Bajaron Swaybar

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for a very important reminder!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default it works great τΏτ

until this string , i never knew there was such a thing as a cigarette charger. my tender is a 1 amp and low and behold it has a disconnect for another hook up. i puchased the cigarette plug adapter and it works great !!! the only thing i am worried about is if 1 amp can hurt the wiring in the cigarette plug adapter or is 1 amp ok for extended use for a whole winter....
    gary (τΏτ)

2010 can am spyder RTS-SE5 limited... #0058
    timeless black
    lighting by .......Big Dog Productions
    pin striping by..Letterfly
    exhaust by.......Spyder1attitude
    strobe brake lights by...Custom Dynamics
    K & N air filter

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kinggeek View Post
    Battery tender cigarette lighter adapter http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender...battery+tender
    One short trip up to the local Batteries Plus store and I had one. Didn't have to deal with shipping...and waiting.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rock View Post
    until this string , i never knew there was such a thing as a cigarette charger. my tender is a 1 amp and low and behold it has a disconnect for another hook up. i puchased the cigarette plug adapter and it works great !!! the only thing i am worried about is if 1 amp can hurt the wiring in the cigarette plug adapter or is 1 amp ok for extended use for a whole winter....
    You should be fine. I saw on another post a while back, the circuit is rated for 3 amp.
    I am not an expert on this issue, however have had my tendor junior plugged in now for 3 mo now with no issues.
    Maybe some sparky out there could provide and expert opinion on the Spyder wiring to the rear 12 volt plug.
    2012 RT Limited: Utopia back rest, SealBoards, and Shark bluetooth communicators on VCAN Woody helmets.

Very Active Member Desert Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

That plug in in the rear trunk is a direct connect to the battery. Its where my tender is plugged in. Just have to remember to disconnect the extension cord before moving the bike. I haven't done it but will anything happen if you try starting with the tender still hot? Speaking of extensions I bought a 12V extension with the plug and socket and routed it through the lid hinge to under the seat to the glove box (should be called a change box because no gloves will fit in that thing). Now I can power up my iPhone and iPad the simple way.
    Happy Spyder Owner
    States visited on the Spyder.
    And if we live life without a passion, then we're not living.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rock View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fusionfool View Post
    You should be fine. I saw on another post a while back, the circuit is rated for 3 amp.
    I am not an expert on this issue, however have had my tendor junior plugged in now for 3 mo now with no issues.
    Maybe some sparky out there could provide and expert opinion on the Spyder wiring to the rear 12 volt plug.
    The RT outlet is actuallywired and fused for 10 amps. The optional RS outlet is 3 amps, but it is usually connected as a switched outlet, so won't work for charging like the RT outlet.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

I have a question regarding the RT plug in the trunk. After reading all of the comments.... are you indicating the plug in the trunk on the RT is hot all the time. In other words if I have my Iphone plugged in and the bike is turned off, it is still drawing power and charging? Thanks.

SpyderLady

Registered Users JJW SpyderRider's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderLady View Post
    I have a question regarding the RT plug in the trunk. After reading all of the comments.... are you indicating the plug in the trunk on the RT is hot all the time. In other words if I have my Iphone plugged in and the bike is turned off, it is still drawing power and charging? Thanks.
    Yes, this outlet is hot all the time. The RS outlet in the frunk would turn off after a delay once the switch is turned off the RT does not.

RT-S: HMT brake light, mud flap lights/turn signals, Trailer hitch, Garmin 660 GPS, Ride-On, Travel cover, LED Mirror turn signals, LED trunk lighting, RGB ground effect lighting, BajRon anti-sway bar, to be continued ......

Member of the WSR (Woodstock Spyder Riders)