Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    arntufun

Default Total cost of a Spyderfest trip

We are in the "thinking about it" stage and was wondering if anyone has kept track of your total cost of your roundtrip Spyderfest trip ????

1. Total miles driven roundtrip
    2. Total cost of gas (to, from and riding while there)
    3. Total cost of lodging with how many nights (average cost of a room)
    4. Total cost of food
    5. Incidentals (registration of event, road tolls, ect...... (please do not include farkles purchased while there)

Is $15 hundred to 2k a realistic ballpark number for a couple ???????

A added a couple hundred extra to my total for fuel for the truck. We are thinking about loading the Spyder in the bed of the truck to make the journey because 1100 miles oneway on a Sport RS with two people might be a little much. Our major concern is 5 days worth of gear for in only the trunk so that will not allow any underwear changes for either of us. Our rain gear alone takes up 25% of the trunkspace already.

Will have to check with Len at Cowtown to see if they have a ramp to unload or a hill that I could back the truck up to. Is there hills in Cuba ?????
    Last edited by arntufun; 11-27-2012 at 06:08 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well, if the both of you went Comando for the duration; it'd probably save enought frunkspace for some really neat souvenirs!
    Why not just fly down, buy Holly her RT, and then let her pilot you home?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Great question. I'd like to know too. Inquiring minds need to know. All I need is a ball park figure

Chris

Spyder Garage

2014 RT S SE-6 Cognac, 2014 Indian Chieftain. Retired Navy Chief

Spyder Garage

Default BUCKS per MILE

depending on your life style, a trip can cost between $100 - $200 per day...
    if you 'tent', you can get under $100 per... i'll do 600 mile per day riding my .09 RS, that equals out for about $45 per day for fuel. i sleep in motels, range: $50 - $100 per day, meals: $20 - $50 per day... i don't count 'extras' as a cost for each trip... so on the low side, it's $115, on the high side it's just shy of $200...
    enjoy your ride, and leave the truck home...

014.jpg
    PS: buy a good 'back-pack' and roll your undies really tite and fill it up, - you'll be surprised how many you can fit in that back-pack...
    Last edited by SPYD3R; 11-27-2012 at 06:41 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default bring your trailer

Why not being your trailer and camp on the way now and on the way home. Ladybug is just around the corner from Cowtown and they have a weekly rate, but the daily rate is $25. As for fuel cost you will have to look at your fuel mileage then figure $4.50 a gallon, so you know it should be less than that. How is that for a starter on your figures.

Ride Forrest Ride!
    Spyder Garage

My credit card bill was 2100. Only charges while on the spyderfest trip and return.

No farkles on the bill either,, only gas, food and lodging.

Forgot the registration fee's .. 35

so 2,135 and maybe a ho ho and twinkie
    Last edited by effgjamis; 11-28-2012 at 12:52 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

How much did you guys set aside for bail bonds?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

My estimate for your trip is $2500.00. We took 2 bike trips this year one was 2200 miles and the other was 4000 miles. We rode about 300 miles a day, averaged 27.5 miles per gallon with a loaded RT622 trailer, stayed with decent motel chains (Comfort Inn, Holiday Inn Express, etc) ate out of course and found on both trips that our total expenses came out to One dollar per mile. So with that as a starting point since you are driving a truck that may get 14 mpg I say about $1.15 per mile traveled or for your 2200 mile trip about $2500.00. Of course if you drive 16 hours a day or sleep in the truck all bets are off.

arntufun

Quote Originally Posted by Erags View Post
    Why not being your trailer and camp on the way now and on the way home. Ladybug is just around the corner from Cowtown and they have a weekly rate, but the daily rate is $25. As for fuel cost you will have to look at your fuel mileage then figure $4.50 a gallon, so you know it should be less than that. How is that for a starter on your figures.

At 4.50 a gallon Fuel costs are giving me reservations about doing that. It would cost me around $1100.00 to tow my trailer and Spyder at 9 mpg for 2200 miles. If I leave the camper home, thats 35 hundred extra pounds I'm not hauling (I'm guessing weight, it might be more).

I could spend that extra 600 savings in fuel plus added camping fee costs and get a room for 5 nights and not have to worry about setting up camp or killing my truck.
    Last edited by arntufun; 11-27-2012 at 07:22 PM.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default COST OF SPYDERFEST TRIP

SERIOUSLY, with that uber cool camper you have I bet $ 1200 at the absolute most you would need.....and since I want you to go ......because me and my Lady will be there .....I'll cover everything over $1200......How's that for a DEAL .....That's what friend's are for .....Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Erags View Post
    We stayed at LadyBug campground near CowTown for S/F 2012 and it is a great place to stay plus meet a lot of Spyder folks.

I bet your fuel cost for towing the camper would be much better if you can keep it around 55-65mph !

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator docdoru's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Going towards 170,000 miles on the 2008 RS, I made a very simplistic calculus (that proved to be right on the money): $1/1 mile. Including hotels, food, gas, events participation fees and speeding tickets.

PS: missed (for the first time) this year Spyderfest, Spyder was in the shop preparing for the FIM Bonneville Speed Trial.
    2013 "Silver Dream" GG Taurus
    2008 "Silver Dream" Spyder RS
    Einstein's theory of drag racing: Time and Speed are Relative.
    Shut up and Race!

