Spyder Garage

Default Driving and safety and visibility

Just curious of those who own an RT-S SE5- do you drive during the daytime with your fog lights on for increased visibility? I know in the safety class they tell you to drive during the daytime with the high beams on----do you? and how about the fog lamps? LED's?

Thanks!

Spyder Garage

I have never ridding with fog lights or high beams on in the daytime, never found a need. When I'm driving around in my cage I have no issue seeing any bike a head of me with just a single beam. The spyder is a lot easier to see than a two wheeled bike. If your new to ridding and want to make sure your seen I suppose it wouldn't hurt.

harry
    "Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus"
    My Rides;
    Nimbus 2000, Ford Anglia, 2012 Spyder RT Limited, Pre 14 Vintage Classic Collectors Edition!

Favorite Ride;
    Nimbus 2000 boy this thing can fly.

Mods:
    Charm of invisibility, Reparo Charm (cuts down on service cost)

One always wonders about roads not taken.

Spyder Garage

I usually ride with the brights on during the day so the lights won't flash blue then.
    Ray
    "Instead of arriving in Heaven in a nice well perserved body I'd rather slide in feet first, all beat up, loudly proclaiming thank you Jesus for a great ride!"

Registered Users JJW SpyderRider's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I always ride with low beams and fog lights. The projection headlight on the Spyder have a narrow beam that can be hard to see at some angles. When riding in groups sometimes a can't see some of the Spyders behind me, its like their lights are going on and off due to the angle.

RT-S: HMT brake light, mud flap lights/turn signals, Trailer hitch, Garmin 660 GPS, Ride-On, Travel cover, LED Mirror turn signals, LED trunk lighting, RGB ground effect lighting, BajRon anti-sway bar, to be continued ......

Member of the WSR (Woodstock Spyder Riders)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Elembytes View Post
    Just curious of those who own an RT-S SE5- do you drive during the daytime with your fog lights on for increased visibility? I know in the safety class they tell you to drive during the daytime with the high beams on----do you? and how about the fog lamps? LED's?

Thanks!
    I don't use my high-beams, but I leave my fog lights on all the time. My mechanic says I should not when riding around town because of the drain on the battery. I drive a mixture of both freeway and surface, so I think the motor revs enough to keep the battery charged. Also only have the channel light LED's, and they are on all the time.
    Is it Friday yet? ... Oh yeah, I forgot. I'm retired

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold
    2014 RT - Testing completed
    2016 F3-T Audio package - Sold

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I ryde with both the fog lights on and the headlights on high. Also have LED bright sides (front and back), brighter bulbs in the fender tip lights, mudflap lights, LED strips on both front fenders running the length of the fenders, and a third brake light mounted high on my RT's trunk. The bright sides, mudflap lights, fender tip lights and fender LEDs operate with my turn signals. Also have a brake light modulator hooked up that allows for a variety of brake light flashing patterns. IMO the lights make me more visible so they all come on when the key is turned.
    2016 F3-L Special Series? Mods: Lamonster IPS end caps w/ Gripper 3rd pegs, GPS mount, Power Plate, Perf. Muffler; Backoff Brake Light Strobe; CD Front (amber/red) Brightsides & Tip Kit; ISCI Flag Holder w/Long Poles; BRP Signature Light, Aux Lights, Saddlebag Liners, Garmin 590 GPS; TricLED foam Grips, LEDs (Aux/headlights); Pitbull Driving Lights; RDL seat; Ultimate backrest

Previous ryde: 2012 RT-L, 26,636 miles on it when traded; 2014 RT-L, 34,147 miles on it when traded

Spyder Garage

I always ride with the fog lights on and I changed the fender lights to yellow LED bulbs.
    2014 Timeless Black RTS/SE - BRP CB/Comm System; BRP Zumo 660 GPS System; BRP Cellphone Interface; BRP ST-1 Helmets w/BRP Headsets; BRP XM Radio; BRP Tri-Axis Handlebars; BRP Adj Wind Deflectors; BRP Adj Vent Windshield; BRP Comfort Seat & Utopia Backrest; Corbin Armrests; HMT Brake Light; TricLED 3/4 Brake & Running Lights; TricLED Fender Lights & Rr Cargo Lights; CD Fender TIPS Kit; Bump Skid; Scorpio i900 Alarm; Touratech GPS Locking Mount; NBV Highway Mounts; BBP Brake Pedal, Stebel horn.

