Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    MOgang Member & Pyro-Man
    Spyder Garage

SpyderFest is what it is. I understand the cost issue of attending this event. I take off a weeks vacation to 'work' it. I also spend a lot of my own money to secure and transport the fireworks for this event. I wish I could give you an idea of what your cost's will be, but, no one really can. Your lifestyle is what will contribute to that cost. Just realize that those of us that put it on incurred more costs than those that attend.

MOgang member & Pyro-Lady
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by arntufun View Post
    We are in the "thinking about it" stage and was wondering if anyone has kept track of your total cost of your roundtrip Spyderfest trip ????

1. Total miles driven roundtrip
    2. Total cost of gas (to, from and riding while there)
    3. Total cost of lodging with how many nights (average cost of a room)
    4. Total cost of food
    5. Incidentals (registration of event, road tolls, ect...... (please do not include farkles purchased while there)

Is $15 hundred to 2k a realistic ballpark number for a couple ???????

A added a couple hundred extra to my total for fuel for the truck. We are thinking about loading the Spyder in the bed of the truck to make the journey because 1100 miles oneway on a Sport RS with two people might be a little much. Our major concern is 5 days worth of gear for in only the trunk so that will not allow any underwear changes for either of us. Our rain gear alone takes up 25% of the trunkspace already.

Will have to check with Len at Cowtown to see if they have a ramp to unload or a hill that I could back the truck up to. Is there hills in Cuba ?????
    "Hills in Cuba" should be "hills in Missouri" no problem there!!

Hope you will be able to join us!!!

SpyderFest 2012 was our first, and we jumped in with both feet (four) into MoGang. We are happy to be part of this group and put on the GREATEST SPYDER GATHERING in the WORLD!!

Join us!!!! You won't be disappointed!!!

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

I must have missed the part where I wrote and said......... I have to skrimp and I'm not sure if I can afford it .

Sorry, I will be more clear ........... I would like to know in advance the total cost of a Spyderfest trip from a guy that likes to pay cash instead of using credit. Is that better ???????
    Be aware that you may have to go much further afield if you avoid the use of credit cards. Not being able to make motel reservations up front can chase you down the road a way further to find a room at the last minute.

Gas costs are unknown this far in advance. The prices change too much. You can find local gas prices online, but you need to do it pretty close to the mark, and they still may change by a quarter or more the next day.

There are a few banks near Cowtown that have worked for others in unloading. They may get blocked by parked vehicles, but there are plenty of hills in that part of MO.

Motel costs may exceed campground costs and the extra fuel costs for towing. You'll have to crunch the numbers. Motel charges are generally available online.

Spyder Garage

Default Total cost of a Spyderfest trip

If you will give us just a little more time, details on Spyderfest will be posted and you will be able to plan a little better. We will be posting registration amounts, how many meals will be included with registration, etc.

Now for packing.... You can pack 1/2 of underwear needed if each day you turn it inside out and wear one pair for two days... (did I just say that?).... Lol

SpyderLady

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I must have missed the part where I wrote and said......... I have to skrimp and I'm not sure if I can afford it .

Sorry, I will be more clear ........... I would like to know in advance the total cost of a Spyderfest trip from a guy that likes to pay cash instead of using credit. Is that better ???????
    When I went to SITR this year (1856 miles round trip) I left on a Saturday, and came home on Friday. There was me and my daughter, and stayed in hotels each night. Total cost for me was a little under $1500.00, and my daughter spent about $75.00 (she did save me about $25.00 with her military discount). I paid cash for everything except for one stop at a Kmart where I did not feel like paying cash. I used my credit card for holding the room in Eureka, but paid cash once I got there. This amount included food, room, fuel, and extras. My plans was $200.00 a day. Also for the connivance of having the extra carrying ability I did not notice a big loss by pulling my trailer. I had a RS at the time.
    Is it Friday yet? ... Oh yeah, I forgot. I'm retired

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold
    2014 RT - Testing completed
    2016 F3-T Audio package - Sold

Spyder Garage

Here are what I would consider to be conservative costs per day.

