Spyder Garage

Default VSS Intervention

My VSS light can on every once in a while and then it reset it self.
    Now the light stays on, The bike is working fine. Anybody have any
    ideas what might be going on?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Many possibilities. Pull up the active fault code(s) to try to pin it down. Push "MODE", "SET", and the turn signal cancel simultaneously on the RT, then release. The codes will show on the display if any are active. We can interpret them for you here, or you can look in the Service Manual if you have one. As an alternative, see your dealer. he can read both active and occurred codes via BUDS. He can also check things like the steering sensor calibration and ABS sensors in absense of any fault codes. If the VSS light stays on when the Spyder is not moving, you will probably need dealer repairs.
    Last edited by NancysToy; 11-27-2012 at 10:05 PM.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

What Nancystoy said. You might also want to check your brake fluid. The only time I have ever had a failure message it was because the brake fluid was about a teaspoon too low.

http://bobspyder.wordpress.com/
    #610 2007-2009
    #104 2012....

Spyder Garage

Default VSS intervention

I have an error code C1183

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Many possibilities. Pull up the active fault code(s) to try to pin it down. Push "MODE", "SET", and the turn signal cancel simultaneously on the RT, then release. The codes will show on the display if any are active. We can interpret them for you here, or you can look in the Service Manual if you have one. As an alternative, see your dealer. he can read both active and occurred codes via BUDS. He can also check things like the steering sensor calibration and ABS sensors in absense of any fault codes. If the VSS light stays on when the Spyder is not moving, you will probably need dealer repairs.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by crw8781 View Post
    I have an error code C1183
    C1183 = Pillion Rider Switch shorted to ground - Pillion rider switch supply voltage failure or short to GND, PRS output short to ground, or switch defect.

If you don't find a place where the wiring has been damaged and shorted you will probably need to test the switch for possible need for replacement. Not likely a blown fuse, since that would cause other, major issues.
    -Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Default VSS Intervention

Found the plug under the passenger seat lose. Reseated plug and light went out.Thanks for the information.

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    C1183 = Pillion Rider Switch shorted to ground - Pillion rider switch supply voltage failure or short to GND, PRS output short to ground, or switch defect.

If you don't find a place where the wiring has been damaged and shorted you will probably need to test the switch for possible need for replacement. Not likely a blown fuse, since that would cause other, major issues.

Spyder Garage

-Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!