Spyder Garage

I have a RT LTD. I also have Elka shocks. They raised the front end enough to make the lights bright but I have never had anyone flash their lights at me. I always ride daytime with high beams, LEDs & fog-lights on. At night I use low beam but keep fogs on all the time. For the rear, I added a brake stobe kit that utilizes a rapid strobe function for the first four seconds each time I hit the brake.
    2015 an Am Spyder RT Limited
    2013 Yamaha WR250R - Sold
    2011 Can Am Spyder RT-S SE5 Limited - Sold
    2011 Aspen Sentry Trailer
    2003 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2007 Unigo Trailer - Sold
    2001 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2001 Honda 750 NightHawk - sold
    2015 RT Ltd , Canamspyderaccessories Brake pedal ext. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyRyd View Post
    I ryde with both the fog lights on and the headlights on high. Also have LED bright sides (front and back), brighter bulbs in the fender tip lights, mudflap lights, LED strips on both front fenders running the length of the fenders, and a third brake light mounted high on my RT's trunk. The bright sides, mudflap lights, fender tip lights and fender LEDs operate with my turn signals. Also have a brake light modulator hooked up that allows for a variety of brake light flashing patterns. IMO the lights make me more visible so they all come on when the key is turned.
    I have Most of the above and Always use High Beams during the day because everything helps, Also- Never assume someone sees you -Better to assume they don,t see you and be prepared!!!

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

I always use low beams and fog lights. I have 10,000 miles and no problems.
    4" Stubby antenna, Dual arm LEDs Fender LEDs, Back Rest, Luggage Rack, Run, Brake and Strobe for top case, Mirror LEDs,Back Off decal on mud flap, reciptal for Battery Tender and Heated Gear, mirror LEDs that stay on or work with blinkers, GPS, side bag red LEDs, Top cuff with Ram Ball phone holder And USB power, Top cuff with drink holder and passenger cup holder. Also grilles in front of radiators, also spyclops. Garmin 595 GPS, Freedom windshield. Also glove box console And trunk wrap in carbon fiber from wrap my spyder. BRP comfort seat. added garage opener with rocker switch in center console to match other switches. And I have added Elka stage 2 shocks.
    15 rt , yes Black

Spyder Garage

Normally have low beams on and fog lights...can you have too much light?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

High beams and fog lights during the day for me.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Cool always on

Hi here in australia all new bikes have thier lights hardwired to be on at all times , there is no lights on-off switch just high-low beams.
    cheers mick

Registered Users JJW SpyderRider's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mick ruhdorf View Post
    Hi here in australia all new bikes have thier lights hardwired to be on at all times , there is no lights on-off switch just high-low beams.
    cheers mick
    Same here just that are head lights are mounted high and the fog lights are mounted low. The fog lights can be turned off but the head lights can not, just high/low.

RT-S: HMT brake light, mud flap lights/turn signals, Trailer hitch, Garmin 660 GPS, Ride-On, Travel cover, LED Mirror turn signals, LED trunk lighting, RGB ground effect lighting, BajRon anti-sway bar, to be continued ......

Member of the WSR (Woodstock Spyder Riders)

Spyder Garage

Foglights all the time and high beams in the day for me, too. Be sure your headlights are not already adjusted too high with your normal rider/passenger/cargo load. I highly recommend the ESI/Custom Dynamics Mudflap Lights, and HMT or Third Taillight, too. Any lights you add help, including the ESI/Custom Dynamics Brightsides. The only thing proven in studies to reduce accidents is hi-vis clothing, however, especially on the parts that move, mainly your upper body and head. A hi-vis helmet and jacket are even more readily seen than the lights...and are at eye level.
    Last edited by NancysToy; 11-25-2012 at 09:45 PM.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Low beams, foglights, dayrunners on the A frame bars is the combo that I use. It's the law to drive with headlights on, on the Higways here.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default SAFETY FIRST !! Just Goes To Show You Country Differences

As some of you know I am currently living in China the past 5+ years. I have ridden my 125cc POC (piece of crap) more than 30 kilometers. I always ride with lights on 24 ~ 7 !!

every time I go out people point at me to turn my lights off "YES OFF" and yes even step off the side walk to physically turn them off for me..... Go Figure!! Now I slap their hands!

The CHINESE are so concerned about saving energy that many Chinese will drive their motorcycles even cars with "LIGHTS OFF" 24 ~ 7 !!

YES you read it right "LIGHTS OFF" in the dead of night !! I can't tell you how many times I have just missed someone that is so stupid and wish to die just to save a few pennies.. Are they really saving anything??? only the filliment in the bulb. The energy is produced free (so to speak) from the charging system.

Many bikes never get the brake or turn signal light fixed when they burn out.... Running in the DARK!! How do you know when they have suddenly braked? When your up their %^&*
    Last edited by MrLooney; 11-26-2012 at 03:08 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Low beams, foglights on, and LED fendertip lights...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black