Gas for Spyder: assuming 30 mpg and $4.00 per gallon gas. Each 150 miles (5 gallons) will cost you $20.00. Per day: If you go 450 miles--$60.00. 600 miles--$80.00.

Food: per person breakfast at Micky D's or similar $10.00 lunch: burger, fries, drink $10.00 to $12.00. Supper: Eat one good meal per day. $20.00 per person add another $10.00 if you are having a cocktail.

Lodging: Camping--$40 to $50 per night. Motel/Hotel $75.00 to $125.00 per night for most.

Food and Lodging prices can be cut down depending how much you want to skimp on meals or the level of luxury you are willing to stay in.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I don't feel so bad now that you mentioned 9 mpg. I thought gedtting 10 mpg with my Escalade pulling a 6 ft X 12 ft four 15" wheeled open trailer loaded with my Spyder or my HD side car was embarassing.. There's no low cost way out. Just getting to the U.S. boarder for me from Mexico City is a 2 day trip and I get stopped for speeding every once in a while. What we all need is $1.50 /gallon gas.

At 4.50 a gallon Fuel costs are giving me reservations about doing that. It would cost me around $1100.00 to tow my trailer and Spyder at 9 mpg for 2200 miles. If I leave the camper home, thats 35 hundred extra pounds I'm not hauling (I'm guessing weight, it might be more).

I could spend that extra 600 savings in fuel plus added camping fee costs and get a room for 5 nights and not have to worry about setting up camp or killing my truck.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Whatever you do don't leave your helmet on the bike overnight

$200 a day is a good start. But make sure you also budget in a t-shirt or two and a farkle for the spyder

I did the Owners Event and then the SITR in 2012 and it was about $200 a day for either ride. I packed light and paid a laundrymat $1 a pound for wash and fold service so I did not have spend 3 hours in a laundrymat which allowed me more time for rides etc

These events are truly priceless and the whole idea is to ride to them and home again so leave the truck at home, enjoy the experience...as long as you dont loose a oil plug or get a leak in the oil cooler or leave your helmet on the mirror overnight

Coming all the way from B.C Canada

Hope to see you there

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Who cares what it costs the fun and memories are PRICELESS!
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Just like with the Spyders; It's what you get out of it and not just what you've got in it that counts!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Total cost of a Spyderfest trip

I have to agree. 200 a day is usually pretty spot on. I go to a lot of different rally's and events and that is about what I usually spend.
    I haven't been to spyderfest yet and plan on it this year.
    I do go to sturgis every year and I have NEVER spent more than 4000 for two weeks... And that's for everything plus lots of shopping!!
    I usually budget around 2500 for a trip and if I have extra. I am one happy girl.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post

Quite honestly, most of my travels (vacations and business) have a budget. And in ALL cases they go over. In the case of not traveling on a (or a cage for a overnight stay) hotels and meals are the norm. Like others have said, depends on the level of comfort you are wanting. You can stay in a hotel that might look like it got stuck in the '50s or a 5 star resort. Fuel is a bit unpredicatble, since you can be in the middle of nowhere and need to fuel up and the gas price can be way over the average just because that particular station knows they can do that. You can have meals from gas stations or dine in exclusive restaurants. Your budget at the time says it all. I try not to use credit cards, but it is a necessity on travel because you never know what kind of issues you may run into: lost/forgotten items, repairs, last minute return home, etc. When I use credit cards for travel, I have them paid off ASAP. Sure, sometimes the interests creep up on you, but if you have a good bank, they can issue good rewards (in my case I get 2 to 4 times the points when I travel, then we get a free ticket, hotel stay or combination every year). JMHO

For the most part, I think I average $200 a day on MLT&E's (Meals, Lodging, Transportation and Entertainment).

arntufun

Thanks for all the feedback and the estimates for cost. We now know what we need to plan for if we decide to make the journey.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

What do you mean; "IF"?
    We're counting on you to uphold the honor of the Northeastern contingent!