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator docdoru's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Good lawyer.
    2013 "Silver Dream" GG Taurus
    2008 "Silver Dream" Spyder RS
    Einstein's theory of drag racing: Time and Speed are Relative.
    Shut up and Race!

Spyder Garage

looks like forrest is close to what you need since hes about the same distence as you but for me living in kansas 250 miles away i coast us 600 dollars.rooms were 74,a night and then what we ate thet wasent free from the ones we got from the spyder fest tickets which were about 6 meals,and good ones too.you got to do it at least once it was the best ralley of any one ive been too,and i have been to a lot 53 motorcycles,of all kinds and as many ralleys.so dont miss it ,you will love it grate time and many planed things to do.hope to see you both there,

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    In that I know Forrest, thanks for putting a smile on my face, Bob.

Chris

Spyder Garage

I would submit a couple more things. Rent buy a light weight truck trailer. U-haul or someplace to rent. Farm equipment to buy flat beds with decent tire size. I hate 8 inch wheels at 65 MPM. Long term thinking or planning something, like a drop tail trailer. Expensive to start, but nice to have around, easy loading and they fold up to store.
    Motels, depending on Region, run about 60 to 99 for me. Many have
    Contienal Breadfests which vary from fair to very good. Most, for example have waffle makers. Very simple, hot and tastful. Know what Organazitions you belong and ask about discounts. Mine averaged close to 10 every night. GWRRA, NRA, Seniors, Some credit cards. Not the 15 20 or or so at a resturant for breadfest. I use a National hotel site if I know where I will be. I can call and see if they have (or go on line) to see what they have available.
    What for lunch. Most all truck stops have wraped cold or microwavable sandwhiches. Some pizza by the slice. a 1/3 or so from a resturant,
    Oldmanzuesunless you like a big lunch.
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

...in the pink (Girls On Spyders) flamingobabe's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

we travel alot...but on 2 bikes...it cost about $200 per day...think about asking Len if you could ship a box to Cowtown or to the hotel...then ship it home...thats what we do when we need extra things...wedding etc....1 pair of jeans should get you there and 2 shirts...ship the other clothes

#IamARyder #RideASpyder #CanAmSpyder

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Gas, Red Bulls and some snacks will get you there. If you drink enough of them, then the first night you wont need a place to sleep. Just spend it washing up the spyder and any others that are parked near you. Trust me, this works. The second night you will crash hard so any motel will work. You wont be too picky by then. I suggest loading up on Twinkies since they never go bad and you can carry then back and forth year after year.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Twinkies, RedBull and Starbucks. The Official foods of the Florida X-Press

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    SERIOUSLY, with that uber cool camper you have I bet $ 1200 at the absolute most you would need.....and since I want you to go ......because me and my Lady will be there .....I'll cover everything over $1200......How's that for a DEAL .....That's what friend's are for .....Mike

HEY BUDDY, OLE PAL..... I'm riding out to UTAH in the spring, will you cover everything over $1200 for me as well...?????

016.jpg

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Total cost of a Spyderfest trip

Not to sound like a nagger, but if you have to skrimp and not sure if you can afford it then you shouldn't go. I took a road trip on my Goldwing with 5 other riders from Toronto down route66 to California, up the PCH, back into Oregon, Montana, the Dakota's and home. I was gone for 28 days, slept in average hotels and ate whatever and wherever I wanted. Didn't chinch one bit and I spent about $4300CND.

If you think you can't afford it stay home for one more year. You'll be glad you did because you'll have a better trip next time.

Thanks

arntufun

Quote Originally Posted by rickeggett View Post
    Not to sound like a nagger, but if you have to skrimp and not sure if you can afford it then you shouldn't go. I took a road trip on my Goldwing with 5 other riders from Toronto down route66 to California, up the PCH, back into Oregon, Montana, the Dakota's and home. I was gone for 28 days, slept in average hotels and ate whatever and wherever I wanted. Didn't chinch one bit and I spent about $4300CND.

If you think you can't afford it stay home for one more year. You'll be glad you did because you'll have a better trip next time.

Thanks

I must have missed the part where I wrote and said......... I have to skrimp and I'm not sure if I can afford it .

Sorry, I will be more clear ........... I would like to know in advance the total cost of a Spyderfest trip from a guy that likes to pay cash instead of using credit. Is that better ???????
    Last edited by arntufun; 11-27-2012 at 09:45 PM.

MOgang member & Pyro-Lady Joanie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

OK... I understand food and hotels are important, but you all are forgetting two of the most important things when you visit our wonderful state of Missouri......wine and beer!!!! LOL. Don't forget to calculate that into your cost.

MoGang is planning a spectacular SpyderFest 2013!!!!

We will be "letting the cat out of the bag" in the next week or so!!!!!

Stay tuned!!!!

Can't wait to see all of our spyder friends!!!
    Spyderfest 2017 -- Magic 8.

Joanie

MOgang member & Pyro-Lady Joanie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by flamingobabe View Post
    we travel alot...but on 2 bikes...it cost about $200 per day...think about asking Len if you could ship a box to Cowtown or to the hotel...then ship it home...thats what we do when we need extra things...wedding etc....1 pair of jeans should get you there and 2 shirts...ship the other clothes
    Charlene... ship or skip the other clothes!!! LOL

Can't wait to see you guys again!!

Merry Christmas to you and Hot Glue!!!

See you soon

Love
    Joanie & Kev
    Spyderfest 2017 -- Magic 8.

Joanie