Free Thinking Member
    Spyder Garage

I would like to know in advance the total cost of a Spyderfest trip from a guy that likes to pay cash instead of using credit.
    I think about $5,000.00 would cover it Randy.

I'm sorry, tell me again the route you will be taking.

Ride Forrest Ride!
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dave01 View Post
    Twinkies, RedBull and Starbucks. The Official foods of the Florida X-Press
    Don't forget theHOT chocolate

Banged Up Member
    Spyder Garage

Let me stir the pot a little. What if it's being held as has been rumored in Branson and not Cuber ?(said like Teddy Kennedy) or has that issue been settled?

Chris

Ride Forrest Ride!
    Spyder Garage

Use of credit card as opposed to cash... lost card no problem, lost cash big problem.
    card provides good expense record, cash on by a good keeper of the reciepts and time wasted in buying gas.
    Reservations for hotels, card no problem, cash big problem.

However, when card paid in full each month, that is same as cash. No interest or fees.

Ride Forrest Ride!
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MouthPiece View Post
    Let me stir the pot a little. What if it's being held as has been rumored in Branson and not Cuber ?(said like Teddy Kennedy) or has that issue been settled?

Chris
    I also have heard of that rumor... I just wonder? Does last year spyderfest indicate too many people and not enough beds in and the area of Cuba?

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by effgjamis View Post
    Use of credit card as opposed to cash... lost card no problem, lost cash big problem.
    card provides good expense record, cash on by a good keeper of the reciepts and time wasted in buying gas.
    Reservations for hotels, card no problem, cash big problem.

However, when card paid in full each month, that is same as cash. No interest or fees.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Dave mentioned Twinkies as a mandatory food item; is he holding out on us?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

When Cindi & I went to Spyders in the Adirondacks we stayed in a State campground right behind Tail of the Pups BBQ where everybody met up for the rally...something we didn't know when we booked reservations..Saved us big time money and the campground was terrific...It cost us less than $800 to make the trip as far as camping, gas, food,registrations went....Not bad for 5 days...On the other hand...Just had to have Elka's installed on mine while we were there ($550 special installed) and another $450 to get new tires and a front end alignment for my Spyder so I could make it back to Michigan pulling the trailer..(Thank God for Roberts PowerSports). I agree with most everything I've seen here...figure $200 a day and you should be good. Anyway...if you and Holly decide to go you can stop here in Michigan for the first night of traveling and stay with us for the night and continue on with us the next day...will save you lodging for the night.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default $100-$125 day is my travel budget

Last year to Spyderfest then on for a long month of NE USA/NovaScotia area...I target average for lodging of $50 nite (actual was $52.18 per nite including taxes)...rest is for fuel for Spyder and me...I eat one meal a day in restaurant..usually stay where they have a continental breakfast or grab an apple...then there is always my Starbucks latte!! I carry my own oil so not factored in my daily cash outlay. Toll roads, museums etc go under fuel/lodging line item.. Then when you have the incredible experience I had with generous Spyderlovers and their open door policy it is a double blessings..connection with awesome people and helps the budget...
    Remember if headed my way open door for all Spyderlovers..includes custom made espresso drinks (I am addicted to those as well as the Spyder)..

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by effgjamis View Post
    Use of credit card as opposed to cash... lost card no problem, lost cash big problem.....
    3 words .... A T M

arntufun

Quote Originally Posted by MouthPiece View Post

Chris

If your correct, (by Mapquest) Branson is 169 miles and 2hrs 40 min further southwest of Cuba. Does that mean Cowtown will not be the host dealer ?????
    Last edited by arntufun; 11-28-2012 at 04:29 PM.